family history

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
ford5000y
True Blue

Re: family history

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:So we fixed a bunch of piddly things on Grandpas Major (now referred to as Walter), and took him to Symco this summer as well, Marc pulled him in the 6,000 lb pure stock class and placed about in the middle of the pack, we can see we need to change a few things, including the head gasket.

The Embarrass river on the back of Grandmas and Grandpas farm is at a flood stage the last week and is higher than it gets most springs. It made a little mess of our campground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlMIQM3BDk

Looking at the picture, it looks like it once had the radiator shutter option, isn't it?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Guys,
All the campers stayed dry but one that was parked in a low spot, that one being referred to as the "bachelor pad" because the teenage boys bunk in it, it got a little wet in one corner but it really didn't wreck anything. the remaining campers were all at least a few inches above the water line.

I like putting the clevis on the top of the drawbar because it gets it rite up to the height limit, but it is a lot of leverage pulling down on that thing, It has me a little concerned as well.

I don't believe Walter had shutters, I don't remember the year but I believe he is a 58 or 59

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

How far did "Walter"pull the sled?

Well, I didn't know much about tractor pulling except from what I have learned from the internet, but we did pull something using our ford 5000 lately, and it was a massive mango stump that despite the fact that we have already dug the most of it, it still cost us our (only working) tow chain (it snapped) :cry: . We have to borrow two other (larger and heavier) tow chains and after several more unsuccessful tries, we managed to pull it off at full throttle, low gear with several instances of front wheels coming off the ground :lol:

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

What a good picture, Walter looks to be at the limit for grip with the front wheels just lifting, the back tyres squat down and just breaking the surface soil and Marc looking cool as if he`s done it sooo many times before!!
Is he sat on the seat or on the axle ? looks really low.
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I believe Marc and Walter got just past 200'
I have hooked on to many things but I don't believe I have ever pulled out a mango stump!

Marc actually had the seat flipped so that it was in the rear position, getting more weight in the back. I don't think he could even reach the steering wheel so he was steering Walter to the right by leaning to the left fender, he learned this quite well when pulling with the garden tractors.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Mangos are a warm climate/ tropical type of tree. You would never see one here in the Snowy North. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

So the year is slowly coming to an end , I'm slowly getting caught up on a few things and I figured I'd get you guys caught up on our summer.
It hasn't been all good, again we lost another loved one in the family. One of my younger sisters passed away a few months ago after battling cancer for the last few years. As a result Granny and I are no longer empty nester's, we have now adopted my sisters 14 year old daughter Em, its a little bit scary as we only had boys but Granny now has the daughter she has always wanted. And she is a good kid, we have had a few disagreements (she's almost as bullheaded as her mom) but that’s just part of life and Em learning where her boundaries are. And I now have to be leery of every teenage boy in the county!

Em, Willow, Santa, and James

And we also gained a daughter in law Jeannie this summer as Marc has now gotten married. They decided the wedding should be here on the farm so we spent most of our summer painting all the out buildings, cleaning up, and making sure everything was up to Granny’s approval! And it was all worth it, we had great weather, we all had a great time, and even had a hayride after the wedding ceremony.

My Mom, Marc, and Dads Major

My Mom, myself, Uncle Kenny in the drivers seat, James, Marc, and Grandpa Walters major.

My Mom, Granny, Jeannie, Marc, myself, and my Stepfather Paul

Last edited by BearCreek Majors on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Sorry for your loss Pat but you've done the right thing by her :)
As a stepson you'll know that you know nothing about raising a stepdaughter :wink:
As long as you always have something rusty that needs scraping down then her young fella's shouldn't be too much of a problem, if you can hear the sound of rust scraping they can't be getting into too much mischief :shock:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Thanks for the comments Rick, I'll have to make sure I always keep a few projects on hand that need a lot of scraping!

Pat

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

:beer:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes