How to protect topper from rust?

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

How to protect topper from rust?

Post by SimonT »

Hello,

Until I've built a barn I have to store my Major and topper outside. The topper is susceptible to rust even though its covered by plastic sheeting. I seem to remember coating machinery stored outside in a solution of grease thinned with petrol (the idea being, I imagine that the petrol evaporated and left a very thin film of grease). In case my memory is playing tricks I thought I'd google for evidence of the method. I couldn't find any.

Can anyone suggest the best way to protect my topper?

Thanks
Simon
Just step sideways

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Re: How to protect topper from rust?

Post by Daves rusty bits »

40 years ago I used Ensis oil to protect plough shiny bits between use but didn`t have a clue what it was. I just googled it and it came up as a non drying protective oil. I think covering with plastic would prevent moisture from drying off and encourage rust.
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: How to protect topper from rust?

Post by oehrick »

I use Ensis Fluid too, as the years go by it has less lanolin for higher cost :cry: so I've started cutting it about 50:50 with Waxoil to get a cold sprayable mixture with good dry lasting properties, mix on a very hot day or warm the Waxoil tin up with a hot air gun first and shake up the mix well or the Waxoil fraction separates and drops out..... (I also add I'd guess 1 - 2% WD40 / AC90, (whichever Cromwells have on offer) as

Its available to order from main shell dealers, have a look at the the Shell MSDS (Safety Data) sheets for 'best fit' as it comes in several grades (but not the really thick one like steam oil I used to use) - I'd send the url / spec but its on the hard drive in my dead laptop, recovery of which is getting urgent :curse:

I've not tried it but suspect Waxoil might stand being cut with white spirit when hot to make it sprayable - might be worth a try. (I'm talking hand spray bottles, not airline)

For really long term preservation of steam engine bright parts which may take some years to re erect I have cleaned the item, say a crankpin or main journal, wrapped with a few turns of cotton or linen sheet, the first turn of which gets the WD40 spray, then saturate the remaining layers with Ensis or Ensis /Waxoil cocktail, copper wired or tie wrapped into place - some of these mummifications have survived a couple of decades of storage (included moving with crane strops on the protected area) with the part being bright & shiny when opened - not quite what you want for your topper but it dries out fairly quickly (a few days) and is fairly durable.

HTH

If you know any wool processors and can lay hands on straight Lanolin Simon, it could be much cheaper and I'd like to be your best buddy forever :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes