Check out the Wiki

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Check out the Wiki

Post by Brian »

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tmac
True Blue

Re: Check out the Wiki

Post by Tmac »

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The design! I will see if I have a better picture. I have worked on car engines of the 1930's and these rings were similar to some of them. Not the normal Major ones.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Looks like a common 3 piece type oil ring.
If that is what you are talking about.
This type of oil ring has been used in American engines for about 60 or 70 years. Still are. It is rare to find the solid machined type.

1 separator, wrinkled metal
2 chrome plated steel rings

Brian wrote:The design! I will see if I have a better picture. I have worked on car engines of the 1930's and these rings were similar to some of them. Not the normal Major ones.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian.
Just been reading your wiki about Henrietta, and you say that she has never been apart before. In the old days (I'm wasn't around in the old days), did they use gasket cements on the gaskets. Your motor seems to have the remains of the modern day (loctite etc) gaskets goo's
Makes interesting reading. Look forward to the follow-up.
Kiwi Kev

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Check out the Wiki

Post by Oscar »

Oh my! You have definitely been busy! Personally I am impressed with the Wiki functionality. It dramatically decreases the time needed to publish content on the site and it allwos other people to contribute. Fantastic stuff.

Thanx for taking the time to do those articles, Brian. Great job.

Regards,
Oscar

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Kev,
I have had the manifold off a number of times as she could get an air leak. I could not get gaskets so had to use instant gasket. I meant that she had not been stripped down.

Tom,
I have seen a similar ring in American cars like the Buick and Studebaker when I was a boy but normally, Majors have a solid oil control ring rather than the rail/expander type. I have fitted Hepolite rings to cars of a similar design but just did not expect to find that style in Henrietta.
Brian