Ieper salient

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Ieper salient

Post by henk »

I’ve been biking at Ieper Belgium for a few day’s. This was one of the scenery’s from the great war. I always wanted to visit the town and see the ceremony of the last post at the Menengate.

Ieper is a lovely town. It was completely destroyed. There was nothing left than ruins and mud. Because before the ware the houses were all documented they could rebuild every thing according the old situation. They have done a great job.

Thousands of soldiers on both sides were kilt. Everywhere you see the cemetery’s. Some times in the middle of a field or behind a farm. We visit a few of them. British as German. The largest of the Commonwealth is named Tyne Cot and counts nearly 12000 graves. Only 3800 are know by name. 35000 names of missing persons are written in the round wall. The rest about 55000 are written in the walls of the Menengate. The German cemetery counts 23000 graves, but is much smaller and not so well preserved. At a few stones is written, died in honour of the fatherland. Make one think about the absurd situation that men were dieing for a few yards of mud. Just because some general told them to attack. At Christmas eve the were smoking cigarettes together and the day after they would kill each others.

From 1921 on the fire brigade is making the ceremony every night at eight. This week the Australians were over there to recommend the fallen men. I don’t know why this time of year. It was crowdie at the Menengate. In wintertime there are a few people to witness the ceremony. School kids are having lesions about the great war because at the first of may is the day of labour and peace. You could find them every were. At museum, cemeteries and monuments. They were teaching each other about the history. A good thing to do.

If you want to see some pictures follow the link.
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=IDLEEO7R
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Henk,
The pictures were exquisite, I've never seen a military cemetery where there are flowers on every grave. I was just wondering, who maintains all the cemeteries? It has to take a long time to keep them manicured like they are. Great pictures again Henk.

I would take up bicycling if I lived in flat country like you do, I live in the eastern part of Kentucky, and there is not a lot of flat land.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Ieper salient

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Hi Henk, 25th of April is "ANZAC Day" (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) that is why you saw New Zealanders and Australiains at various ceremonys around Europe and especially at Gallipoli.(25 April 1915 Allied troops landed on the Gallipoli peninsula, unsuccesfully with large loss of life.)In New Zealand and Australia, this is a public holiday to remember all soldiers that have died in various wars that we have been involved in, especially WW1 and WW2. I hope that answers your question, Cheers TSG.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Henk,
Great pictures as usual! I think that every person who calls for war should be first made to visit one of these places. My "grand father" is on there somewhere.

I have visited some of the ones in Holland around Arnhem because of my own families involvement and I find them sad but very peaceful places. As if the horror of all those deaths has somehow cleansed that small place of the need to fight.

We also have a huge place for the US forces on a hill in Cambridgeshire around forty miles from me.

We know the place you visited as Ypres. Ann has visited the memorial at Albert with parties of school children from her school at Swaffham.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk

Post by henk »

Mark,
There were four people working day in and out to keep the cemetery neat. There was a man working with a "dremel". He was writing the names again in the stones on the great bow. He had done about 25 percent. The stone is soft and the writing is fading after a lot of years. At the Menengate this was already done. What a job. :stress:
The first day we biked at the hills. It was heavy as you can see. Janneke an my sister in-law had to walk. I had to take a picture of it, so I could come of the bike to. My brother managed to climb up by bike.

Thank you for your explanation The Swanndri Guy. The host from the B&B told us but I did not understand it. Now I see why.
By the way, is anyone is planning to visit this town and needs a place to sleep. Go over there. The couple was giving two hundred percent hospitality and makes it a home to you.

Brian, I was thinking there must be not one family in England who hasn’t have a relative lying on one of them fields.

I was told you pronounce Ieper as wiper, like on a car screen. There were many names that could not been pronounced properly. At Poperingen there was the Talbot house. The white building with the chapel. This village was called just Pop.
Kind regards, Henk

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Henk,
It makes me very happy, that even after 95 years our fallen hero's, from many nations, resting places are still being cared for. That is amazing!! My Granddaddy fought in this war with many of my Great Uncles. Sadly in just a little over 20 years latter it would have to be fought again. My Dad fought in the next world war, WWII, and he now rests in peace on our little farm. He would never talk much about what he went through only that it was necessary that we help the European people win back there freedom from tyranny.
All nations must learn from their pasts mistakes, and not repeat them, and let bygones be bygones looking ahead to what the future brings with peaceful thoughts in our minds and hearts.
I wish I could thank these wonderful people personally that take care of the graves, and what it means to all of us over here in America.
If you ever go back please tell them how much we appreciate their appreciation of our fallen soldiers resting places.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

henk

Post by henk »

Well spoken Mark.
Kind regards, Henk

henk

Post by henk »

Just been to our yearly national commemoration of WO II.

Not that I have relatives that had fought during that time, nor have I any lost in my family. I did not experience any war and always lived my live in peace.

In our area there has been hard fighting during the beginning and the end of the war. In fact when I look out of my window I can see the field were many Scottish and Canadian soldiers has found there grave. A lot of man from the Scottish Lowland division that had survived the war came here every year at November for the commemoration of there friends on this battlefield. My parents were one of the many who gave those man a place to stay during these trips. I have talked a lot with them and realised that also the survivors gave there lives. Many of them suffers many years because of what they have witnessed during those day’s.

The fact that these were young man from other country’s who would give there lives for our freedom makes me want to be present twice a year for the ceremonies. One at the fourth of may and one at November.
Kind regards, Henk

patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Belgium /Germany

Post by patch »

Very interesting pictures and comments.

I worked for a guy from Belgium that was 12 years old when the Germans came through. He told me about building a coffin to bury both his younger sister and brother in the one coffin.

Now my sister's husband works for a German. Count Arco www.aacusa.com/jim.html. The count is a grandson of King Ludwig.

All of my family either picked cotton by hand or cut logs with a cross cut saw. Times sure do change. My Dad was in WWII.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought.
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi