Oscar's Christmas Engine

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oscar's Christmas Engine

Post by Brian »

We have had a little snow this year before Christmas and, as usual, England ground to a halt. Here in Norfolk we had power cuts due to power lines breaking due to ice and branches falling on them. The repair people worked hard in appalling conditions to get power back to us but the local radio was inundated with calls complaining about how poor the service was and how things should be improved. One person in a remote village was complaining bitterly that she was stuck in the house with a sick child and no power. She would be selling up and returning to London as soon as possible.

We have got to a state of mind where everyone is not responsible for their decisions and someone else is always to blame when things go wrong. If you move to a remote location, surely you should make alternative arrangements for power, light and heat if you have a young family.

We had an enjoyable power cut with candle light and a wood burner, but there again, I'm an old romantic. :D

The Friday of the snow, I had to carry out a delivery to Ely. Took this picture of the workshop and the bacon buttie stall where we had lunch. I take Ann to some really swish places, isn't she lucky.

I did not take many pictures on our Boxing Day walk at Salthouse. It has become rather depressing to see how our wonderful government is allowing the sea to encroach on the village. Salt water is now entering the marshes through huge gaps in the sea defenses and I can imagine, in my lifetime, that the North Sea will be at the village. The fishermen will be fishing off the coast road!

After our walk we always head for Sheringham station for the toilets. (as one gets older one has to plan these things) :lol:
We bought our festive ice cream and walked along the sea front with the wind coming in off the sea. Bit draughty but it certainly blows away the cobwebs in your mind.

On the sea front is this memorial to the brave Sheringham lifeboat men who are famous throughout the British Isles for rescuing mariners from the ravages of the North Sea. This is the original lifeboat shed.

Oscar's Christmas engine is a little different this year.

It is a set of steam "Gallopers" made by Fredrick Savage and Company in Kings Lynn in the 1880s and still touring round fair grounds to this day. It has been erected outside "The Forum", a modern monstrosity built of glass in the heart of Norwich to house a library and the local BBC radio station. (Don't get me started on modern architecture).

The carving and painting of these wooden horses has been restored to exactly how it was all those years ago and is really colourful and vibrant. Fredrick Savage and his company has ceased to exist many years ago but his workmanship still lives on.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Oscar's Christmas Engine

Post by Oscar »

Brian wrote:Oscar's Christmas engine is a little different this year.
:yeah:

Nice to see how well that old beauty has been preserved!