Seddon Earthquake 6.5

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Seddon Earthquake 6.5

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

With the earthquake 30km east of Seddon, New Zealand, in the Cook Straight, at 6.5 yesterday, has it effected any of our forum members at the top of the South Island? :eyes: :yeah:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Seddon Earthquake 6.5

Post by Dandy Dave »

Not sure. Same back from the Buick National in South Bend Indiana. USA, And met one of our NZ pals, and Austrailian pals.. Not sure if he or his family was affected. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

We live just West of Seddon, there were a few lighter quakes the days before the 6.5 but we felt little of them, the geology is very complex with multiple faults in the region so it's a 'when' rather than 'if' around here, like much of the country.
When the 6.5 struck we were holidaying beside Lake Taupo in the central North Island and felt about 30 seconds of gentle rolling motion, nothing sharp. The retail business I work in had some ceiling tiles fall and some stock fall off shelves, at home not a thing was affected. This time...
I must add, took the Dexta out for a drive yesterday and it was not in the least spooked.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

A bigger shake today, 6.6. We had kids at a riding lesson at an indoor arena, whole place shook vigorously, ponies panicked, kids jumped off, one kid (not ours) was thrown against a wall and was bruised a bit. A couple of bridges on the main road South to Christchurch were damaged and there were rockfalls and slips too. We drove home a bit apprehensive but our house was fine, as was the large shed where the Dexta lives. Now we have frequent aftershocks like a huge gust of wind hitting every 1/4 hour or so. My 9 year old son said it was AWEsome!
Derek.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Sounds like it can be a lot like our California. Glad to hear that you folks are safe and have no dammage. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Well yesterday they had some more earthquakes... largest at 6.6, so how did the guys from down south cope with that? :eyes:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

End result was Seddon took a pasting - evry home there sustained some damage, some were totalled. A few cracks in buildings in Blenheim, no damage at our place, a little West of Blenheim.

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Dandy Dave wrote:Sounds like it can be a lot like our California. Glad to hear that you folks are safe and have no dammage. Dandy Dave!
Dave,
It seems to me that it's not just California, but Oregon and Washington as well. I have read on the internet about the cascadia subduction zone and the cascade volcanoes. Reading them frightens me a bit.