Different Blue - Ransomes MG2 Crawler

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Different Blue - Ransomes MG2 Crawler

Post by oehrick »

OEH Towers has become the temporary home for a friends newly acquired Ransomes 'FrankenCrawler' an MG2 which has been very nicely fitted with a rare Petter PAV4 aircooled engine and hydraulic drive. It is so not Ransomes looking it is 'right' if you know what I mean, currently suffering from a steering brake problem, I wondered if anyone on here had a digitised MG2 manual they would be prepared to share ?? (or know where I can find one online - I've looked hard and the nearest found is for an MG5 - don't know how different they were.

Its not True Blue but Nacton / Orwell blue (and military green for the engine !) I'm looking forward to having some fun with it and maybe haul out some timber inaccessible to the Major if I can get it to steer properly.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Different Blue - Ransomes MG2 Crawler

Post by Emiel »

Hi Rick,

Any pictures perhaps? Sounds like a nice machine.

rgds
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

It is certainly 'different' Emiel, I'll try and get a pic when next he is over and has the cover off - it has been nicely done, oil tank at rear with a hole through it for the starting handle. then engine, then seat at the front over the gearbox. it has plenty of power but not much steering so that will be the first thing for him to address, not a usual one for me as I tend to 'take over' and while it is living here for a while it isn't mine, thought about a couple of davits on the back of my Major so I could carry it like a lifeboat :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Rick, :needpics:

No problem to talk about other brands of tractors here :D. We also have a green one with yellow wheels. Who can guess the brand of this one? :scratchhead:
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

hijgend hert?
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Emiel wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 am
hijgend hert?
no :), but it's part of the New Holland family in a way...

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Aha, you're a man of wealth and taste (I allready knew, when people have roadless they are :D )Then it's a single pot hot bulb from France. Nice.
Best regards

Emiel

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Emiel wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:50 pm
Aha, you're a man of wealth and taste (I allready knew, when people have roadless they are :D )Then it's a single pot hot bulb from France. Nice.
Emiel, it's a County, not a roadless ;-). And for the French old girl: actually it's my wifes tractor. It's a tiny one single pot hot bulb. Brand name: SFV - Societé Française Vierzon. They were bought out by Case back in the day. Currently the fuel pump has been taken off for service. The Vierzon tractors are cheaper here and not as popular as Lanz Bulldog, Ursus, Landini and Pampa hot bulbs. My budget is not big enough for those. Anyway, a 5000 pre force based County is still on my wish list, doesn't have to be a 6pot.

As long as Rick isn't coming over with some pictures, we can have some small talk here :evil:

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Sounds interesting, the starting handle at the back and the seat over the gearbox suggests a reverse drive model. Because of the brake design they work far better going forwards (travelling engine first!) than backwards.
We've owned MG 2, 5, 6, and 40 over the years - the MG 2 has been with us since 1970.
To get to the steering brakes on an MG 2, remove the brake lever pivots and release the brake adjuster, remove the gear selector, then it's the 10 (?) long bolts around the front and back of the gearbox and lift the top off.
They are flexible brake bands which with a bit of wriggling should pull out. The brake chambers have the gearbox on one side and the final drive case on the other so if there's oil contamination you have 2 possible suspects.
Looking forward to photos,
Rob.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!