Little different Tractor

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Little different Tractor

Post by jan »

Hi all
here is what i fount in the WWW
dont know what i should think about it :?: :?: :?:
it is a tvo new major !!! :?: :?: :?:
here is a link to the site (iIncludes video and photo)

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/oddly- ... e-believe/
what do you mean about this ?
mbg jan

super6954
True Blue

Re: Little different Tractor

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I hope he finishes the axle top off with a cover. looks like an excuse to visit the hospital as it is now :eyes: :run: . As for the tractor he used, i would think screwing up a rare very nice looking Pet /tvo tractor wasn't smart either :cry: . That one runs about as well as my straight petrol in Canada :cry: . A diesel would of been a better choice for being common and more powerful, if a guy wanted to destroy a tractor in this way :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Wondered the same thing myself Super6954. I could tell it was a petrol just by the sound. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

So only drive to the RH axle? So with a little loss of traction on that side and you are stuck! A bodge job that a good engineer wouldn't entertain. It does not in any way "improve" what was a good system in the first place. You have got to love that milky water emulsified oil and is a real "accident waiting to happen"!!
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Halftrack Hank
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Halftrack Hank »

And the purpose of this exercise is.................... ?
My wife always said that I was crazy messing about with old tractors , after seeing this " thing " , she now thinks that i'm a genius !
Halftrack Hank ( redeemed tractor restorer )

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

There is another thread perhaps a year back where this featured, general consensus was it was 1 wheel drive and even for a bodge, pretty poor :(
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

I have seen this article only recently and I'm sorry, but what is that thing for!?

Now, because of that, the tractor can be used for ploughing, well, not any deeper than about 1 cm, I think

It can't be used for pulling any heavy loads because since the drive is now only on the RH side, any load would cause the tractor to continuously swerve to the left, am I right?

It can't be used on muddy ground as well because of the same problem on the drivetrain, so what's the point of a tractor if it cannot drive through muddy or uneven terrain?

And quoting the article:
So you have an old Fordson Major tractor that you have been dying to give that low slung, hot rod look to? Boy have we got a revelation for you! Thanks to Nordic BangShift correspondent Arild Guldbrandsen, we have a video that shows exactly how to achieve the look with some junkyard parts and some really awesome Rube Goldberg mechanical thinking. All you need to do is to complete this simply brilliant “axle over” conversion and you too can have the chain driven classic tractor of your dreams! Why would you want to do this? Probably because you are super cool or the fact that you have a really long winter to dream up ideas and this seemed like a good one after a bunch of beers.

1. Why would you want to give a tractor a low-slung look? It's a TRACTOR. It has a high clearance so that it could go over rough terrain so if a tractor has a low clearance then it's NOT a tractor.
2. "simply brilliant"? He didn't even have a seat! If he's going to sit to the place where the seat should be, the chain drive would end up chewing his right burial mound.!
3. "Really awesome Rube Goldberg mechanical thinking", huh? HE PUT THE DRIVE IN THE RH SIDE ONLY!! So, remove the words "awesome" and "thinking" on the sentence. replace it with, probably "awful" and, I hate to say this, "unthinking".
4."Why would you want to do this? Probably you are super cool or the fact that you have a really long winter to dream up ideas and this seemed like a good one after a bunch of beers." Yeah. I bet that by the time the man got hold of an old fordson his brain went so cool that it temporarily "assumed room temperature". In that case the winter temperature didn't help as well.
5. Did he EVER heard of the KFD major?? he could have just bought one (if he had enough money to buy one and if he can find one on sale) and put even smaller wheels on instead of completely ruining an old nice fordson like that. If he didn't know anything about a KFD major, then that's the proper "revelation" for him!

And a tip for the bloke who built that contraption:

If you wanted a motor vehicle that has a low ground clearance, get a car.