Annotating Drawings - Moved from BensDexta3

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Ben,

How are you able to add the red remarks on the drawings that you have posted.? The software which I use does'nt allow me to add notes to photos etc.

I would be gratefull for any details you could give me.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Annotating photos etc

Post by Bensdexta »

Tubal Cain wrote:How are you able to add the red remarks on the drawings that you have posted.? The software which I use doesn't allow me to add notes to photos etc.
Gerald,
I use Microsoft Office Powerpoint as follows: Import 'image' into a slide, add 'text box', 'shapes' (eg lines arrows circle etc) as req'd, <cntrl A> to select all objects on slide, then 'arrange' 'group' to form a single object, then right click on grouped object > 'save as picture' jpg, png etc whatever you want.

I can email you a .ppt to play with if you wish but you'll need Powerpoint to edit it.

If you don't have 'Office' I believe there is a free-bee clone of it probably find it with google.
All the best,
Ben

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Ben,

Thanks for your response, I do have MS office and I am almost certain that I have power point. As I'm no longer lecturing or giving presentations I have never bothered to use it!

However I will give it a try, I wish to annotate the Dexta workshop and spare parts drawings with my own notes for future ease of reference.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Tubal Cain wrote:However I will give it a try, I wish to annotate the Dexta workshop and spare parts drawings with my own notes for future ease of reference.
Gerald,
Is it just the diagrams you wish to annotate?
That may work but you will need to do it for each full diagram not part diag as I did it. OK so long as you don't lose too much resolution. A big screen will help.

If you send me an example of what you wish to achieve I will try to think if there's a more convenient way. Maybe other folk can too :wink:

Have you seen the Vugot.com website? Click on the Fordson link, >Dexta etc. The parts list diags are electronically linked to the part number and description - same info as in the paper version but handy nonetheless. Talking to Vugot, I believe this is part of the New Holland database. I hadn't realised but NH do in fact still stock quite alot of Fordson parts. It would be great if we could get hold of this dataabase, then annotations could be added in, eg below the pns. Might be worth a phone call to Dave @ Vugot a v helpful guy.

BTW is there an electronic version of the Workshop manual & Parts list, eg by scanning with optical char recognition, rather than just as a scanned image?
Look forward to hearing how you get on,
Ben

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Gerald,

First, let's try with what you have already got.
{a} Get the picture or diagram 'on screen' full screen size.
{b} Hold down the 'Shift' key and press the 'Prnt Scrn' key.
{c} Click 'Start', 'All Programs', 'Accessories' and 'Paint'.
{d} Select 'Edit' and 'Paste'.
You now have a copy of your screen (diagram) that you can edit, draw on, add arrows, text etc. then 'save as'.

If you want a good, free software suite to rival office though (remember it will take up disc space), follow this link...
http://www.openoffice.org/

Mike

Bensdexta
True Blue

Annotating Diagrams with Paint, OpenOffice etc

Post by Bensdexta »

Mike,
Thanks for pointing that out. 'Paint' does indeed give some basic annotating facilities.

'Impress' seems to be the OpenOffice equivalent of Powerpoint. How similar they are I don't know.
All the best,
Ben

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Mike,

Thanks for your advice when I get some spare time I will have a go.

Gerald

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

The above 7 posts have been extracted from the Engine re-build thread, in the Dexta Forum, and moved here at the request of Ben.

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

Tmac
True Blue

Try this little photo program "It is free"

Post by Tmac »

Ifran View. I use it most of the time and it will do what you want.
I use it on all my photos.

http://www.irfanview.net/

Check it out here and get the free down load.
Its small to, easy to use. Get the plugins to.