A new plough for my birthday

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

A new plough for my birthday

Post by Brian »

No pictures yet but as it was my birthday on Thursday I was allowed out with some birthday money to buy a new plough, one I have always wanted, from a farmer down the road. A Ransomes TSR 102 with SCN bodies and SN skimmers all in good condition. This is the plough I have always been looking for but they were always too much money.

Now that the land has started to dry out a bit I have been muck spreading and ploughing. Managed to get the muck spreader stuck last week with a full load, one short run up the field, turned at the top and started down when the spreader disappeared. Had to unhitch and get the Nuffy out but she came out OK. So, for a week, Scarning had a new feature as you entered the village, a Howard Rotospreader stuck on one side of the road and a Johnson Potato harvester stuck on the other.

Last Saturday was "Industrial Archaeology Day", Ann and I took Henrietta and Nuffy down, hitched Nuffy to the spreader using the linkage drawbar and the spreader came out with little trouble. The potato harvester was more problematic. Again hitched Nuffy up using the linkage drawbar but hitched Henrietta on the front of Nuffy. Started to rock backwards and forwards just to get things moving then full welly with both. At one point Nuffy had her front wheels in the air about 4' and was pulling the harvester forwards and Henrietta backwards but then suddenly all came out together.

Once all was clear I finished spreading the muck and put Nuffy on the three furrow plough. Although dry on top it was sticky and claggy going, I expected problems when I got to where the spreader went in but surprise, surprise she ploughed through with no problems at all. Now the land is starting to dry nicely and I have just a small area to finish.

This is what the land looks like, it has run together and set like concrete with all the rain.

Comes over in slabs. :curse:

It will take a bit of breaking down to produce a seedbed, just got to wait and let it dry. If you hit it too early it will run together and smear, that puts you back where you started. Wait too long and each of those clods will be set hard and impossible to break. Who said Norfolk had light sandy land? :scratchhead:

Just a short video.

Of course I have left a large piece un-ploughed for when I get the TSR 102 home.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Re: A new plough for my birthday

Post by SkidRoe »

Happy belated birthday, Brian! :clap:

Congrats on the new plow. Pictures Please!!

Cheers - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773