MF finger mower

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Jerry Coles
True Blue

MF finger mower

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi all
As Fordson don't make mowers I feel that a request here for info on MF mowers is OK!
I have a MF mower and am looking for a user and parts manual for it.
The problem is I can't identify it and it's too far away at the moment to photograph it.
So here is my description:
Red paint with traces of an MF logo.
Large teardrop cover on the back held on with 3 rubber clips.
A leg goes under the RH lift arm to adjust level of the blade.
Drive is from two belts to an eccentric pulley and from there a shaft connects to the inner end of the cutter blade.
There is a breakaway mechanism on the RHS with a rod to the cutter bar which then connects to a lever which tries to twist a spring loaded, chamfered block against two bars welded onto the frame.
Any info or help gratefully received.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There was indeed a Ford Ransomes mower, I own one! But the M-F mower is more readily available, there were more made as it was the only piece of equipment you could get any M-F tractor to work! :twisted:

Seriously though, they are a pretty good finger bar mower and parts are still available for them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Brian
The problem is:
What is its type number and where can I get parts etc?
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you tried googling on 'images' (as opposed to 'web') - quite a few MF mowers come up?

Let us know how you get on - I'm in the market for a mower :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Is this the beast? I have one with the original maker's plate, it's a MF 327. I haven't found original parts anywhere over here but I'm always looking! It coped pretty well with the things I pointed it at last summer (dry oats, browntop, blue borage and other rubbish)but the small rocks hidden in the undergrowth gave the fingers hell.
:oops:
The two skids the cutter bar rides on also took a hiding from our gravelly soil.

cheers, Derek.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Derek
That's the beast!
Many thanks for the ID.
I'll let you know if I'm successful re: spares.
Do you have a manual?
I want to know how to set up the height/level of it.

many thanks
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mods
Perhaps this should be in the implement section as it's pretty useful?? :wink:

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Jerry,Hey, hole in one!
As for adjustments, the height of the cutter bar is simply by changing the height of the skids either end.
I don't have a manual, much the pity, but the general principal seems to be to have the bar set slightly ahead of square-on to the tractor, (use the double action screw arm under the big spring) The spring is a trip cam in case you hit something solid - it works, I can vouch for that!
Use the top link to set the angle you want the bar at, I have it leaning back to ride over stones.
The biggest problem I had was to be able to lower the mower gently, because of the way it acts, as I lower the lift arms it suddenly drops with a bump. I need an experienced person to explain the mechanism better...or a manual, like you!
I did find a useful library book which explained these general principals, rest from trial and much error!
Let us know how you get on, please.
cheers, Derek

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ther were two MF 20 mowers in the April edition of "Tractor and Machinery" on the implements page. 07052 601244. Gwent. The other was in Lincolnshire but had some fingers missing. 07052 600872.

Also a number of grey Fergy ones dotted around the adverts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

River
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by River »

Hi Jerry, This reply is probably a tad late, you have a MF60, the last finger mower made by MF and probably by anyone for the AG market, keep it. Cutter bar lead is the primary setting on all these mowers,ie, the outer end of the cutter bar should lead the inner side whilst mowing, everything else is straight forward, McCormick were at the fore front of sickle mowers, everyone else played catch up.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hi River, reason I called it a 327 is below, mind they did some funny things to equipment sent to NZ, like painting our grilles orange!!!

I've been prepping mine for some work seeing as spring is here, bit of sharpening and greasing. Have you any idea who does parts like fingers and blades?

Cheers, Derek.

River
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by River »

Hi KwL Dx, your are correct, same mower, cut many acres with it's predecessor the MF732 before the drum mower era. parts, try the Kramp web site, or some combine harvester knife sections may be the same, good to see yours has a steel pitman arm, 732 was wooden,
RE orange grills- we had 2 new dextas in 59 and a 61, both were delivered with orange grills, our NH -Ford_Fordson dealer had a clear out 8-10yrs ago , 20 or so dexta grills, guess what ORANGE!!!

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Jerry, would there be any chance of a photo of the plate the very outer knife section slides over, the rivets came loose and it was gone in the long grass, if I know approx. dimensions I can get one made! Cheers, derek.

mobyfarmer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: MF finger mower

Post by mobyfarmer »

Does anyone here have an MF60 finger mower they would like to part with, to a good home, and it will be used for cutting hay and much loved :)
Call 01559384849
Thanks
Toby

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Anyone had any luck with spares for MF finger bar mowers?

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

no still looking for pittman shaft for 732 :cry: