Pats latest problem

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Pats latest problem

Post by BearCreek Majors »

So it’s probably no big surprise that I have been building a Doe in the back of my head for several years now.
I few weeks ago we picked up a New Holland 545D 4X4 with a loader for my uncle Kenny as he wanted to upgrade from his Super Major with a loader, and he has now decided to donate his Super to the Doe project! And actually no big surprise here ether as we have been talking about it for a while now and I have been on the lookout for a matching Super. So yesterday we went for a drive to track down a lead I had on one, Jackpot!
It’s an early Super as is Uncles with the Vacuum governor, and the serial # is only 6 months apart.
The owner tells me its been sitting for nearly twenty years and doubts that it will start, we checked oil and a few things, threw a battery in it and got it to spin over with lots of white smoke while the valves were released. We then closed the valves and tried to start it, lots of smoke and a little of an effort but with that old fuel it just didn’t want to go. Out came the can of starter fluid, a little whiff and she came to life, and ran, and after a few minutes she ran quite well, hitting on all four real solid and having a good bark to it when I hit the throttle. OK so a purchase is in the future and a Doe is starting to transform.
But here is my dilemma, this guy has five Majors that he wants to sell me! Two complete tractors and three parts tractors, and even the scrap ones have a goodie or two on them that I could use, power steering, DAR valves, raised PTO, etc. I have some serious thinking to do, can I afford all this stuff, do I need it, how am I going to get it home, it’s a 6 hr round trip. And most importantly, how am I going to be able to hide all this stuff from the wife!

Pat

The Super

A 53ish, wide belt, straight vertical pump, hand crank, but the block has the serial # behind the pump.

Super Major

Super Major

Power Major

frode
True Blue

Re: Pats latest problem

Post by frode »

I'll help you with the finance by buying the raised pto, pat :-)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

BearCreek Majors wrote: But here is my dilemma, this guy has five Majors that he wants to sell me! Two complete tractors and three parts tractors, and even the scrap ones have a goodie or two on them that I could use, power steering, DAR valves, raised PTO, etc. I have some serious thinking to do, can I afford all this stuff, do I need it, how am I going to get it home, it’s a 6 hr round trip. And most importantly, how am I going to be able to hide all this stuff from the wife!
Pat
It all depends on how much HE wants for it all, and how much YOU want to pay for it all.
I hope you settled on a price for the Super before you started it :scratchhead:
The dream is building the Doe, not the bringing home of the 5 Majors.
You the man for the job. :mrgreen:
You keep the Super that now goes, You get going and sell the other complete tractor to cover costs, and the spare parts tractors will all go back into your stores dept, to make up for the parts you used on your Dads Major rebuild recently.
Kiwi Kev

ps If you can't hide 5 majors in that big shed of yours, how are you going to hide a Doe :scratchhead:
Granny will be fine. Just tell her the Doe will be another tractor to add to the life insurance policy :clap: and that your building the Doe for her grandkids.
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Buy them all. You never know what parts you might need.
A few years ago i build a 21st century doe out of 2 new performance dextas. Turned out well so there is no reason why this project shouldnt work for you.

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

This kind of problems I would also like to have :D 8)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

If they were in my neighborhood and scrap price they would be in my yard right now. No wife to tell me no. Maybe that's why I divorced one who thought she could change me years ago. She thought she would get me a job at Wall Mart. LOL... :lol: Every girl I ever had, I layed on the line for them right away. I buy Stuff, I drag it home. Sometimes it sits for years, but I have made money with 90 percent of it in one way or another. If you do not like the way I make my living then move on while you can. The gal I have been with for a long time now knows it is just a common thing around here and that I'm not going to take any crap about it. Don't like it, there's the door.

I could use a ball joint cover or two off of a Power steering unit if there is a spare or two in that pile. Thanks, Dandy Dave!
Last edited by Dandy Dave on Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Tell the wife Pat exactly what you are going to do, or there could be consequences or repercusions, involve the grandkids, say they want a Doe too, how can she argue with the grandkids??? :clap: All you need now is another shed for all the majors... :run:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Dandy Dave wrote:
I could use a ball joint cover or two off of a Power steering unit if there is a spare or two in that pile. Thanks, Dandy Dave!
Forgot about them! Will look tomorrow ;-)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Still haven’t decided what to do, maybe get the Super and one or two of the parts tractors. I can borrow a flatbed to hook to the back of our semi tractor but I don’t think I can get all five of them in one load.
Regardless I need to find some money before I can do anything. I dug the Harley out of the barn yesterday and its going up for sale.
And Granny’s suggestion probably made the most sense, sell the bike, buy the super and one parts tractor and the money left over can be spent on the Doe.

Jim, we need to see some pictures of your Dexta Doe!

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yup, I rather drive a Fordson than ride a Harley any day . :D The PS covers are sheet metal. I can take a photo if you need it. Thanks. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

here you go then

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Pat
if you get the Doe built you could make some money selling me a set of plans :wink:.
My buddy up the road has been on about doing one for a couple of years :lol: . last time He talked about it I told him I would donate the 2 complete majors from my junk pile and help him do it , if he got all the steel and machining of parts sorted :idea: . when he left here that night he was pondering selling his full restored E27N P6. I haven't spoken to him since. But another one might be in the making in the next few years if he comes through with the money :!: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

scoobyjim wrote:here you go then
Quite a project! :clap:
Have you still got it?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

henk

Post by henk »

very nice
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

yes i still have it, doesnt do much these days though, dont seem to get time. :?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Very impressive Jim, it looks like a hell of a fun toy! How long did it take to build from start to finish?

Pat

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

A few years on and off because i got that fed up at times with ideas not going to plan so i kept leaving it to do other things. It works through electro hydraulics so wasnt a case of just copying a major doe. It was all different to everything else and all from my head.
It pulls extremely well with both driving but not so good with just the back one as most of the weight is on the front tractor.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Fun sorting all this stuff from your head. Can drive a man battey, but the end result is well worth the effort. Nice job. 8) Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

scoobyjim wrote:A few years on and off because i got that fed up at times with ideas not going to plan so i kept leaving it to do other things. It works through electro hydraulics so wasnt a case of just copying a major doe. It was all different to everything else and all from my head.
It pulls extremely well with both driving but not so good with just the back one as most of the weight is on the front tractor.
How do you operate the gears and clutch on the front tractor? Electro-hydraulic?

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Clutch works off back pedal through master/slave cylinder
tractor hydraulics work the cylinders to change gear

Turn table

Solenoid valves for gear change

Cylinders to move the selectors with micro switches to identify the selected gear

And the joystock to operate the solenoids. forward 1st, back 2nd, left 3rd right reverse. small switch hi low. digital readout on right that tells me which gear is selected

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

ScoobyJim
So, on the rear tractor, you change gears using the gear levers, and on the front unit the gears are selected by the joystick that is mounted on the rear tractor? correct!
Certinainly a mind bender working all that out.
Fantastic job.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Exactly right. takes a bit of getting used too :lol:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

:clap: :beer: Dazzeling the crowd with Brilliance you are Matey. 8) Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jim, How do the throttles work? There's no hand throttle visible on the rear tractor.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Using the existing throttle lever on the right they are linked with cables.

Glad everyone likes it. Had mixed reviews. Some people saying it spoils two dextas but i dont care. I wanted to see if it was possible and it was.