60 farm fordson major diesel

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
christojo
True Blue

Re: 60 farm fordson major diesel

Post by christojo »

Thanks again. I found another photo for the other oil filter. I put more photos up. I’m not sure where the lines will go too. Any help appreciated. The regulator does mount at back of air filter. Thanks. I’m still waiting for parts to come and still no parts from original owner. I’m thinking I might just buy a new dynamo with pulley. Does anyone have a photo or part number of dynamo? And would this tractor have a 4 or 2 blade fan? And would anyone have a photo o the timing cover breather thing. ( photo of thing with a tin can on top) Or can we buy them as well on line.
Thanks again
Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The extra filter I think sits between the tank and lift pump, from there on it's the std. arrangement. The dynamo is a Lucas C39 type, but if you look for Fordson dynamo you should find a suitable one. The fan was 17" in diameter, if you're in a hot area I recommend a four bladed one (two two bladed fans bolted one on top of the other), but a two bladed fan will be fine in lower temperatures. Breathers are available, but there are two kinds, yours is the early one and this is what it should look like. (this isn't an original fan)
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks Sandy.
I’ll check online for parts
Dave

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi, I’m trying to find out if my regulator is a 11amp or 22amp as apparently there are 2 dynamos. How do you know? The only writing is on the top of cover. I put photo on link. It says. ( LUCUS ENGLAND VOLTAGE REGULATOR )
A1/ A / F / D / E
I’m guessing the letters are for where wires go? It has 5 terminals at bottom.
Thanks in advance
Dave

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi, I found codes on side off regulator: RB106/2 37206J12V 5 59 E27N 10505F. On line says it’s 22amp. Can someone confirm thanks. I put photo up on link.
Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The dynamos up to 1962 were Lucas C39 variants, with screw terminals, from 1962 they used the C40 variants, with spade terminals and a higher output. So you need a C39 with screw terminals, if you can find one sold as a Fordson one you'll ensure it's the right kind. If you need them I'll get pics of ours as we have both kinds. A1 A F D E are the terminals, to get this right we need the early Power Major wiring diagram which is not one I've found so far, but the Diesel Major diagram will do for some of it, as will the later diagram with the sealed regulator (in that instruction book I sent you earlier).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi, apparently you can tell the difference in the 2 dynamos. The 11amp is a closed back and the 22amp is a vented back. I sent the numbers on regulator to a tractor place and they also said that it is compatible with the 22amp. Hey Sandy, interested to see if the numbers on your regulator are the same and if back of regulator is sealed or vented.
I have sourced most the parts I need to get her going, I’ve been cleaning the fuel filters and will probably give the petrol tank a good clean on the weekend or do you think the fuel filters are capable of doing the job. What’s the best diesel oil to put in? I’m thinking of running it with old oil just to loosen it up and then dump and change.
Thanks again guys.
Dave

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Dave, i certainly wouldn't hurt to give the tank a good clean, even if you just take the tap out of the bottom and drain any crud out that may be in there. There should be a little gauze filter on the tap that you can clean (or replace if its disintegrated). I use 15w/30 mineral oil in mine, its a multifarm oil, i was told never to use a synthetic oil in them. As for starting it on the old oil, depends when it was last run, if it hasn't been too many years and your'e confident no water has got in it, then you can start it and warm the engine up, this will make it easier to drain the old oil
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Definitely clean the fuel tank, it's not at all easy but totally necessary if you want you fuel filters to survive the full 600 hours they're meant to, you shouldn't find anything else than bare metal in there once it's clean. Use ordinary diesel. I would change it but if you warm the old oil up it will flow better (loosen the drain plug but don't remove it in order to remove most of the water before you run, tighten it up again to avoid air being sucked in while running), allow at least overnight draining before you refit the drain plug to ensure all the old stuff is out; always use mineral oil as synthetic is not thick enough. You need to use a closed dynamo to keep the dirt out, unfortunately our regulators are inside the dash (Diesel Major and Dexta style) and the only one exposed is the sealed type with four terminals (Lucas RB108) which is too late for you. Just in case it's of any use, Billy's dynamo is a C39PV2 (too early, this one dates to January 56, but has the early petroleum jelly type lubricator for the bush) and Davie's one is a C40A (too late, as it has spade terminals and dates from May 63). If you can find a dynamo approximately the same age as your tractor it should be right as long as it's completely enclosed.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks again guys,
Does anyone know the size of the crank pulley nut and torque? 85-90 ft pounds. I have put the welded timing cover on and need to fit the harmonic balancer. Fan and pulley have arrived and one of the diesel pump filters and oil filter. I ended up buying all new radiator hoses and thermostat. I have an old Holden HT sitting in the yard, so I have taken the old dynamo (generator) out of it with matching regulator. I will try and set this up this week. Still waiting for bottom oil bath for air filter.
Slowly but surely
Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think it's a 2" spanner, you could also use a bar. There's no torque setting, just get it nice and tight. Good you've got more bits.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi Sandy,
I tried putting photos up. Am I suppose to do 1 photo at a time or the way I did?
I have put a couple more photos up of things on the left hand side of tractor. Near dynamo. One just looks like a fuel switch ( what position should this be in? And the other behind dynamo looks like it has a thread on it, maybe oil pressure. Any help

Thanks Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

For the pics you can do as many as you like (I think I did more than 20 a few times with Billy's mudguard repair viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8339), you can then select "Hotlink for forums" and copy that in to your post, you'll then have the pics visible here.
The cock below the dynamo is for draining the block coolant, if it's parallel with the outlet it will be closed; and the other one is the oil pressure switch for the green warning light in the temp gauge. The fan belt should deflect 1/2" between the fan and dynamo.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi, just wondering if this 1960 diesel fordson tractor is supposed to have a coil or fuse box. And where would they be?
Worked photos out thanks
Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I can't see the last two pics, there are no fuses on any Major and no coil on a diesel one either. The COIL terminal on the ignition switch goes to the starter switch and then to the solenoid, also powering the warning lights.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

It is a photo of back of ignition switch. And wiring diagram you sent me. I put photos up in all revelent boxes. So you don’t have to use link. Sandy let me know if the photos appear thanks. Also does the oil sender have a tube that goes to gauge or is it just electric wire.
Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I still don't see the ignition switch and wiring diagram pics, you also need to select a different expiry time, so that the pics last a bit longer. You do need the link. The previous four pics are still fine.
It's a wire for the oil pressure switch.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Trying again for photos. Photo of ignition switch. Where should the ignition wire from generator go? Should I also put a wire to battery from switch? Is the button under gauges just a horn? The lever bottom beside choke, what is it used for?
Thanks again. Hopefully fixed photos Sandy.
Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The pics are visible but a bit small on here, I think you used the "thumbnail for forums", which means it's not full size. The dynamo is controlled by the regulator, the warning light is connected to terminal D and Batt on the dynamo and ignition switch respectively. Batt is connected to the negative battery lead at the solenoid connector. The button on the upper dash is the horn button. I'm not too sure what you mean about the choke on spark ignition Major's, on diesel ones it's the stop control, you pull it out to stop the engine, and it should hold out unless you push it back in.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks Sandy,
I’m thinking lever is a decompression lever. Hope to hook diesel filter up this week end and maybe radiator and hoses.
Thanks again
Dave

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Dave
The lever in the last pic is the transmission HI/LO shift
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't think you have a decompressor, it's an optional lever on the front of the rocker cover.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks John and Sandy,
I made some progress this week end. I cleaned the diesel filters and replaced filters. Radiator is put back in place with new hoses, cap and thermostat. I still need to hook up lines to diesel filters to pump. Air filter top is sorted. I need to find a oil bath for bottom of it. I am trying to sort out the exhaust and try and get a bend made so it doesn’t hit the bonnet. And still trying to find a second hand tyre for back. Hopefully will try to start in a couple of weeks.
Thank again
Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looking good. Try opening the gap in the exhaust elbow carefully so you can remove the bottom of the Yuba spark arrestor (another Australian feature), you don't need to have that fixed for a start although you might get a bit of a shock as it fires up, as a straight exhaust is loud. Look around for original copper fuel lines (or make them yourself) as they will work better. There are new oil bath bowls, but better to get a good second hand one. As for the tyre you can still try a start, just don't drive around until you have the tyre. Fill the radiator with good etylene glycol coolant (ensure it's anti corrosion coolant). The filters are looking great, if you could clean the rest of your Major you'll have a superb finish, here's what Billy looked like and looks like.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks,
I have put a heap of WD40 around the elbow of exhaust but it isn’t budging. If I can’t get something made to go over the piece stuck in the elbow, I’m thinking of cutting down the pipe where the gap is to split it. Unfortunately if I go straight up from elbow it hits the bonnet ( the bonnet has a big dent and worn through from pipe hitting it ) I couldn’t fit the bonnet on without removing the exhaust. Very bodgy job on exhaust :lol: :lol
Thanks
Dave