Insurance and theft

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
AlexB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Insurance and theft

Post by AlexB »

For what it is worth, I recently had an IFor Williams livestock trailer stolen. From the poor cctv footage (it was at the limit of range and at night) it took 5 minutes to remove wheel clamp and hitch lock and take enough wall down to lift the gate chain over the post, hitch up and drive off. Anyone gets offered a DP120 10ft, please let me know and we can compare serial numbers

Anyway, on investigation of my insurance, it transpired that I wasn't if it wasn't hitched up.
My tractor insurance was KGM via Rowett of St Austell £136 for full agri use, myself, plus wife and daughter to drive

I checked with NFU to insure my replacement trailer and found out that they would only insure on the back of a tractor policy

Cut a long story short, the Dexta is now costing me £100.95, including all trailers and implements hitched or unhitched, anywhere in UK.

Lesson learned. Thought I would share

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Insurance and theft

Post by Jerry Coles »

Similar! I had Ifor Williams P6e and a P7e trailers stolen from my field in the summer. My insurers wen't interested as I didn't have a lock on them. As you say it takes a matter of a few minutes for a knowledgeable thief to cut off a hitch lock or wheel clamp. They cut through the wire rope restrainer holding my gate onto the pins (some hours beforehand!) lifted and then pushed back the gate into the hedge damaging the latch while the other thief had driven off, turned round, then stop, hitch up and gone in seconds. Well know local thief who has served time for theft, firearms and drugs offences.
If anyone has been offered either of the two types of trailer please let me know. :) Bath, Somerset area.
Police know him, know he did it but insufficient evidence!!!
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's