Baling

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Baling

Post by Brian »

Many thanks to JDSeller for posting this on Yesterdays Tractors, it is so good it is worth viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiOPm4n3c_M

Sorry no Ford or Fordson tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Re: Baling

Post by Chris Ivin »

I remember seeing these self loading bale trailers at the Royal Show in the 1970s but never came across one on a UK farm. It looks a neat labour saving system, I have never seen one loading or unloading before, it beats a Lister elevator any day! How many bales would one of these carry?
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

So that's what you get if you put one of those fenland cabbage / cauliflower harvesters on steroids (or leave it in the barn with a Lister elevator) :clap:

I was thinking it was pretty low density transport but more than makes up for that as low labour lifting / stacking - don't think I've ever seen one before either.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I always thought on of these:

and one of these would be the perfect baling team
:D

https://youtu.be/HPGsJovzD54

They used to show us the sales films in the evenings at Boreham but I never saw them both in the flesh working. I have now seen the baler at my friend Allan Cook's farm in Victoria.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Maybe your experience of baling is different to mine Brian but an artic trailer length in front of the baler would still be too close for me, let alone sitting just behind and sucking all that dust down :cry: :cry:

The loader on the video is a different matter altogether compared to the initial one, although I might not loose out if I backed Bogside's remaining resident farmer with his assembling sled and flat eight grab on the FEL in a race :beer:

Compared to the MIL era / type FEL's the more modern variety give the height and flexibility which this unit gives an advantage over.

The estate had a contractor in last year who did the giant rectangular bales (used to seeing the straw go in round bales) and the handler had a front mounted aligner which barged them sideways, picked one up, next one set first over, subsequent pair set crossways then when full stood the stack up and IIRC stacked them 8 or 12 high - I couldn't even move a single bale !

Times change and not always for the worse I suppose

Hope you can find your 'dream team' at the right price Brian :wink:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Nice video. Nothing wrong with DB tractor, is it?

Seen such loaders years ago at a tractor dealer not too far from here, they were New Hollands. A little bit of googling gave me this picture.

Sure saves a lot of sweat and pain in the back. Problem is the rel. low capacity of around 120 to 160 bales. 2nd problem is you can not use them universally as you can with a normal farm wagon.

Rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Rick,
oehrick wrote:The estate had a contractor in last year who did the giant rectangular bales (used to seeing the straw go in round bales) and the handler had a front mounted aligner which barged them sideways, picked one up, next one set first over, subsequent pair set crossways then when full stood the stack up and IIRC stacked them 8 or 12 high - I couldn't even move a single bale !
did you think of this? https://youtu.be/mKpuT3bSQaI ? From 1:10 to 4:30
Really fast ...

Peter
1963 Super Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Watching that video puts farming with a Dexta a little bit in the shade. :D Ann says we would get none of that kit onto our fields. :cry:
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Just the thing Peter, although the fields here are a bit small for that speed.

Ann has a point Brian, currently you don't need a bowser on standby 24/7 :wink:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure