I never thought I would say this

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

I never thought I would say this

Post by Brian »

I have had a Ford PM plough for many years, it has not done a lot of work as I only got it for ploughing behind Henrietta at plough days as it was historically correct. It was built by Ford at Leamington Spar casting works for the E27N, the original design was by Sherman and some were made by Ransomes. Ransomes supplied the bodies etc. Mine has EPIC.

The work was not good as there is little clearance between the furrows and it has very small skim coulters.

As it is also light, I used it when carrying out paint spraying courses on farms so she has had a few coats of paint over the years.

I decided this year to change Dotty's lift arms to enable me to use CAT 2 implements. Most of the tools I have collected over the years are CAT 2 to fit Henrietta and Nuffy so it seemed the sensible thing to do if I wanted to work her. I know that it is not correct to have those arms but she has to work so I bought some from Agriline along with the balls.

This Spring, when I could finally get on the land, I hitched Dotty to the PM to plough some short plots. The results were a big surprise. The plough performed far better than at any time in the past years, with the wheel set at the depth I wanted and in draft control, with the lever set just to allow the wheel to take the weight, we have ploughed land that I would not have thought possible due to wetness.

Things have gone so well that I have ploughed all my potato land with the combination and even ploughed hard packed areas which have not been ploughed for a few years, with ease.

I know that I go on about the Dexta hydraulics being superior to the dreaded MF but to me, they are the finest thing since sliced bread!

Just a couple of pictures from the "Hot Seat" this morning.

And she was ploughing through this with only the occasional touch on the brake.

The "Ins and Outs" were neat, I was not even trying to get them perfect. The PM is a short plough and this seemed to keep everything just right.

I would certainly recommend this combination to anyone and will be taking it to the next plough day, who knows, I might even win a prize! :shock:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

There you go Brian.
Life is full of little surprises.

One point though if you are planning to compete with it...

You missed a bit :run:

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ah yes Mike, that is the problem with REAL ploughing, a little dip in the field due to the potato baulks and you get a SLIGHT miss. :cry:

However that will never happen in competion ploughing! The fields are leveled with a grader before the competition boys will deem to drop their ploughs in and anyway, most use a spade to fill in areas like that! :shock: :roll:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Great story and great pictures, Brian!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Brian wrote:Ah yes Mike, that is the problem with REAL ploughing, a little dip in the field due to the potato baulks and you get a SLIGHT miss. :cry:

However that will never happen in competion ploughing! The fields are leveled with a grader before the competition boys will deem to drop their ploughs in and anyway, most use a spade to fill in areas like that! :shock: :roll:
Nice one Brian, I remember quiet well that plough, we sold quiet a number of s/h one's , My Boss used to buy them at Cambridge Machinery Sale, back in the late 50s , I serviced many of the Majors we sold and one thing farmers used to say about the PM was they always seemed to plough a deeper middle furrow, I think some Ploughmen even just fitted new socks to the back and front and us a part worn one in the middle. Wonder if you ever noticed this,
Just a little interested as well to know where the engine in the Petrol Dexta came from, Would it be home grown or was it imported from somewhere, Jim.

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Brian,

You're not suggesting some of the competition guys 'bend' things a little bit are you? :)
Sadly, I've never had the chance to plough, Kath wont let me, says the horses needs come first :shock: I've tried telling her you say I must, to stop the exhaust 'oil blow' but she won't wear it :(

Jim,

My god! What are you doing?
You've started Brian off on his petrol Dextas again!
Please don't ask about grill colours as well :roll:

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

One point though if you are planning to compete with it...

You missed a bit
Thats why its illegal to drive and take pictures :lol:
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Jim,
She is only a two furrow and they match up OK so I can not comment. I have had her twenty years and done some fair work with her but I prefer BIG skims that put the trash in the bottom of the furrow, like the SN ones on the TS82.

Dotty's engine is a Standard Motor Company Industrial, similar to the petrol MF 35 (but far better). :D
Brian