fitting 12 volt winch

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
taffdavies
True Blue

fitting 12 volt winch

Post by taffdavies »

Hi

New to this forum, have had my power major for some 10 years, quietly bringing back from a junk heap to a reasonable working tractor. I do have a problem, cannot get the 12 volt winch to operate without fading under load after a couple of minutes. I have fitted an alternator but still no good. Someone said that I would need a double system ie "2 batteries and 2 alternators"?
I cannot fathom this out especially where to hang the other battery and hook up the alternator. Hoping someone will be able to help me. The othe problem, I am U/S with electrics. :scratchhead:

Pavel
True Blue

Re: fitting 12 volt winch

Post by Pavel »

I think you may find that your alternator is not capable of generating enough amps to power the winch.
What make and model of alternator have you fitted? Some of the Lucas and Bosch ones are only 30 amps, or less; whereas above 55 should be the go -- plus [important] up-rated wiring from alternator to battery.
Your winch should also have a plate telling you how many amps it draws. This will give you an idea of how much output your alternator needs to have --plus 5 or 10 amps to allow the battery to maintain its charge and service lights, etc.
Fitting 2 alternators is a no no. You can get second hand ones with outputs well over 100 amps -- such as those 12 volt ones fitted to trucks [lorries].

Pavel

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

As Pavel said plus...

Does any of the wiring or connectors, switches, solenoids controlling the winch get hot as it starts to fade ? if so they may be under rated for the current being drawn (10 amps at 12 V DC needs a much heavier cable than 10 amps mains - think of jump lead thickness !)

Good luck, first requisite is a reasonable multimeter, there is enough knowledge hereabouts to help you drive it.

The full load current of the winch is the starting place.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

It further crosses my mind: What amperage wiring is connected to the winch?; and where on the tractor is it connected too -- the battery?
Within reason, you cannot have too high an amperage wire -- the higher the amperage; the less voltage loss and therefore less heat felt. A sure indication of too low a wire's capacity is crinkling of the outer insulation.

Pavel

taffdavies
True Blue

Post by taffdavies »

Thanks for the info, tractor some 50 miles away, will check your advice against the beast this week end.

taffdavies
True Blue

Post by taffdavies »

Managed to source a 70amp alternator. Bit of a fiddle to fit but all done and winch is doing its job. Sorry a bit late answering.

Electrics still a problem because we have the ministry and police on our backs. Because we are towing a boat on the highway for some 300 yards tractor must be road legal for lights indicators and brake lights. As you can appreciate a fordson of 1955 vintage needs some figuring how to install the switches and lights to provide the power to a lighting board. Have been towing on this road for the past fifty years with no problems. :cry:

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Taff
I submitted a set of drawings etc to these pages re updating your electrics.
Look under the Dexta pages and at the top there is the Announcements section. The last article covers WIKI shortcut, homepage link and Torque Settings. Go there and take a look at the second block about modernising a Dexta's electrics. This may be of help to you.
Any questions then post or PM me.
Cheers
Jerry Coles
Bath
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

taffdavies
True Blue

Post by taffdavies »

At last back on line after an eventfull couple of years.
2017 Lost this year due to snapping my Achilles tendon. Walking again :mrgreen: .
2018 Beast fro the East stopped play, when weather started to improve I had a cardio problem - off to hospital again. :curse:
Thanks to everyon e with advice on fitting winch - bigger alternator sorted it. :clap:
September - started tractor after 2 years of non use and fuel has gunged up. Replacing some parts, will drain tank, Is there a method (chemical) to clean inside of tank? :eyes:
A word of caution - my son operating the winch took his eye off it and the spool shattered. NEW spool fitted :scratchhead:

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi Taff,

Ow on the Achilles tendon, I'm currently hobbling about having broken the medial malleolus off my right tibia so have plenty of sympathy !

Glad the winch & Alternator ended up OK.

I've just de waxed my fuel filter after the Major, standing idle nearly a year, was trailered from where it lives to where I live so I can do some work on her, suffered an embarrassing stall in the lane at 'rush hour' until I could blow through and bleed. I found that having blown the filter and fuel pipe through after draining the tank (ali Chinese takeaway trays make lovely wings to add to funnels when draining fuel!) that I could see nothing else in the tank so its possible you may be OK, refilling through a fine filter caught no other rubbish but I had the tank off a couple of years back to properly solder some poor, weepy repairs from years ago and as part of that filled it with nearly boiling caustic soda solution and some old chain and a handful of M8 nuts to to rattle around and remove rust or scale from the inside, after several rinses (and for goodness do take care with the solution if you try it, not nice in contact with any body part) and heat assisted drying I coated the inside of the tank with several washes of 50:50 diluted Hammerite paint (the good old stuff not this new rubbish) dried off with a hot air gun between coats. I'm told there are now some proprietary and expensive tank linings available but have not tried them, quite happy with my method time my diminishing supply of Hammerite holds out !

Hope that helps & onward & upward with the health recovery, Welsh scenery observed from the seat of a Fordson should be available on the NHS !
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

taffdavies
True Blue

Post by taffdavies »

Thanks for the tips. Must admit Welsh Scenery is very good but the Gower coast is outstanding especially when it is not raining :D .Tractor is based at Port Eynon bay keeping my caravan and boat company, sited some 200 yards from top tide line. We love the area so much (since 1963) have never been abroad, apart from Ireland. :P