Pats latest problem

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Pats latest problem

Post by Kiwi Kev »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Hi guys, you guessed it correctly, it’s a 2704ET (363CID). The engine in my Super Six is a 2715E (380CID).
A friend told me of this one sitting in the scrap yard, the story goes that the Amish had been running a sawmill with it and brought it in as a core for apparently a similar unit

With this in mind I tried desperately to purchase it for a few hundred dollars, noting that “if the Amish junked it, it must really be junk!”, but the scrap yard gets $500 for rebuldable cores. So after a few weeks of fidgeting over it I finally sucked it up and spent the $500.
So this afternoon the youngest boy and I put the flywheel back on it, cobbled on a starter, stuck the fuel line in a fuel can and attempted to start it. After pumping a few gallons of motor oil all over the floor and plugging three open ports we got it started……and it’s not a core engine. 50psi of oil pressure, hits on all six cylinders, and the turbo sounds great. WOT and it doesn’t miss a beat, but it does gallop at low rpm’s, maybe this is why it was removed from the saw mill?
So now it looks like this engine will make my two wheel drive Super Six and the 2715E is going to be missing a few parts for now.

120 hp is nice but 150 hp is nicer! :clap: :clap:

Pat
So, $500 bucks was a great deal eh
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

When we picked up these four Majors the old guy that owned them was there and was quite happy to tell us many stories about the good old days. And one about the time he came home and his house was burned down! Seems there was a power pole out by the tractors that was supplying power to the yard light, his fuel pump, and his well. Apparently it was struck by lightning, started the grass/brush on fire and eventually made its way over to the house.
As I was getting tires on the Power major to move it around I discovered it had gotten the shock of its life as well, ether it got struck by the lightning or the power lines fell on it as the tires all have electrical burns on them.

Pat

This one still holds air!

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Kev, I'm not sure if it was a "great deal" but it got a lot better when we heard it run for the first time! I stumbled upon an auction here in Wisconsin that sold one for I believe $280, but for all I know it could have been in need of repair as well, and if it was on the other side of the state I could have easily burnt up a $100 in fuel to go get it.

Pat

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Kev, I'm not sure if it was a "great deal" but it got a lot better when we heard it run for the first time! I stumbled upon an auction here in Wisconsin that sold one for I believe $280, but for all I know it could have been in need of repair as well, and if it was on the other side of the state I could have easily burnt up a $100 in fuel to go get it.

Pat
Hi Pat
you got a good deal stop worrying about it :lol: . Go price one from a combine wreckers not the scrap yard like yours came from I would be surprised if it was less than a $1000 :!: . when I got my first one the local guys wanted $3500 for the motor only. I got that whole combine private for $2000 :wink: .
The second one at $600 was what my buddy paid private for the motor, Basically I got given the tractor it was being put in :lol: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Is the power major still running, or was already "decommissioned" because of those burns?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I think the Power Major was already an organ donor by that time.

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:I think the Power Major was already an organ donor by that time.

Pat
That reminds me the story my father had told me...

It is because, not so many years ago, they owned a fordson. It's a major, according to him. The tractor runs during that time, so they managed to give it some work to do. A large 8ft. disc harrow came with it, so they put both the tractor and the disc to work in the fields for some time, according to him. He was impressed by the fact that the fordson pulled the disc harrow easily, but he was much more impressed by the fact that the fordson could lift the whole disc harrow with ease(according to him, the fordson was the only tractor he knew that could lift that disc harrow that easily). But, at some point later, the tractor broke down. They initially wanted to repair the fordson and keep it as another workhorse, but due to financial problems, those plans were never carried on. It was also due to financial problems that they decided to break the tractor down and sell it as an organ donor. I don't know if it was sold as a whole pile 'o parts tractor or was sold bit by bit. So, today the only thing that remind me that we once owned the tractor of my dreams, was, the disc harrow which still survives. :cry:

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

The kids posted this today, I had forgot he set his phone out when we started it.

Pat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vql0Z-iqfrA

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice! :D It really Sounds good for a scrapyard engine. Pat, you is one lucky dawg. :clap: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Sounds geat! Makes me wonder how fast the whole sawmill operates with that engine in it.

Well, sorry for not being "noisy" lately, it is because the ford 5000 broke down lately...

The hydraulic pump gasket burst while the tractor is discing in one (and only one) of our "faraway field" (good thing though, is that I am not the operator during that time because the field is dotted with mangoes and reversing a trailed disc harrow several times was a torture for me). my uncle, who is the operator at that time, decided to bring the tractor home so that the proper tools needed would be easy to reach. So, as the tractor makes its way home, it left a trail of its "back end blood" along the way, which means,we have to fill the back end with some oil, again. :cry:

Also every farmer in our area is preparing their fields, because, it is the onion planting season in our area! That means, one could see lots of tractors at work :D , and lots of tractors breaking down :( . In fact this week I have seen twice one of the fordson on the road and I have seen both of the two ford 7000s at work (both 7000s were owned by a single farmer)

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

BearCreek Majors wrote:The kids posted this today, I had forgot he set his phone out when we started it.

Pat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vql0Z-iqfrA
Hi Pat
she runs good for $500 :) I kinda miss the sound of mine running now :( , I am thinking of trying to fire my second one after listening to yours. I've never heard that one running :!: .

When you get it in the tractor, if you find you not got enough smoke play with that little box on top of the pump :wink: . I took that off my first one. It will now fill the shop with smoke so ya can't see the lights on in about 2 mins at high revs :eyes: :run: . I think I'm gonna have to put it back on and set it half way. It will flood the motor out, with excess fuel I'm thinking.
There comes a point in pulling where to much fuels worse than not enough :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Hi Pat,

I ploughed with a Doe Triple D, on the night shift, in 1962 and 1963.
Warm autumn nights, 4am, Fritzmier cab, windscreen open, both engines full throttle - I can hear it now.

There is a book "The Doe Tractor Story" by Stuart Gibbard available from Amazon for about 30 dollars. Gives history and some line drawings of detailed construction.

Book states that one Triple D was exported to USA in 1961, followed by three more in February1962.
Tractors were sent to Hugh Tandem Tractors Inc. PO Box 413, Selby South Dakota and were known as "Double T".
No 216 was used by farmer Walter Bones with an Oliver plough.

Wishing you well with the project.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Thanks Fenhayman, of all the memory’s to have that one has got to be pretty dam good one!
And thanks for the tip on the book I have seen several videos and books on the subject but was not sure where to start, if this one has drawings in it I’m thinking that’s where I’m gona start.
The US version of the Doe story is usually slightly different but yet the basics remain the same, four units were shipped over, one destroyed in a fire, one dismantled and sold off as two separate tractors, and one more used unit brought down from Canada. I have exchanged e-mails with one of the original owners that still has a Doe and he has graciously given me permission to look this unit over to get any measurements and info I can. Unfortunately he is quite a distance away but I will most likely get over there to see it some day.

Pat

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

scoobyjim wrote:here you go then

Can´t see pics any more :?: :(
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

I closed my photobucket account. Forgot about pics on here. Which pixs are you after

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

All pics of Dexta Doe :)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64