Henry Fords first tractor.....

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Dandy Dave
True Blue

Henry Fords first tractor.....

Post by Dandy Dave »

I was on the road for around three weeks and drove across the U.S.A. to pick up a vintage Buick. New York to California on Interstate 80 most of the way. On my Journey I was in the Detroit, and Flint areas of Michagan and had a chance to visit The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. Henry Fords first tractor still exsists and also Fordson #1. Also there are examples of the first tractors with the 3 point hitch that Harry Ferguson expermented with. A dazzeling place indeed. I highly recommend this as a place to see if any of you are ever in that area. Dandy Dave!

Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

chriss
True Blue

Re: Henry Fords first tractor.....

Post by chriss »

are you allowed to say ferguson on here?

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

chriss wrote:are you allowed to say ferguson on here?
only when you are talking about the history of tractors and farming.
Not when you say 'I own a fe******son" :clap:
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

If it was not for old Harry Ferguson our Majors may not have had a three point hitch. Where would we be today??? Oh yes, and that is Fordson #1 in the back ground of the top photo. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Here is another photo of the engine. I believe this tractor was build with a Model K Ford car motor parts and radiator. It was very cool to be so upclose to it. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Fordson serial Number 1...

1960 Fordson Power Major

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

Imagelatest addition with grandson leo just to show i'm not biast

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Yes a must see! Ford fan or not this place is one of the great displays of the US history and the industrial revolution.
The wife and I went several years ago and we were simply awestruck. Shortly after we started in the museum I walked by that Fordson and continued on looking over Henrys hand built machine and the other items in the agricultural display, after a little while something in the back of my head told me that unrestored Fordson with a patch on the side of the block just had to have a story behind it, so I walked back to read the plaque and was amazed to see that it was #1. This and may other items there would be the centerpiece in most any other museum.
The one thing that amazed me the most is a chair. Hennery was a great admirer of Thomas Edison and in the village he had constructed several of Edison’s old labs, by means of old photos and eye witness accounts these labs were almost exact replicas of the originals rite down to the equipment and supplies on the benches. I believe shortly after the village was opened to the public Hennery invited Edison to tour the grounds, when they got to the particular lab that the light bulb was built, Edison was amazed at how well it had been duplicated and commented that everything needed to make a light bulb was at hand…….So Hennery asked him to make one. Edison pulled up a chair and did so. After they left the lab and continued on the tour Hennery sent word to the maintenance people that the chair Edison had used was to be nailed down to the floor exactly where Edison had left it and it was never to be moved again. To this day that chair is still in that same spot nailed to the same boards. You can plainly see where the floorboards have been changed in the entire lab but for a five foot area around that chair.
The morning Mary and I showed up at the gates to get our tickets and begin the tour we asked the ticket girl how long it would take to see everything, the girl told us it would probably take an hour or two in the museum and another hour or two in the village. It took us two days.

Dave we need to see some pics of the Buick! Just a guess but I’m thinking circa 1920’s?

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yup. Saw the chair and got the Edison story. The Buick is a 1915 C-37 touring chassies. The rear of the body was removed years ago and an old Horse Drawn Wagon body was put in its place to make a pick up out of it. I have a 1915 C-36 Roadster that I have a lot of fun with. See the Charteruse Lady Here....

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/tribute-cha ... 09924.html

Parts car photos look here...

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/sale-1915-b ... 48978.html

1960 Fordson Power Major