The 15,680 km Move!

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

The 15,680 km Move!

Post by Meanderer »

For the past couple of months I’ve put off, and put off, mentioning the BIG changes to happen in my life.
In a nutshell, my wife and I are moving to Canada to live! In actual fact she has already moved 3 weeks ago. She is Canadian (and Aussie Citizen) and became very homesick for her two sons and two grandkids.
She became quite stressed in the first half of this year because of some health issues. One of which was a scare that Cancer had returned to her leg where she had 2 muscles removed 8 years ago. (No Cancer this time). The 7 years of drought, diminishing commodity prices etc. etc., made visiting Canada more and more difficult. So we made the decision to sell up and move a few months ago. She told her lifelong Canadian friends and within a week she was offered a good full time job at a private girls school and board at a mutual friend’s place nearby.
She had just 10 weeks to prepare to go BUT in the meantime, one of her sons had a near fatal accident at work and the prognosis wasn’t good. So we got her to Toronto within 3 days where she stayed with him for 4 weeks until he was out of danger and on the road to recovery. She was home a month and had to fly out again. This time permanently. So until I can sell the farm and all the accumulated possessions, I can’t go anywhere. :cry:
I am really looking forward to it now that I think I’ve got my head around it. The Shark market is really down and I can’t afford to just sell for the sake of selling. It could take 12 months or more. Some properties around the district have been on the market for over 2 years, whilst a friend of my wife’s sold their “small” farm within days of listing it.
Tragically, I’m going to have to part with my 64 Super Major. That breaks my heart!!!! I can’t even bear the thought so I’m not going to elaborate on that point.
My other concern is acclimatising to the Canadian winters. I’ve only experienced a month of winter (Christmas and New Year period) in Toronto back in 1987. My other visits were in the summer.
Although I have driven through the town we intend to live in, I can’t remember it. However, with the way the internet is these days, I’ve studied everything about the place; know my way around it using Google Maps and Satellite; Youtube videos let me walk about the main street etc.
We speak on the phone every day for around an hour. VOIP phone service costs just 20cents/call un-timed. :D She is still an hour or so drive from her sons and grandkids, and a couple of hours from her mother :roll: and sisters, but she has friends nearby. The town is all new to her too but she is 100% confident that it is the place for us. So I have to trust her on that.
The place we are moving to is Meaford, Ontario, (On the shore of Georgian Bay).
http://tinyurl.com/6ft2km (shortcut to google map ref)
We have plenty of time to decide on whether to buy a house in the town or small acreage on the outskirts. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find a Super Dexta there ……

regards,
Rick
Last edited by Meanderer on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
'
Regards,
Rick

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Rick
Well said.
When you get to Canada, who knows, you might just get that Super Dexta you've wanted, but, "stay true to blue"
And also "stay true to true blue Aussie"
I've thought of you lately (since you told me of your move) of your big job ahead, but also of the fanastic adventure of moving to Canada. Onwards and upwards.
Good Luck with the farm.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Rick,
Its a big decision and quite stressful as by now you understand, especially if you have to leave behind your Super.

Ann and I wish you the best for you and your family. Don't forget that as soon as you get your computor working you are amongst friends where ever you are in the world.

Remember a Super Major would be good and so would a Super Dexta but a Petrol Dexta......... now that is pure heaven! :clap:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Brian wrote:Don't forget that as soon as you get your computor working you are amongst friends where ever you are in the world
:yeah:

All the best for you and your loved ones, Rick. Not the easiest of times. I think you'll find it easy to adapt to Canadian culture, but yeah, those winters are something. I know someone in Winnipeg who frequently has temperatures of -45 degrees Celsius during winter.

Hang in there!!

PS: coincidentally, I'll be in Toronto next week. Just work, all work, except for one day where I'll hop over to see Niagara Falls before I head for the airport again.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Rick,
I know this will be a culture shock for you, especially the winters "buurrrrr." It's cold enough down here in Dec, Jan, Feb and I'm way way south of you my many miles. But your and Aussie, and man I hear that they are as tough as nails. You will be the Crocodile Dundee of Ontario, (without the knife) and just like Brian said, as soon as you get your computer booted up and running, you will be back among friends.
Here's wishing you well my friend, our prayers are with the both of you. Keep us posted of your progress.
BarryT might get Brian and Rover to fetch your blue darling back to it's home in England. Now that would be a ferry ride!!!!!! Just kidding around a bit, I'm sure you will find her a good home.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Dom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dom »

Wow Rick as far as sea changes go this is a biggy.

When you told me a couple of weeks ago that you had some big news to tell I had an inkling you might have sold the place ("drought, diminishing commodity prices etc. etc"-it’s tough on the land for heaps of farmers) and were moving back to the big smoke or something, but I never would have guessed mate. I know you would be champing at the bit to go now that you have decided so I hope the market picks up soon to make your move as fast and easy as possible.

As you know I definitely have room in the big green shed for the Super and it wouldn't be too far a move for the old girl but I'd have to move to Canada if I spent more money on tractors. I'm sure you will find an owner who will appreciate it as much as we do when the time comes.

Well I don't know what to say, it's both a sad time and an exiting new adventure for you and I can only I wish you all the luck in the world. Hope we can catch up before you leave.

Kindest regards...............Dom

henk

Post by henk »

Impressive news Nick,

Hope you can sell out quickly and join your wife. Wish you all the luck with your plans, and your family.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I