Pats latest problem

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Pats latest problem

Post by Bensdexta »

scoobyjim wrote:Clutch works off back pedal through master/slave cylinder.
Tractor hydraulics work the cylinders to change gear
Does tractor hydraulics also power the clutch and the steering?

How did Doe do it all back in the last century, with no electro-hydraulics? A lot of rods, presumeably? :scratchhead:

Have you a photo of the rear of the front tractor - I guess there's a hefty longitudinal pivot in there to allow relative 'roll' between the two tractors?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

tractor hydraulics power the steering but the clutch is just like your car with a master cylinder and slave cylinder.

Doe did the whole lolt with master and slave cylinders, very simple when you see one in the flesh.

to get the longitudinal pivit there is a tube inside a tube running front to back.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

That's something for sure. You are a well oiled human thinking machine Scooby! I've never seen a home made job before, it looks great. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Thanks i appreciate it.

Does anyone have any origonal examples anywhere in the world or are they all in uk

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

There were only four Doe’s shipped over here to the US, from what I understand one was destroyed in a fire and one was dismantled and sold off as two tractors. I was also told that one unit originally shipped to Canada now resides in the US as well, needless to say I have never got to see one in flesh and blood.

Pat

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Pat
I was told there was one near us in Manitoba Canada when I brought my County. The guy in the dealership up the road had seen it, and described it to be a Doe, unless it was a home brew package :| , I know a guy that lives in the town where it was supposed to be he moved from our town to their. I haven't talked to him for ages.
He visits coffee shops so might be able to find out about it :idea: . I wonder if this is the one you talk about or if there was more than one :| .
Just as a side note I see George Pryor the Essex farmer that invented the Doe has recently Died aged 92 :( RIP George your huge legacy lives on and fascinates many big kids :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

could you not do away with the joy stick by using micro switches round the gear lever of the rear tractor? would be really easy to drive then. but I guess you would want a way of disengaging if you only started one up. I like the digital read out. great idea.
Regards,
John

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

hi yes it is very possible and would mean that you would have only the one stick making it very easy to drive. Maybe when i have nothing to do on a rainy day, i may have a play :lol:

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Broadspeed wrote:This kind of problems I would also like to have :D 8)
I have just seen this post and I feel the same thing, that is, if the tractors would fit my father's budget :eyes: :lol: .

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I FINALLY Sold the Harley a few weeks ago, and yesterday we barrowed a nice drop deck trailer to put behind our semi tractor, so tomorrow morning at 7am we are leaving to pick up some tractors. The owner was nice enough to hold them for me all summer but we are only bringing home 4 of them, the running Super that I need, and the three parts ones, the early one with the pie weights is to be sold to someone else.

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

What rims do they have? 38 rims? Because it seems to me that 38 rims were fitted on most doe tractors...

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

So we got the tractors home with no problems, other than it took 4 hours to get them loaded and tied down. The one that looks like a pile of parts wouldn’t move, the brakes were locked up tight and after a lots of swearing and sweating we decided as the front ax was only attached by the power steering cylinder, we took it and the rear wheels off and pick it up with the skid steer and load it on the trailer. When we got to the power major we found one rear tire was split open and the front axel was only on by one pin, apart it came and was picked up and loaded on as well.
Three hours there, four hours to load, and three ours back, got everything unloaded, got the trailer back, and it was time for bed. It was a long day but a good one.
I’ve been working on the Super that runs, we drove it on the trailer, but it does have some issues. No hyd pressure at all and the screen is clean, maybe a bad pump, sheared key, broken line??? I drained all the old fuel out, cleaned the fuel pump and put in a new fuel filter and it runs reasonably well but misses and smokes some, and hard to start. If the three point worked I’d put a plow on it and work it for a while to see if that would help. It has 20 psi oil pressure when warm, nothing to bitch about.
Now that I have them home I have started to look things over and check the serial numbers on all of them and found that the Super with the loader and the “pile o parts” Super are only 10 digits apart, probably made on the same day and probably sold at the same dealership over by Eau Claire where I picked them up.
And I know what you’re thinking….is Pat going to take one running tractor and a good running free one from his uncle to make a Doe, or is he so anal that he is going to take one that may be good or may be bad, and another one that is obviously a pile of scrap to make a Doe only because the tractors were made the same day……..Yes Pat is that anal!
It looks like I have some work to do, and Granny is pissed already.
When I pulled in the yard and got out of the semi, I walked over to her, pointed to the lovely load on the trailer and exclaimed, Happy Anniversary Honey”…..she didn’t think that was very funny.

These tractors all have 30" rears and I will use them on the Doe, I belive the four Doe's that were sold in the US all had 30" as well.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice load of goodies. :clap: Tell granny she can have the first ride, (Right after you. :wink: ) when the Doe is built. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Pat
Nice load you got there, 10 tractors apart the closest I've ever got is 200 . My super and my friends are that difference both sold in Canada.
our Belarus 5270 and a shop customers are 200 apart. one was our tractor from England we brought over, and his was sold here in Canada :o . There is a fair chance they came out the factory the same day. exactly the same odd ball thing happened to a hyd cylinder, that was probably fitted to both that day.
who ever built the cylinder forgot to lock the nut on the end of the rod these are the only 2 i know it's happened with that I service :!:
The super having no pressure could be a stuck valve under the top cover , or in the diverter valve on the top cover down under the front of the seat, depending what it has fitted, or even a combination of the 2. My last super had both valves playing up :cry:
Guys have a few posts here about that performance :wink: .
Regards Robert

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:So we got the tractors home with no problems, other than it took 4 hours to get them loaded and tied down. The one that looks like a pile of parts wouldn’t move, the brakes were locked up tight and after a lots of swearing and sweating we decided as the front ax was only attached by the power steering cylinder, we took it and the rear wheels off and pick it up with the skid steer and load it on the trailer. When we got to the power major we found one rear tire was split open and the front axel was only on by one pin, apart it came and was picked up and loaded on as well.
Three hours there, four hours to load, and three ours back, got everything unloaded, got the trailer back, and it was time for bed. It was a long day but a good one.
I’ve been working on the Super that runs, we drove it on the trailer, but it does have some issues. No hyd pressure at all and the screen is clean, maybe a bad pump, sheared key, broken line??? I drained all the old fuel out, cleaned the fuel pump and put in a new fuel filter and it runs reasonably well but misses and smokes some, and hard to start. If the three point worked I’d put a plow on it and work it for a while to see if that would help. It has 20 psi oil pressure when warm, nothing to bitch about.
Now that I have them home I have started to look things over and check the serial numbers on all of them and found that the Super with the loader and the “pile o parts” Super are only 10 digits apart, probably made on the same day and probably sold at the same dealership over by Eau Claire where I picked them up.
And I know what you’re thinking….is Pat going to take one running tractor and a good running free one from his uncle to make a Doe, or is he so anal that he is going to take one that may be good or may be bad, and another one that is obviously a pile of scrap to make a Doe only because the tractors were made the same day……..Yes Pat is that anal!
It looks like I have some work to do, and Granny is pissed already.
When I pulled in the yard and got out of the semi, I walked over to her, pointed to the lovely load on the trailer and exclaimed, Happy Anniversary Honey”…..she didn’t think that was very funny.

These tractors all have 30" rears and I will use them on the Doe, I belive the four Doe's that were sold in the US all had 30" as well.

Pat
That is a great big package :D 8) :mrgreen: :clap: , I would not be surprised if I'll be dreaming about bringing home lots of fordsons tonight! :mrgreen: Well if I did, I would wish that dream would come true "in the smallest time possible" :mrgreen:

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote: Now that I have them home I have started to look things over and check the serial numbers on all of them and found that the Super with the loader and the “pile o parts” Super are only 10 digits apart, probably made on the same day and probably sold at the same dealership over by Eau Claire where I picked them up.
And I know what you’re thinking….is Pat going to take one running tractor and a good running free one from his uncle to make a Doe, or is he so anal that he is going to take one that may be good or may be bad, and another one that is obviously a pile of scrap to make a Doe only because the tractors were made the same day……..
How about.... making TWO DOES :D :mrgreen: !!!! the "one running tractor" and "the good running free one" would be the Doe #1, while the "one that may be good or may be bad" and the "obviously a pile of scrap" tractor would be the Doe #2 ! :mrgreen: What do you think??? :roll:

(Tip: if you would follow my advice, probably it would be better that the super with the loader should be in front with the loader attached to it, that would be a nice "extremely heavy duty fordson super major front loader ":mrgreen: )

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Been busy but found some time to play with the new tractors. The unit with the loader seems to be the better tractor of all of them, I stuck an injector pump on it, cleaned most of the crud out of the fuel system (it had no fuel filter in the canister), and eventually got it started. It was dead on two cylinders so we quick fixed up two used injectors, stuck them in and it now runs quite well. The three point went up but stayed there, we popped the lid off and found the main spool stuck, after a few light taps it loosened up quite well. We set the lid back on, the three point went down….and stayed there, popped it back off and taped the other spool out, replaced the Oring, replaced the lid and everything works now. Once in a while the three point arms will jump up/down a few feet after barely moving the leaver, but the more I use it the better it gets. I put it to work on the mower Saturday and cut an acre or two of grass.
The loader that was on it is a Ford quick disconnect type probably for a Red Belly, I’m thinking someone looking for an original ford loader will be much more interested in it than I am.
One of my biggest problems now is not having enough injection pumps, I had to steal the one off of the 54 to get this last Super to go. Yesterday it was raining so i got started with a "do it yourself injection pump stand"

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

That's one way to put a shop lathe to work. :clap: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Just a few pic’s of stuff.
I stopped at the scrap yard the other day and this followed me home.

This unit has been around the area for a few years now, it is used to groom the snowmobile trails.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Just a few pic’s of stuff.
I stopped at the scrap yard the other day and this followed me home.
Pat
What model is it.
How about some close up photos of the turbo?
Were there any change to the timing on the turbo motors?
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The turbo is the first thing I spotted also. Hopefully the 6 cylinder engine is not beyond a rebuild, or at least has some good parts. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi guys
That motor looks like the 2 I got here unless it's a 380 newer series turbo. It looks like its a 2704 et 363 Cubes.
About 150hp from a New holland TR70 combine :wink: .
Loads of things are different in spec on the internals , so my manual said :!: you can't use the crank in a non turbo application so be careful if using parts in other motors.
I hope it was cheap and runs well they are expensive to re build :!: :run: .
My first one cost $2000 complete with working combine, I kept loads of parts like wheels /wide tires, and ended up with scrap on the rest basically it was then free for pulling it apart :clap: . the next one was 600 plus the rest of the unfinished 6cyl tractor conversion, When Canadian immigration threw my buddy out :cry:
Regards Robert

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Nice find! I have a 2704ET from a Ford Cargo truck, the intake-manifold is different on mine. I could need the oilpan of yours, Pat :D
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

frode wrote:Nice find! I have a 2704ET from a Ford Cargo truck, the intake-manifold is different on mine. I could need the oilpan of yours, Pat :D
Hi frode
I guess your motor being from a Cargo,it has the sloping sump and you need the Upright like ours :?: . you can probably find one nearer than pats :wink: . The 2700 series 6cyl ford Industrial is fitted to a lot of New Holland combines. I think the European 1500 series was one of them . All you have to do is find one with a blown motor, in a wrecking yard and buy that oil pan :idea: .
I guess your intake is different because ford liked to do this stuff if they could :lol: , and being from a truck the air cleaner would be in a different location to what it is on a combine . I seem to remember the truck one being behind the cab :scratchhead: .
The other thing that makes them different can be if it is actually a 380 . The intake ports on the head are bigger. This then means the ports on the intake manifold need to be bigger for more air flow to match the head.
what numbers does yours have stamped under the head, on the blocks rear right side Identification pad ( right rear back on fuel pump side), it should be 3 numbers like 365, 363, or 380 or something close. The pad is about 25 mm long and 13 mm wide from my memory.
Regards Robert

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hi guys, you guessed it correctly, it’s a 2704ET (363CID). The engine in my Super Six is a 2715E (380CID).
A friend told me of this one sitting in the scrap yard, the story goes that the Amish had been running a sawmill with it and brought it in as a core for apparently a similar unit out of a combine. I have the engine kit on order for the 590E that belongs in the super six and I was hoping that this rocker shaft assembly will work on it, and the 2715E was slated to go in a major so I figured I could use this oil pan as well as a few other parts, and still have spare parts for it. With this in mind I tried desperately to purchase it for a few hundred dollars, noting that “if the Amish junked it, it must really be junk!”, but the scrap yard gets $500 for rebuldable cores. So after a few weeks of fidgeting over it I finally sucked it up and spent the $500.
So this afternoon the youngest boy and I put the flywheel back on it, cobbled on a starter, stuck the fuel line in a fuel can and attempted to start it. After pumping a few gallons of motor oil all over the floor and plugging three open ports we got it started……and it’s not a core engine. 50psi of oil pressure, hits on all six cylinders, and the turbo sounds great. WOT and it doesn’t miss a beat, but it does gallop at low rpm’s, maybe this is why it was removed from the saw mill?
So now it looks like this engine will make my two wheel drive Super Six and the 2715E is going to be missing a few parts for now. 120 hp is nice but 150 hp is nicer!

In the specs they have an intercooled unit rated at 180hp and the Turbo Plus rated at 250hp, and this has really got me wondering what I need to do to get another 100 hp out of this engine. I’m assuming the Turbo Plus is also intercooled and probably has the boost pressure cranked up with a bigger turbo. In the specs the compression ratio is dropped a little more on each engine as the hp increases, and the Plus has a separate oil pump/cooler system that is plumbed to squirters for the bottom of the pistons.

Kev, I'll try to get some better pics posted this week and a coppy of some of the specs.

We've been a little bussy as the pumpkin Chucking season has started!

Pat