Military Fordsons / Dexta

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
MOD Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Military Fordsons / Dexta

Post by MOD Dexta »

Hi I have just restored a 59 Dexta, bought from MOD disposal sales approx 30+ years ago ( previous owner).
No details known except fully intact cab and very low hours.
Does anyone know of any others? or how would I find out any history from MOD?

Also tractor appears to be governed to 1800 RPM, even with air cleaner off wont hit 2000. could it have different length of governor spring?

Any help really appreciated

Will send pictures if you could guide me on how to attach them.

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Military Fordsons / Dexta

Post by Timeee »

Hail MOD Dexta

I am not aware of Fordson Dextas being on general issue to the Army during that period. The make of tractor around at that time for those units that required a tractor was made by the opposition (MF). These were usually industrial versions. The RAF and Royal Navy tended to do their own thing as their requirement on airfields and naval facilities were often unique. The RAF certainly liked their Fordson Standard N for airfield service during WW II as well as David Brown VAG1 Aircraft Tugs, so perhaps they may have gone for Dextas in the late 1950s/early 1960s. The Royal Engineers often undertook special (usually construction) projects overseas and special buys were made for these with the equipment often sold off immediately afterwards, usually in country. It was not unknown, however, for such equipment to be sold off through the MOD Equipment Disposal System in the UK. Some of the larger Army stores depots also made special one-off buys to meet a local need eg: For use in an ammunition depot. Army Garrison administration departments also procured one-off buys in those times to carry out functions such as maintaining garrison sports fields, gardens and buildings. They would tend to buy a little tractor to tow a little trailer, or a set of gang mowers. These functions were largely let out to tender by civilian contractors after the early 1980s and so there was no need for such equipment to be held by the MOD after that time.

If you have just restored your Dexta, did you notice any different paint colours on it, giving an indication of where it might have been used? Green (obviously) Blue, White, or Plant Yellow? Is there any "extra" identification plates on it? Most vehicles had an MOD Contract Number plate attached to them with a number starting something like Contract No FVE/12 - 2076. This was usually a thick metal plate about 6 in x 2in, which would have been riveted, or firmly attached to the tractor, usually somewhere in the cab. This would give an indication of which service procured your tractor and at least that would give some idea of where it might have served.

Hope this may give you some pointers.

Tim E

MOD Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MOD Dexta »

Thanks Tim, some good pointers. some markings exist ie Unladen weight written on the bonnet, drain taps labelled for cooling system and tyre pressure close to each wheel with oil types to be used by each filler hole.
it seems to have been stripped of ID numbers with two clear areas that had been acid cleaned and were very rusty one on the side of the gearbox and the other where any number plate would have been painted on, below top link point on rear Diff housing.

Ive known the tractor since it was bought from the dispersal sale 30+ years ago it was mint back then, previous owner (deceased 23 years) collected Jeeps and Austin Champs etc so picked the Dexta up because it seemed tidy and could be used around his fields. It came with only 580 hours showing and now its in full working order I suspect its genuine and it hasnt been used much at all everything is tight, steering has virtually no play and the engine is so smooth, Ive driven around 10 Dextas with between 2000 and 15000 hours, none were this smooth. It had original Goodyear tyres, 3 of which were perished from standing.

On stripping it, all control levers were painted red, gear levers, starter, hydraulic knobs etc, which I have now reinstated, not yet sign written the above detail as Im not sure whether It will make or ruin the job.
The cab could be a Winsam but beneath a By Royal Appointment graphic Ive uncovered are the remanants of a word ending in DRI so Possibly a Staydri cab.

The spec of the tractor appears to be high for the period, with the cab, two foot rests, mountings for mirrors on both sides the nose cone, also its dual clutch but no Diff lock. just about to start refurb of the cab as my next project. John

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you posted the casting codes from each of the cast housings it may give clue as to when she was made. Seems strange to burn off the serial number as this would only be a Ford number, may just have been a leaking battery. It should be on the flange of the clutch housing on the injector pump side.

Pictures would be good too. :D

:needpics:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

MOD Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MOD Dexta »

Hi, Brian, the areas burnt are where there would have been a reg plate / number painted on the center of the rear axle and on the side of the gear box, all Fordson serial and ID markings are present and have shown tractor to have been a 1959.
This was veryfied by Ford and Fordson to allow me to get an age related plate. It makes sense that it may have been on some form of maintenance roll as its not done much work. it drives like brand new.

I have tried many times now to get photos on and am awaiting some help from a younger generation as I have had no luck on attachments of any type. I think Ive managed to enter my first show at Astle Park Cheshire in August. john

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hi John,
There are instructions for posting pictures in the list above the forum. You need a Photobucket account or similar to upload your pictures to. This is usually free but if you want to avoid adverts there is a charge.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=1&t=5024

You could also e-mail them to me and I will upload them from my account.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Last edited by blackbob on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

MOD Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MOD Dexta »

Hi Brian, All sorry for long delay. Tractor was definitely fitted with the metal Sta-Dri type cab, as per photo, canvas door bottoms and rear roll down window.

I have shown the tractor now and won best Ford / Fordson in show. Still in shock for first time out.
Yet again failed to upload pictures. if you mail me on jlhome@live.co.uk I will send them to you by return as sharing those may prompt more info.

Spoke with various folks whilst showing, one of who was ex services and remembers similar machines on Royal Ordinance duties around rural airfields. john

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Doesn't dark bronze green sit nicely on a Dexta :D Well deserved win :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

BearCreek Majors
True Blue