Massey F 565 1984 combine fuel help

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Massey F 565 1984 combine fuel help

Post by oehrick »

Sorry to sully the board with the red & grey peril but my neighbour, who lost his 'man' earlier this year (having known him since his teens :( ) has his combine stuck in the barley and asked if I could have a look. Six cylinder Perkins engine running fine until it stopped

Its not getting fuel to the filters or pump, manually filling through the filter bleed screw hole just drains awaym apparently back down the fuel line. There is at least 4 drums of new fuel on top of whatever was in the tank and no sign of what we've poured in the bleed hole draining out elsewhere and it is low enough not to be going back down the drain line. Pipe off the fuel bowl / stop tap under the tank and diesel pours out.

The tank is well below the filters, there has to be some means of lifting fuel but doesn't appear to be a mechnaical pump on the engine and I can't see anything along the general line of the fuel line. The engine cranks over well but doesn't seem to lift fuel, if it was raised by vacuum, how would you bleed it ??

I'm stumped and he's stuck - any bright ideas or pointers to a manual on-line would be very much appreciated here in Bogside.

Anyone brave enough to admit knowing MF ??

Thanks

Rick
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Massey F 565 1984 combine fuel help

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Might there be an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank? Blown fuse?

Rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Rick,
it is many years since I looked at one of those and apart from telling your friend to scrap it and get a New Holland, there is little advice I can give.

There should certainly be a lift pump on the engine, possibly a round Bosch one with a screw in plunger, you unscrew the knob and then work the plunger. Might even be an electric one but not sure.

Again, not sure but some of those were fitted with gauze filters in the banjo bolts along the fuel line and these sometimes got missed.

Give me a bell on 01362 687694 if I can be of any help. I am tied to the workshop bench building a batch of "magic" boxes this week.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks both, there has to be something lifting the fuel, other than the fuel level gauge I can't see any other wires into the tank and couldn't see anything mechanical on the block - what a pig to even see anything let alone work on :curse: .

Nothing useful found on the web other than mechanical lift pumps available BUT as they also made a 565 tractor may not be combine...............

Thanks for the offer Brian and good luck with your magic box production line - oh and ironically after many years he had been looking for a replacement.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Problem solved Gents,

Before I got down there he had 'discovered' a mechanical pump on the other side of the block, nicely concealed by the turbo, the benefits of a good light on the subject eh??

We had fixed a small weep where the flexi exits the bowl under the tank yesterday which must have been drawing air, the old girl is roaring her way through a crop of barley so small and laid that only the straw will return the cost of cutting I suspect :eyes:

Cheers Forum folk, nice to have had your assistance :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure