Interesting tractor in Charlies Yard.

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Interesting tractor in Charlies Yard.

Post by Brian »

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Interesting tractor in Charlies Yard.

Post by oehrick »

Thats what they use to bump start those BIIIIG Antonov Ruski freight planes isn't it Brian ?

I dunno who Charlie is but best he get some blue paint on it PDQ :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Charlie is my friend Charles atkin of Atkin Farm Machinery at East Dereham. Usually take visitors down to look around the yard as he has some interesting stuff at times.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

So what is it? Some kind of tug used on an aircraft carrier perhaps?

Must be a big engine, judging by the size of the radiator? 4 wheel drive, possibly 4 wheel steer?
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Brian now I know :)

It looks like a Tug doesn't it Bob, at first I thought it was battery powered then twigged the rad, theres a fair sized strop rolled up in the wing, airport style 4 position hitch on the back and the hitch on the front looks like it may have powered traverse :scratchhead:

No doubt Brian will enlighten us in due course, after we've had a chance to work it out

I still go with aero tractor but with hindsight it has nowhere near the ballast that safely moving an Antonov or Galaxy would need but isn't low enough for the smaller stuff ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

It was the sliding hitch (and the Navy sticker) which made me think of parking planes/helicopters in a confined space, eg onboard a ship.

But what is the red tank beside the driver's seat? Air? Fuel - LPG maybe? :shock:

Hold the front page - I found it!! http://www.car-transplants.co.uk/vehicl ... nown/16451
1440276 - 1957 - working

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Right, went back to collect my "new" mower today and picked up a few more pictures and information.

Weight .. 14 tons
Four wheel drive, four wheel steer.
Nearly bullet proof except driver.

Red tank is foam for fire fighting and that is a fire hose not a towing strop.

Another fire extiguisher and Dash panel.

Perkins 6 cylinder engine laid on its side and mounted cross ways. Looks like the 6.354 family from what you can see. Would hate to have to work on it.

Hydraulic oil tank behind the engine.

Headlight, side light and foam tank refill tube.

This is the fuel intake hose, diesel of course.

Front drawbar on hydraulic side to side adjuster.

On four good tyres.

Ex HMS Ark Royal and purported to be the one David Cameron stood on and addressed the crew when she was decommissioned.

Could be yours for £4000.00 plus VAT.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Nice bit of detective work Bob & thanks for the extra pics etc Brian - I could find more attractive things to do with 4K if I had it :clap: mind you, if I ever sell my tug raised from the Belgrano.....................

Seems a bit indecent to expect a Perky to work with all that oil slopping about side to side - and given the lightness of the superstructure I'm amazed at the 14 tons - I thought initially it was a fire hose then thought what use would that be without considerable water supply.

So is the bulk of the 14T metal or water ballast, no scratch that wit water a Tonne per cubic metre it must be Gold bars :D

That boy Brian, he dew git about !

(BTW not sure I metioned it Brian, I've eventually got a working speedo again - robbed a musem :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Nearly all the chassis and frame are girder! Most of the metal covers are around 3/16th plate. It is more like "steel work" than "tin work".

Charlie thought some one like you with an expensive coracle, Rick, would snap it up as a launch tractor but that would be such a waste. It would be sacrilege to see it on Cromer beach with the other rusting relics.

Interestingly there is no name or makers plate that can be found or a place where one has been removed. Bit like MOD Dexta's tractor.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

:D Funny you should say that, I'm growing some long hazel wands with half an eye on making a coracle ! Generally they get made into hurdles to fill gaps in the hedge. Agree with your thoughts on the beach tractor idea, I think weight and lack of tread or winch might act against that - but if it took a Fordson off 'death row' who cares :clap:

Even at 4K I'm sure he will get a sale, did you know, there are complete nutters about who buy surplus military gear, restore it and then either rally it or play soldiers with it - whatever next ???
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Hmm i still find the 14-tonnes bit hard to believe..

I mean, they only had Harriers and similar on the Ark Royal.. This beasty is 'also' 14 tonnes and looks it, and can handle much bigger aircraft: http://yorkshireairmuseum.org/exhibits/ ... craft-tug/

1440276 - 1957 - working

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Tud duties on tarmac may well be different to tossing about in a force 10 gale with the Argies dropping exocets down yer funnel Bob but yes I was surprised at the weight - had it been wall to wall batteries instead of diesel powered.......

I wouldn't want to put a set of tyres on either of those and if they are solids they must account for a few tons.

Mind you, Brian is known to buy stuff by the ton so the dealer might have been hoping for a return visit with the change from his new mower purchase in his pocket and inflated it by a few ton.

psst He's not about is he ?? Talking about inflation, confidentially, I'd heard from an ex Wrights mole that Brian is at least 120 years old, apparently they added up all the overtime he had booked from all his old timesheets when he retired - don't tell anyone else, we'll keep that between us as he's very proud of his boyish good looks and I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of Ann and a newly sharpened spud planter :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure