60 farm fordson major diesel

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
christojo
True Blue

60 farm fordson major diesel

Post by christojo »

Hi guys again from Australia. I restored a 54 petrol kero “Fordson major” with old post hole digger on front with help from this forum quite a few years back. Call me crazy but I have picked up a (60 Farm fordson major diesel) which is going to need a bit of work. It seems to be missing a bit of gear (fan, fan belt, wiring, key, alternator and brackets, front seal ) and the timing cover seems to be damaged and 1 tyre and tube is cactus. I’m not sure what else is missing as I am not familiar with the diesel. My question: can the damaged timing cover be welded? Or better to buy a decent second hand one? Am I able to put photos up of the bits I have to see if I am missing any more bits?
Thanks in advance
Dave
Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: 67 farm fordson major diesel

Post by Billy26F5 »

For pics try this:
viewtopic.php?p=53955#p53955
I doubt it will be 67, probably 57 but the serial number will tell that. The timing cover is aluminium, so I wouldn't recommend welding it unless you know about it very well. As for missing bits we'll need the pics to confirm this.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

You can solder it. But don't know if it is strong enough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XEoCDLy-s0 (dutch video)

Could you please show us a picture from the emblem on the side of the hood to tell us wether it is a original Farm Major. And as Sandy say some casting codes will tell us a lot.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

christojo
True Blue

Re: 60 farm fordson major diesel

Post by christojo »

Hi guys, I have put up photos to see the tractor and boxes of bits which came with it. The tractor with out bonnet on and buckets of bits is the farm fordson major. I know a good aluminium welder so will try to repair timing cover first.
Enjoy Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It's a bit difficult to tell if everything is there or not, Major's use dynamo's, not alternator's, so don't loose the regulator. It does look like a Farm Major, which is unique to Australia; it's a Major Mk2 with Power Major instruments and styling (as far as I know, which in this case is not much).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

It has the original diesel filter but think I will keep the cheap plastic one on it until I get it fired up. So It looks like I am missing a dynamo also, buggar. I will add a couple more photos to link of bits I’m not sure are their. Thanks Sandy and Henk
I will try and find engine number as well.
Thanks again Dave
Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Engine no: 573243 found on top of starter. Any ideas on what year.
Thanks Dave
Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

I’m thinking there is a 1 in the front of the engine number. So thinking 60 model. If anyone can confirm, I will change the post to suit.
Thanks Dave
Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That sounds odd for a 60 number to be behind the starter, look beneath injector no. 1 too. 1573243 is late September 1960. I recommend you refit the original filter and fit a new element in it before you even try to start it. You seem to be missing the core plug on the tachometer drive unit. Your block was cast on the 19 May 1960 (F19D), and you have a non original key or button starter in place of the original lever operated one. I recommend you change the engine oil and filter too before you start the engine.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

The hood has the right emblem for a Farmer Major.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

So it is a 1960. Thanks guys. I pick up the welded timing cover tomorrow and when front seal and gasket comes I will clean up and put on. I contacted the fellow I got the tractor off and he is going to try find the missing bits. Fingers crossed. I couldn’t find a number under no 1 injector. The cast number above dynamo is f13c.
Thanks again
Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

F13C is 13 May 1959. Try and find other casting codes to confirm the age of the parts, looks like the block sat in the spares department at Dagenham for quite a time, which is not common (but perfectly possible, Billy's front wheels are 7 years older than him).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi,
I have taken more photos. There is more casting on head ( DDN and F2X ) there is also a casting number on the front under radiator ( F280 ). I have also photos of the spare bits for air filter which I can’t quite figure out ( I’m assuming there is more bits missing. If someone could help me out that would be great )
I have had the timing cover welded but still waiting for oil seal and gasket to arrive. There seems to be a spare oil filter in spare parts but it is different to the one on tractor.I am in the process of cleaning up the original diesel filter fo refitment also planning on just seeing if it turns over tomorrow to see if diesel pump is working. Fellow I bought the tractor off is still looking for bits for me but know luck yet. Also what size end for tachometer as there seems to be different sizes. And is there a cover on the end of tacho gear that covers the hole?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The codes on RH side of the head are part numbers, the head casting code will be between the rocker cover and manifolds somewhere. The front casting will probably be F28C (28 May 1959) as O wasn't used. If you clean it it should show up better, look for more codes too. Good looking weld on the timing cover. This extra filter is non original as far as I can tell, it looks more like a second fuel filter though. Ensure the original fuel filter is totally clean and you fit a suitable new element to it (originally it took the AC FF23 element, but that is only available second hand as new old stock). Remember to bleed the fuel system thoroughly, try pressing the excess fuel button and then pulling the stop lever to the stop position and see if it moves nicely. The tachometer drive unit needs a core plug that matches the size of the hole. As for the cable you need one for a clockwise tachometer for a Power Major and a better pic of the tachometer would show if it's a Smiths or AC one (I think it's a Smiths one but I need to see it from closer to be sure). The small bowl with a tin on it is the breather for the timing cover, you'll need the upper part which has the filter mesh in it, it needs oil up to the mark and similar attention as the air filter; the clip and mesh are original but the bowl, plastic and deflector I've never seen, and I would say they're wrong. The radiator cap will need sorting but it should do for now.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

If your front pulley has a groove worn in it from the old seal, fit the new seal in a slightly different position from the old one, leave it a couple of mm from being fully pushed into the housing so the new seal runs on a different part of the pulley and not in the worn groove. This is why alot of major engines leak at the front pulley
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Having looked at more things it seems Farm Major's did have dual fuel filters, but I don't think they would be like that (not too sure about this).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks for the information guys. I just checked the tacho gauge, it is a smiths. the cast on head is F2/7C
I’m guessing there is some sort of Walsh plug at back of tacho gear?
Also, is the ignition key a standed thing you can buy without machining or better to buy whole switch?
I still haven’t received the fan and dynamo from bloke I bought it off, is there a way I can hot wire the starter without dynamo or key so I can check if diesel pump works. ( so basically turn it over )
Thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Dave, you should have 2 small wires going to the starter, one goes to the solenoid and the other comes from the ignition swith. Run a live wire direct from the battery to the starter in place of the one from the ignition switch and you should be good to go. Not sure about a replacement key for your original swith, Sandy may be able to help you with that one
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Some nice pics there. The head casting code is F27C (27 May 1959) with the pattern screw between the 2 and the 7. It is indeed a core plug that is needed on the Tachometer drive unit, the tachometer cable you need is part no. E1ADDN-17365B.
I don't think you can get a separate key, ask the previous owner for it, if not you could dismantle the switch and take it to a key maker who might be able to make you a new one. As for turning over take a wire from the battery negative pole to the solenoid terminal that goes to the ignition switch COIL terminal and it should turn over, if it starts don't let it run for long as you don't have any coolant in it yet.
Here's the wiring diagram, it's the same for the starting circuit but not the charging one (you have the early five terminal regulator instead of the later four terminal sealed one).
https://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ffcn ... _kroes.pdf
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Sorry chaps, i should have read the post more thoroughly, i thought it was a diesel! Ignore my starter wiring and follow Sandy's
John

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Just one cautionary tale about the first startup of an old major that hadn't run in a long time, and no, it wasn't me! A mate bought one and decided to put a battery on it as soon as he got it home. It turned over first time, then fired up, then sucked all the water that had got into the oil bath filter straight into the engine. Blew part of the head gasket out of the side and bent a con rod. He was not amused!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Dave's air filter is in bits, so no worries about that. The Farm Major wiring is the same as the Power Major, in Dave's case the type with the early regulator (the same as used in the early days), and the point about it being different is that Dave doesn't have the original lever operated starter.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks again guys. I have put more photos up of spares. The little blue box in spares looks like it fits on the back of the regulator. I haven’t worked out where the regulator bolts up. Any ideas? I think I worked out the air filter in a video on link but not sure if the plastic cone will sit small end down or big end down. I’m thinking big end down as it seems to fit better without gaps Looks like I am missing the bottom oil bath of air filter but have the clamp. Bottom of air filter measures 160mm. The key in my 54 fordson works in the farm major ignition switch, so I’m guessing 1 key fits all.
Thanks for the link Sandy, that will come in handy.
Thanks again guys
Dave

Last edited by christojo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If the 54 key works that's very good as there are several. The box for the regulator is to keep it clean, the later sealed one is left in the open dirt. It mounts on that projection on the back of the air filter. I don't know that type of pre cleaner, looks pretty good but I don't know how it's meant to go. You are missing the bowl of the air filter, the mesh element goes between it and the body of the air filter.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

The filter bowl goes big end down, it's a dust trap pre-filter and meant to be emptied daily in dusty conditions. Not sure if its original to the farm major, but a very good idea in dry, dusty conditions. They normally have a wing nut on the top so you don't need a spanner to empty it
John