I went on the internet this week, and I found this...

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
ford5000y
True Blue

I went on the internet this week, and I found this...

Post by ford5000y »

I think some of you are familiar with the title of this topic(Jeremy Clarkson on TopGear). but the thing is, I DO went on the internet and I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCg2rlcnYZ8

To tell you, Im surprised that the tractor's engine didn't even labor at all when it happened... :shock:

Pavel
True Blue

Re: I went on the internet this week, and I found this...

Post by Pavel »

That's why the stump jump plough was invented here in Oz.

Pavel

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Ouch. :cry: That farm needs a backhoe/ loader to get the bones dug out of the way. Not to worry! They'll get that plow back together. Not supprised that the County did not even shutter. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

I'm sorry to say all my paddocks are like that I use a 6 disc shearer majestic behind my 754 but a lot of my place has only had 1 or 2 ploughings since being cleared in the 60s I would think some of the ploughing days you see the paddocks would have had hundreds b
Last edited by brockwood on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

That’s just part of life in our area as well, all the plows around here have trip mechanisms as you can dig up one of those field potatoes every round.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yeah, we have rocky ground here also. Some of the more modern plows have a hydraulic trip and reset. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

One of the better things about using disc ploughs is that they ride over most obstructions such as shallow roots and rocks. But for better, and cheaper, control of weeds we use a mouldboard plough every 5 years or so. And no matter how often we have done so in the past there are always rocks and roots surfacing. To counter this we now first use a 9 tine pan buster cultivator which brings most of the rubbish to the surface to be removed first. This seems to work well. Neighbours, though, say that using minimum-till saves all this effort -- even if they have to use gallons and gallons of herbicide. I prefer not to.

Pavel

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I was watching the “Farm Report” on TV several months ago and they were saying that no till just hasn’t taken over the way it was predicted to years ago. Many no till farmers are still plowing most acreage every couple of years. The farms that grow vegetables around here never stopped plowing yearly, as Pavel points out largely for weed control, most of the vegies are planted by means of transplanting the young plants from seed beds and they want the fields to be good and loose for the roots to take hold and as weed free as possible.
Used plows still bring good money in this area.

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:I was watching the “Farm Report” on TV several months ago and they were saying that no till just hasn’t taken over the way it was predicted to years ago. Many no till farmers are still plowing most acreage every couple of years. The farms that grow vegetables around here never stopped plowing yearly, as Pavel points out largely for weed control, most of the vegies are planted by means of transplanting the young plants from seed beds and they want the fields to be good and loose for the roots to take hold and as weed free as possible.
Used plows still bring good money in this area.

Pat
Also, I think the bad thing about no-till method is that the soil will be compacted as time passes. In fact, we left our field uncultivated for several months only and when it is the time to plant onions, we discovered that the soil was so hard that the disc harrow was just "rolling" on the ground, even on full depth! (Here in our place, farmers "plough" using offset disc harrows, which as far as I know, wasn't really a plough, instead they're harrowing, isn't it?)

But, for me, the worst thing about no-till method is that it gets rid of the ploughing, which, for me, is one of the operations in farming that gives the most fun :D .

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

For those who havent seen a shearer royal in action got a heaver 6 disc majestic for this year was ploughing scrub at the bottom of the paddock b http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgI6y50-IY
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

brockwood wrote:For those who havent seen a shearer royal in action got a heaver 6 disc majestic for this year was ploughing scrub at the bottom of the paddock b http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgI6y50-IY
Good thing that your e27n crawler could pull a 4 furrow disc plow. Here in our area, the four furrow disc plow is only reserved for the more powerful tractors. One of the farmers here uses a 4 furrow disc plow, but he owns TWO FORD 7000s :D . Most of the farmers use a 3 furrow disc plow, but I have seen a ford force 5000, with full set of rear weights, balloon tyres, and ballast that got stuck just trying to pull a 3 furrow!