Pascal's article about installing a raised PTO added!

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Pascal's article about installing a raised PTO added!

Post by Oscar »

Chaps,

Some time ago Pascal sent me an article with photos about installing a raised PTO on his Major. I've added it to the Wiki, you can find it here.

Pascal, can you check if I made any errors?

There are very good pictures in this article too! Enjoy it!

Regards,
Oscar

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Great article Pascal! Very well done :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

that is a very good article Pascal a very good read.

Regards
James

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Pascal
Good article. Had'nt thought about pumping the oil out of the rear transmission.
Kiwi Kev

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for placing the article. It looks great in the Wiki!

Best regards,
Pascal
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Hi Pascal,

If you see any errors in your article or if you want to make any changes, just click the edit button, make the changes, and hit the save button :).

Regards,
Oscar

henk

Post by henk »

Well done Pascal,

Pictures tells so much more.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Great article indeed, a word of warning regarding the use of instant gasket/liquid sealant - less is often better than more! Imagine that however much is squeezed out on the ouside of the joint is dropping off into the insides too! A bead of sealant which gets squished down to a few thou thick has to go somewhere! Engine sumps are a favourite problem area, with bits of sealant blocking up the oil pump pick up strainer resulting in ruined engine.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hello Pascal,

That is a great article about fitting the raised PTO. I have always wondered if a raised PTO would fit on an E27N. I have an E27N fitted with a P6V engine that is good for 80 HP at 2400 RPM but I can't use it because I need 540 RPM on the PTO for most things. A raised PTO would solve most of that, but I have never seen how they get fitted. OK before I get the howls of protest about modifying my tractor I will say that everything that has been done can be unbolted after her working life is over, and I plan to keep her after that and put her back to standard, but some extra PTO HP would be good at the moment. Probably won't be an issue because raised PTOs seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo and my grandson's rocking horse seems to be toilet trained.
I will however say that Roadless is absolutely right about instant gasket. You won't have too many problems with the back end of your tractor but I have found that it is a temporary seal at best. Many years ago when I was very young I watched a mechanic make a gasket out of gasket paper by sticking it onto the mating surface with grease and tapping out the profile with an engineering hammer around the edges. 40 years later I know that gasket does not leak because it is sitting in my back yard on my other tractor. I can't say the same for a lot of my later efforts with instant gasket.

Regards, Frank.

Emiel
True Blue

Raised PTO on E27N

Post by Emiel »

Hello Frank,

The raised pto won't fit to your E27N because the gearbox on a new major is longer, so the internal pto shaft is longer as well.

Cutting and welding an old new major axle to shorten is is not good, because of these are very rare and not to be destroyed.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Emiel,

Thanks for the information about the PTO shaft. I just assumed they would fit because I have seen E1A Major hydraulic lifts fitted to E27N Fordsons. I know the bottom plate on the rear end interchanges so you can fit the hydraulic pump and I know you have to change the shaft so that you have the drive gear to drive the pump. I didn't know the shaft length had to be changed also to make it all work. Not that it would have happened in a hurry, but I think you have just saved me a lot of gear oil and a lot of frustration.

Regards, Frank.