Calling New Zealand

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Calling New Zealand

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Just heard the morning news about New Zealand.
Is everyone OK, Kev, TSG etc. ?
Check in guys, keeping my fingers crossed that you are all unaffected.

Mike

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Calling New Zealand

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mike
I been listening to it on the radio today at work, and the TV is covering it from all angles at the moment.
I'm a New Zealander by birth, a Kiwi by name, and a proud one at that, but I live further north of New Zealand.
TSG lives just south of Auckland, so should be OK. I think Kiwiland Dexta is from Blenheim, which is at the top of the south island. Not sure if there are any members further south than Blenheim. Feel free to correct me if needed :curse:
My wife has a good friend in Christchurch, so will see if we can get in contact with her. They suffered some damage from the Sept earthquake also.
Besy wishes to everyone in Christchurch.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Mike, the earthquake was in Christchurch was 6.3, at 12.51 pm Tuesday 22/2/11 NZ time. Centre of the quake was 10km south of Christchurch, but only 5km underground, hence all the damage to buildings ,roads and infrastructure. 75 people confirmed dead, but thats expected to rise as there is still 300 people missing.Liquefaction is another problem, as is holes in the ground.Damage is much more extensive than Sept 2010 quake.Quake felt as far south as Dunedin.Will take years to fix. :eyes: As for me ,I'm 1000 km north of Christchurch on the North Island, so I'm not effected, but Derek and Peter are much closer in Blenheim and Nelson.TSG.
Last edited by The Swanndri Guy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Thoughts and Prayers for those affected. Glad to hear that you fellows are alright. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Well, what a crazy time, here in Blenheim we are 4 hours North of Chch, didn't even feel the quake, but we sure have seen some of its aftermath. Working in an appliance store we have had a stream of people from Chch through buying cellphone chargers, top-ups, torches, radios etc as all they got out with was themselves, their cars and their cellphones. Some with tales of death and all with descriptions of the mayhem. Motels are booked out as are campgrounds, ferries to the North Island leave from near here, streams going North and convoys of police, military and supplies South. It's beyond belief. people are even panicking here to stock up as there are wild predictions that "we're next." Our hospital has had people with fractures turn up as they'd rather get out of the city. People are offering beds, caravans, food, the school our kids attend collected a canned food item from every kid to send, and on and on... After a day of talking to these poor people with thier haunted eyes and kids that won't let go of their parents you're just about in tears, and we weren't even there!
On the positive, Trish's parents and all our friends down there are ok, just houses and businesses that are damaged. And the help pouring in from round the world is incredible - don't it bring the best out of the human race!
We sure are the 'shaky isles!'
Derek.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

henk

Post by henk »

Good to hear most people are ok. Damage to roads an building can be rebuild. But things will be in the mind of those who have experiance this earthquake for a long time.
Good luck to you all.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

I never knew that NZ was so susceptible to quakes. The photos and film footage I have seen so far are shocking. All the best to all affected, hang in there.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Oscar,As Derek refered to New Zealand as the "Shaky Isles" is a local reference to the fact that we do get earthquakes on a regular basis.The 4 most common regions, most likely in NZ to get earthquakes are Auckland,Bay of Plenty,Wellington and Canterbury.We all knew that NZ was due for an earthquake, we just didn't know where or when it was going to happen, and most people expected it to happen in or around Wellington( since there is nothing of any great importance there anyway.)Also most earthquakes happen around the Pacific Rim.Other than earthquakes in NZ, the only other natural disaster that would have a major effect on NZ, would be a volcanic eruption, and like earthquakes they can happen without warning too. :eyes: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900