Safety Frame? Maybe Not !

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Safety Frame? Maybe Not !

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Hi all,
As some may have noticed, I have not been 'on-line' this weekend.
Had a 'little accident', my own stupid fault :oops: so didn't feel much like doing anything.

Lesson 1 in tractor safety: Trees change :rulez:

Requested by 'the boss' to harrow and roll what we call 'the winter field' now that the horses have been moved off.
Along the one side, there is an overhang of some fairly big Oak trees, from the neighbours Shark. I've driven under these many times in the past. This time was different. :(

Going uphill, low gear with a fair bit of power, pulling the harrow.
Almost there but a 5 inch diameter branch had obviously 'lowered' since last year. :stress:
Branch and roll bar met, something had to give, it was the branch.
Snapped off quick and clean, whipped round with the force of a spring as it broke.
Hit me clean on the side of my head. :eyes:

Results:
Split ear, much blood (although looked worse than it was), plenty of bruising, very effective prolonged headache.
BUT, my Major is unmarked :D

We 'live and learn' (I hope) :!:

Regards,
Thick Head (in more ways than one :oops: )

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mike
Glad to hear that you're still here to report on it, and laugh about it.
Hope that the Major is ok also.
I've noticed that a few of the board members have horses, and use Fordsons to maintain their properties. Myself included.

Safety frames can be a pain around trees, but if you have anything that has even the slightist slope, you're mad if you don't have a safety frame fitted. I must admit that my safety frame has been sitting in the shed for awhile. Must put that job to the top of the list.
Kiwi Kev

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Oh dear, that sounds painful :( . Take care, Mike. Hope it will heal OK.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

How is the tractor? :shock: Not damaged I hope, the show is coming!

I am lucky, the oaks around my fields have high branches but one of the hazel nut hedges has been a pain so is getting "pruned" with the chain saw slowly. I had my glasses whipped off by that. Being short sighted it was a little while before I found them. Luckily they fell in front of the plough and I was quick with the clutch before they disappeared in the furrow.

By the way, hope you are OK although, unlike the tractor, we humans seem to self repair eventually.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian