Ferguson FE 35 Injection pump problem

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
frode
True Blue

Ferguson FE 35 Injection pump problem

Post by frode »

Hi

Just picked up a Gold/Grey FE35 with the 23c diesel engine. Can not get diesel out of the injection pump. I have bleed it and it seems fine, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

I know its not blue, but it came with halftracks :)

--
Frode
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

super6954
True Blue

Re: Ferguson FE 35 Injection pump problem

Post by super6954 »

Hi Frode
If that pump is a rotary type I think there is something under the top cover where the control rods go in that can stick and give no fuel output, the part is on the stop linkage, I had it happen once on an MF 165 , or it could be the pump element or something else further inside . I think they can sometimes be hard to bleed as well.
My friend fixed mine and I'm not sure what he did but I know the pump was still on the tractor when he did it :) , Maybe Brian knows more about it :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Hi Robert,

Pump is rotary type, and I have checked the stop linkage. Everything is moving freely.

It must be something deeper.

I was hoping on Brian to chime in too ;)
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

frode wrote:Hi Robert,

Pump is rotary type, and I have checked the stop linkage. Everything is moving freely.

Hi
The part that sticks is in side the top cover, the linkage moves free from outside but nothing happens inside the pump I think the top has to come off to free it unless you have already tried this :) .
Regards Robert

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

super6954 wrote:
frode wrote:Hi Robert,

Hi
The part that sticks is in side the top cover, the linkage moves free from outside but nothing happens inside the pump I think the top has to come off to free it unless you have already tried this :) .
Regards Robert
That was what I meant to say... I have checked inside the top :) Everything looks good...
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Frode
I just Had a brain wave or fart :lol: or what ever you want to call it :) .
There was a guy in the June 2012 Tractor and Machinery Magazine from the U.K with problems on this style pump on a 154 leyland. there is a few pages about whats wrong and taking it apart to fix it. I wonder if you could find a copy of this and if it would help you :idea:. I know the pump is a special thing but it does't work now so as long as a guy was clean and care full while working on it you could not screw it up more really i'm thinking :| .
Regards Robert

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

super6954 wrote:Hi Frode
I just Had a brain wave or fart :lol: or what ever you want to call it :) .
There was a guy in the June 2012 Tractor and Machinery Magazine from the U.K with problems on this style pump on a 154 leyland. there is a few pages about whats wrong and taking it apart to fix it. I wonder if you could find a copy of this and if it would help you :idea:. I know the pump is a special thing but it does't work now so as long as a guy was clean and care full while working on it you could not screw it up more really i'm thinking :| .
Regards Robert
Thanks,

I'm thinking the same. Dont think you have to be a rocket scientist to work on this pump as long as youre carefull and keep it clean. I'll try to get hold of that magazine. Thanks!
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I had a problem with my Massy 30D Backhoe Loader a while ago. It would not bleed by pumping the feed pump by hand. There was some dirt in the fuel lift pump that held the valves open. I took it off and gave it a good cleaning and it bleed easily after that. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Dandy Dave wrote:I had a problem with my Massy 30D Backhoe Loader a while ago. It would not bleed by pumping the feed pump by hand. There was some dirt in the fuel lift pump that held the valves open. I took it off and gave it a good cleaning and it bleed easily after that. Dandy Dave!
I have no problem bleeding mine, Dave! But I cant get fuel out of the injection pump!!! :(

Cheers!
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Try Googleing:
Lucas CAV PDF Injection Pump Instruction Manual BlueMoment
Pavel

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Ok! I have diesel out of the injection pump.

I found a tip online where someone sugested blowing compressed air into one of the injector ports on the pump, and then turning the engine by the starter. Suprisingly this worked and it freed up the pumping plungers. So I'm one step nearer getting The Beast to run. The injection pump have been replaced by previous owner, trying to get it started ;) I have to check injection timing and the injectors them self.

Stuck plungers seems to be a common fault on the CAV DPA rotary pumps.
Pavel wrote:Try Googleing:
Lucas CAV PDF Injection Pump Instruction Manual BlueMoment
Pavel
Thanks!
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Frode,

When I was a young lad our family owned a FE35 with a 23c engine. I can tell you we only ran out of fuel once, it was such a mongrel to get started again my father never left to go into the padock without a full tank of diesel again. Probably the only reason we owned two tractors at the time was we needed the Fordson to tow the Fergy home when it refused to start.

Later when I was still young and foolish (only 16 years old) I made the fatal mistake of rebuilding the Fergy, new pistons etc. to get it running properly, only to find that my father had sold my Fordson while I was at school one day because "we didn't need it any more". That darn Fergy didn't stop any more :evil: Thirty years later I found my tractor again and there is no way anybody is going to sell it on me now.

Good luck with your Fergy, but don't sell the Fordson because you will need it to start the Fergy for sure one day :wink:

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

I have recently aquired a 3 cyl MF 35 and had the same problem, The fuel pumps are very similar.
I found this video very helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCPKq34zFw
Regards,
John

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

super6954 wrote:Hi Frode
There was a guy in the June 2012 Tractor and Machinery Magazine from the U.K with problems on this style pump on a 154 leyland. there is a few pages about whats wrong and taking it apart to fix it. I wonder if you could find a copy of this and if it would help you :idea:.

I have that magazine if you want the article scanned and emailed??
Just let me have an email address via PM if you are interested.

Regards

Steve
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

frode
True Blue

Re: Ferguson FE 35 Injection pump problem UPDATE

Post by frode »

Thanks for the kind offer, Steve!

I bought a seal kit from ebay and jumped right in. It was the pump plungers that were stuck. A little wd40 and elbow grease sorted it out. I got fuel out of the injectors but never got that engine to start.

I bought another one for about £100, a one-owner that had been sitting for ~30 years. I changed the old fuel and put a new fuel tap on it, and it started more or less right up :) I'm using the first one for spares, it was missing some parts allready and had been an expensive rebuild.

--
Frode
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR