Slow sites loading this forum

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Grani
True Blue

Slow sites loading this forum

Post by Grani »

Is there a server problem or something? These forums sites are very slow compared to others on the net. Has someone else notice the same thing?

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Grani, no problems with this forum down here in NZ, nice and quick. Must be a server problem for you up there.Cheers TSG.(Its getting warm down here, I might have to put some :beer: in the fridge.)
Last edited by The Swanndri Guy on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Nice, I mean New Zealand is exactly on the other side of our planet from where I stand. :beer: So if the problem is here, then it is a long way from you. :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No problem here Grani. Site went down a week or so ago but that is all.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I do experience slow activity at times, often have to refresh and then item comes up . Maybe our third world system?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:I do experience slow activity at times, often have to refresh and then item comes up .
I second that sometimes in UK also. Sometimes when editing posts website seems to freeze.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I have the same problem as Mervyn Ben and Grani for a long time now.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Over here in the USA it seems to be good in the morning until about 9 AM. Then things start to slow down on all sites. I chalk it up to less internet traffic in the morning. I have a K-12 School just a half a mile down the road and wondered if the students on the computors, plus many businesses opening up put a greater load on the lines. Works better on Sunday morning when there is less demand. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:I do experience slow activity at times, often have to refresh and then item comes up . Maybe our third world system?
Here it is slow all the time. This message is then comming up.

Network Timeout The server at www.fordsontractorpages.nl is taking too long to respond.
The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

Grani
True Blue

Re: Slow sites loading this forum

Post by Grani »

The forum updated and very strange looking, but the old problem remains. :cry:

Network Timeout

The server at www.fordsontractorpages.nl is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Performance issues are one of the reasons that I upgraded the forum software. Both my own instincts and the server logs indicate that the new forum performs better :mrgreen: . Bear in mind that the server on which the site is hosted is based in Holland and there could be many reasons why a website seems slow, not all of which have to do with that website. I realize it is a hassle if you get time-out errors, but so far I have not found anything at all that I can change at my end.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I think it´s a temporary problem even if it has last for a relatively long time allready.

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

I notice that the profile pictures no longer show up. Is this permanent or are they coming back?
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Has anyone else got problems when you "Post replys" that you end up with "Cannot find server or DNS error"? :scratchhead: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Gavin wrote:I notice that the profile pictures no longer show up. Is this permanent or are they coming back?
I'm not completely sure which pictures you mean. If something did not get moved from the old forum to the new one, then I can probably do it manually. Which pictures are you referring to?

Regards,
Oscar

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:Has anyone else got problems when you "Post replys" that you end up with "Cannot find server or DNS error"? :scratchhead: TSG.
I sincerely hope not :eyes: . That message occurs when an internet address is not coupled to a server's IP address, or if the whole server is down. But if the server were down, you would not have been able to click on "Reply". And if the internet address www.fordsontractorpages.nl were not coupled to the hosting company's IP address, then you also would not have been able to click on "Reply". So this is a real puzzling error that you get, because it indicates you are communicating to a server that is not there :mrgreen: . All I can think of is that the connection speed occasionally mbecomes so slow that your computer "thinks" that the server is no longer there.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Oscar wrote:
Gavin wrote:I notice that the profile pictures no longer show up. Is this permanent or are they coming back?
I'm not completely sure which pictures you mean. If something did not get moved from the old forum to the new one, then I can probably do it manually. Which pictures are you referring to?

Regards,
Oscar

Oscar
I think Gavin is refering to avatar's
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Kiwi Kev wrote: Oscar
I think Gavin is refering to avatar's
Kiwi Kev
Ah, OK. I see. That can probably be arranged. Stay tuned.

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

yes the avatars are what i was referring to.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

Eric Schulz
True Blue

Post by Eric Schulz »

Living in a relatively civilised country, Australia, and not many km's from the telephone exchange, this and all other forums work perfectly. Slow downloads, therefore, are not due to the forum.

As to the look of the current forum, all I would change is to eliminate the phpBB text in the banner and perhaps make the heading a bit larger. Both totally unimportant, just a personal preference. That there are people to set up and run this forum is far more important. So, thank you.

Eric

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The "Relativly" part woulden't be from the likes of "Crocodile Dunde", would it now? Loved his flick, but he sure plays a rough charactor. :lol:

You sure have some Beautiful ladys in the land down under mate. :clap:

Things load fast here in the USA. I have DSL where I live. it was much slower in the days of "dial up." Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

henk

Post by henk »

Still loading slow on my computer, but I think its the provider and my pc.
Take some time to get used to the new layout but it works fine.

What means the little red stars you see on some topics at the forum index?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

henk wrote:What means the little red stars you see on some topics at the forum index?
The little stars indicate a popular discussion, with more than a certain number of replies in it.
Grani wrote:These forums sites are very slow compared to others on the net.
I've been thinking about this for a bit. Forums are super-dynamic. The pages always change when someone posts a message. The HTML code that your browser needs to visualize a page for you is created on the fly whenever someone clicks a button on a forum page. Lots of things happen when someone posts a message: the HTML is changed, there is a database change, etc etc. Non-forum websites are less interactive and therefore more constant in time, with less changes, and so they tend to load faster.

As an example, if you change your signature line in your messages, all you have to do click Submit after you've made your changes. But the forum software then proceeds to change your signature in every message you've ever posted here, which happens in the background, and which might slow things down a bit.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I am also active on a finnish phpBB (http://www.masinistit.com/index.php?sid ... ec45becf67) and a Swedish phpBB (http://fordson.se/phpBB2/index.php) forums and they loads very fast. This use to be as fast as they, until a month ago, when I wrote my first post about this problem. Grani

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. I'm in US and this site seems to be as fast as any other I get on. I'm not on dial up, if you want slow go to a dial up system.
Good luck to everyone.
Gman: 1959 Power Major