Mercedes and Marklin

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Frans
True Blue

Mercedes and Marklin

Post by Frans »

Just some pics

Unfortunately I took the wrong lens on my camera (no fish eye) on it but here they are

Mercedes Maclaren for sale used only 6800 km new price 545.000 euro in okt 2008 now only 370.000 :shock:

the old ones

the 50ths

the fastest car ever on the public road 1930th 435 km/h

and the "new"prototype from the 30th

and some pics from the Marklin Treffen
BR 23 042

and some Unimogs the ones I like too

regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Great pictures, Frans!
I really like the Unimogs and that Mercedes truck in the back!
I am going to visit the museum in November.

Too bad it was that busy with Märklin! :?
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

I thought I hade a pic fro some trucks at the museum

but here it is

and Pascal there is much much to see
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Great photos! I was a bit afraid that it would be extremely busy this year in Göppingen, with the company on the brink of bankruptcy yet still celebrating its 150th Anniversary.

Interestingly enough, you have a photo of a Baureihe 23 steamer (the one with the kids hanging out of the window). During the '50s and '60s, Märklin used to make a model version of this locomotive:

^---This is my old one. Now this year, in 2009, Märklin has made a fully new version of this model, which was newly engineered from the ground up. It is not my habit to buy new Märklin models, only old ones, but I am making an exception for this new model of the BR23.

^---This isn't mine, as mine is still on order and has not been delivered yet. It will be my birthday present this year :) .

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Frans,

The truck on the last picture, we used to have one as a firetruck in our villege. Brings out great memories. I can't wait to go there myself in November. ;-)

Hi Oscar,
Looks like a great birthday gift to me. :D
Do you drive you trains too, or do you keep them in a showcase?
I have a small collection of old Märklin trains myself. I used to drive them around in my bedroom.
Best regards,
Pascal

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Pascal wrote:Hi Oscar, Do you drive you trains too, or do you keep them in a showcase? I have a small collection of old Märklin trains myself. I used to drive them around in my bedroom.
I don't have the necessary space in my house to make a permanent model railroad track, though I did have a small one in the shed for a few years that was designed as a 1960's Märklin lay-out from the start. I did not want to make the world's most beautiful lay-out (I can't even do that - way too difficult) but I wanted to re-create some of that Märklin magic from many years ago. If you want to see some pics of that and a full story of how I designed it, built it and eventually dismantled it, click here. Even the plastic houses and buildings were original 1960's that I had restored.

These days I have my trains in a display, but every few weeks or so I will get out the tracks and make a lay-out on the floor during the week-end and then I'll drive all my models a little bit. It's great fun!

If you can email me some photos (good ones, big ones, that show all the details) of your models, then I can tell you if there is anything collectible in there and what it's approximate worth is. Some of the old models are quite expensive now, whereas others go for 30 euros.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Oscar,

Your pictures look great!
I have the same round hotel and the shed with the sliding door for my trains.

Unfortunately I have all the trains packed in boxes, so it's not easy to make pictures of them.
Most of them were from my father. In the 80's and 90's I bought some trains by myself.
It's amazing, that the older trains still run very good! Proven quality by Märklin! :D
Best regards,
Pascal

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Pascal wrote:Most of them were from my father.
Hang on to those, they could be valuable! Make sure they're stored securely, i.e. not subjected to too much cold, heat or moisture.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Thank you for the advice, Oscar.
I will do that. The trains are safely stored in boxes in our attack, so they are not really subjected to cold and heat.
Some day I hope to enjoy riding these trains with my own children. :)
Best regards,
Pascal

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Well I drive and work work with my majors but I collect the other blue ones

regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Frans wrote:Well I drive and work work with my majors but I collect the other blue ones
What a coincidence, Frans! I collect Märklin from the same period that you do! Your crocodiles look great - the 3015 is still missing from my collection due to its high price.

Apart from locomotives, I also collect the tin-plate coaches from that period but only the ones with the old-fashioned windows such as this one:

This is one of my favorite coaches - it's pure vintage Märklin!

As for technology, these old beasts are indestructible. Here are the innards of my 3027.4 (which is a really rare piece due to its Fälsche Tenderaufschrift):

This model is equipped with Telex and every time the relay is switched, it rotates a vertical shaft to which various electric contacts are attached, thereby powering different parts of the circuit as needed. Real locomotives (diesel and electric ones, not steamers) essentially work in the same way and have the same kind of controller (which is rotated manually by the driver).

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Me and my brother had a collection of Märklin trains and railroads that was buildt up on a big table that hang from the sealing and was lifted up and away when not in use. It had remote controlled junktions and sidings, railroadcrossings, bridges and a tunnel. We had five locomotives, one was a steamer like the one above, and two smaller ones. Then we had two diesels and about 15
railway wagons.
As we grow older we packed all in boxes for storage in te attic and then many years later when i got an idea to build it all up again i could not find it anywhere exept for some small parts. I suspect that som of our tenants that we had back then had stolen ewerything from our attic. As I noticed it until 20 years later it was nothing I coud do about it. :stress:

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Apart from locomotives, I also collect the tin-plate coaches from that period
I collect them too aswel the older freight train cars from the 46xx series, the cars in the display are for sale I think abouth a county for as the Roadless is finished.

If anyone ever need some parts for the marklin just send me a mail i have lots of parts (wish they where fordson)
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Frans wrote:I collect them too aswel the older freight train cars from the 46xx series ..... If anyone ever need some parts for the marklin just send me a mail i have lots of parts
(Since we're talking trains here I'm switching to Dutch)

Frans, leuk om te zien dat we dezelfde interesse hebben! Ik verzamel locs in de lichtblauwe doosjes, rijtuigen in de groene doosjes en goederenwagens in de rode doosjes. Dat was Märklin's beste periode vind ik, hoewel ik dit jaar (voor het eerst!) wat spaarcenten heb uitgegeven aan compleet nieuwe modellen (omdat ik voor het eerst sinds de jaren '60 nieuwe modellen tegenkom die ik echt mooi vind). Omdat ik geen ruimte heb voor een permanente baan en ik toch af en toe wil rijden, heb ik een stapel C-rails gekocht op Marktplaats en een mobile station, dus een paar digitale locs komen dan ook wel van pas :) .

Over onderdelen gesproken: eigenlijk is alles wat ik heb compleet, er zijn maar twee onderdelen waar ik al jaren naar zoek en niet kan vinden. Misschien dat jij ze hebt? Ten eerste mist mijn 3022 (E94, Duitse krokodil) één van de vier metalen cabinetrapjes. Dit onderdeel zit bevestigd aan de handgrepen naast de cabinedeuren, maar bij mij mist een van die trappetjes.

Het tweede wat ik mis is een metalen plaatje onder de stroomafnemer van dit rijtuig:

Ik heb destijds het rijtuig gekocht samen met een paar andere wagens en de stroomafnemer ontbrak geheel. Die stroomafnemer had ik vrij snel gevonden, maar er hoort een metalen plaatje onder te zitten dat de kromming van het dak compenseert:

Groeten,
Oscar

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Oke dan maar in het nederlands,

De periode met de Blauwe dozen vindt ik ook de mooiste modellen hebben, Ik ga me wel eens te buiten aan een nieuw model op basis van de oude (nohabs en F7) verder heb ik dit jaar de nieuwe krokodillen set en de Le Capitol gekocht, de oude lok had ik al maar de wagens (2 stuks) heb ik in een grijs verleden verkocht omdat ik het een utopie vond om er ooit 4 te bezitten en nu heb ik ze toch :D.

Als je me even je adres geeft stuur ik de onderdelen die je vroeg op, ik heb alleen geen orginele binnen isolatie voor die wagon maar ja dat zit binnen..

Rijden doe ik niet met de treinen ,heb ook aleen maar dochters en die vinden het leuk voor 5 minuten, mijn baan (een orginele fabrieksbaan) heb ik afgelopen winter verkocht hij stond al 15 jaar ongebruikt in de schuur en is nu weer met liefde door iemand opgeknapt.

groet Frans
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

(If anyone else wants to talk Märklin then just let me know and I'll be happy to go back to English :) ).

Ik heb ook zitten dubben over die Capitole set maar heb het niet gedaan, aan de ene kant omdat mijn jaarlijkse budget voor treinen beperkt is en aan de andere kant omdat de wagons op teveel punten verschillen van de oude (zie ook deze pagina). Die oude Capitole wagens zijn een fortuin waard tegenwoordig.

Ongelofelijk dat jij die onderdelen hebt liggen!! Ik zoek daar al ik-weet-niet-hoe-lang naar en was eigenlijk al tot de conclusie gekomen dat de enige oplossing is om andere exemplaren te kopen die wel compleet zijn. Maar als ik dan lees dat jij een originele fabrieksbaan had dan is de verbazing helemaal compleet.... Ik ben vorige winter naar Sneek afgereisd om de gerestaureerde fabrieksbaan aldaar te bezichtigen...

...en was enorm onder de indruk van de charme van zo'n oude baan.

Ik zal je mijn adres via email doorgeven. Overigens wil ik je met plezier betalen voor deze onderdelen en je portokosten vergoeden!!

Dank & groeten,
Oscar

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Chaps,

There was a package in the mail today with a bunch of Märklin stickers, a bunch of Märklin balloons and..... two very rare parts from '60s Märklin models!! It's a small miracle is that Frans has these spare parts, as they're very rare. And he sent them to me, just like that!

Frans, many thanks!!

:clap:

:beer:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Talking trains in Dutch, to us non Dutch speaking people is like someone telling us a story about there tractor without pictures. Oh, who is it that always says, " this thread is worthless without pictures."
Sorry Oscar, I just had to have some fun with that. :lol: :lol:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Mark, if you think Dutch is had to read, just remember that English is not everybodys first language, and if Oscar and Frans want to write in Dutch, so be it. Personally I find "American English" sometime hard to comprehend as some words used in the US, are not used here, or outside North America. :stress: Cheers TSG.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The worst thing about the Dutch language is trying to speak it! :twisted:

Ask Henk about the problems Ann and I have with "G"s and "H"s :D

If you look long and hard at the written word, you can make sense from it.

Like German, I had to read technical information when working with Claas and Zonna BV, without knowing anything about the speaking part, in fact, the spoken word sometimes makes things more confusing.

Strangely, I could understand the spoken word quite clearly when my colleagues hit their hand with a hammer or the spanners slipped. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

I switched to Dutch because the discussion got rather specific and I haven't got a clue what the proper English terms are for certain Märklin-specific tidbits. It just made it a bit easier. In the past, Jos used to translate little bits into French when someone from France came on the forum whose English was insufficient to grasp what was being said. I have no problem with that, provided we switch to English when someone asks us to. If someone else is also interested in old Märklin and wants to chime in, it'll be glad to translate it all :) !

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
Sometimes I can figure out what some of the words are by studying them closely. I'm in awe of languages of the world, I only wish I could speak more than one. When I was growing up our schools provided two languages, I took Spanish and Latin, but didn't do that well in them. Now I can remember a few things but not much.
If I lived over amongst all of my friends I would try to learn to speak it if I could.
Brian, are you getting better every time you go on holiday to Holland? How does the H and G sound?
I have a natural born Romanian for a niece here in Kentucky and I have learned some of that language, but that's about it. She speaks 4 languages fluently. She's very shy and won't speak it to us only to her husband my nephew.
We never get to old to learn, so who knows, there's still time. :wink:
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The other way round! G's become H's.

We have great fun with Henk and Janneke when it comes to pronouncing a local town's name, Goes, which is pronounced Hoos with a hard H.

We also have some strange pronunciations in town names, Wymondham is Windham and Happisburg is Haysborough.

And just to return to the subject of train sets, I had a Hornby Double "O", Duchess Class, "Duchess of Atholl".
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

One side of my family tree is from Holland, my great granddad was a VanHusen back in the early 1600's. So if I understand about the H's sound then my granddad's name would sound like VanGoesen, witha a hard G. I'm just think it may be backwards from G being pronounced H, to the H sounding like a G? I'm sure someone will chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, which I most assuredly am.

I was showing my 7 year old grandson Oscars trains and the lay out he has on his train forum. He said, "papaw why can't we have one of those in your garage." Now what do you think I said, it seems Santa will be bringing home some trains this coming Christmas. It will be fun. I had a Lionel train set when I was a boy, but not an elaborate set like I see here. I believe Europe has the best looking trains anywhere, my dad told me once that I had ridden on a Malley Locomotive passenger train but I don't remember it.

Brian, how do you get Windham from Wymondham and Haysborough from Happisburg? I can see Wy**dham with the "mon" silent, but not the Haysborough from Happisburg. How does that work out?
We are a strange lot aren't we.
See ya
Mark

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Mark wrote:I was showing my 7 year old grandson Oscars trains and the lay out he has on his train forum. He said, "papaw why can't we have one of those in your garage." Now what do you think I said, it seems Santa will be bringing home some trains this coming Christmas. It will be fun.
:thumbs: