4D Engine identification

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

4D Engine identification

Post by edhopwood »

Hello there, For some time I've been trying to find out the year and model of my boat engine without success.
I've been told that its a Ford 4D as used in the Fordson Major range of tractors. A diesel mechanic reckons it's a 590.
The numbers stamped on don't seem to coincide with the info I have about these engines though so I'm struggling to identify.
The numbers on the block are S108487E

would be very grateful if anyone could help me on my detective mission?
Incidentally the engine hadn't been started for 10 years, we fired it up and seems to be running very well but if anyone has any service and maintenance tips for an engine this age, I'd also be very grateful.

heres a link to some photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94721980@N ... 180817849/

many thanks Ed

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: 4D Engine identification

Post by JC »

Hi Ed
Welcome to Fordson Tractor Pages.
It looks like you have a marinised version of a Mark 1 Fordson Major engine. If you look on the left side of the block, about 3 inches below the front exhaust port, you will find a casting code. If you post that, we can tell you when your engine was made.
The S number that you found means that its an industrial engine and there are no known records of those numbers.

edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edhopwood »

Thanks very much! I'll take a look tomorrow, that's progress at least...

edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edhopwood »

Hello there, it's only been a year or two but I'm back working on my engine.
I found some more letters stamped ABA does this mean anything. I can't find anything else which I think is a casting code.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Your engine is around 1954 as it has the very early valve cover held on by two bolts, after 1954 the cover had six screws. The casting number you need is on the side of the engine opposite the injection pump and could be just visible above the dynamo if you have one fitted. There is another casting code on the cylinder head between the manifold and the valve cover. You also have the vertical injection pump not one that leans in to the engine and an old style mechanical governor.

You can also see the early style valve cover breather pipe that goes into the manifold not into the air cleaner as in the later engines.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edhopwood »

Thanks for the response to my last question, haven't been on the forum for a while so didn't notice the reply!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Your pump has either a "GM" or a "GV" governor attached to a standard Simms pump of the era. The mechanical governor was used in industrial applications of the engine where a constant speed was required rather than reactions to load as in truck and tractor applications. As your engine is the early type the pump will be a "GV". You should have a plate on the governor housing which gives the type and the rev range you have.

There is little adjustment to control "hunting" in the pump but there should be engine oil in the governor housing. There is an oil level plug on the rear of the governor housing and a large filler plug on the side. You may find that an oil change is all you need to correct your problem. There are no adjustments as everything internally is springs and linkage which will have worn a little over the years giving you the problem, i would doubt that there are any spares available aftyer all this time.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian