Renovating Selene Super Major -61

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Renovating Selene Super Major -61

Post by guduell »

It is time to start making it running again. The tractor is rather worn in some parts but ok in other. The front axle has the short drive shaft broken and removed. For this i have a replacing shaft. In Sweden we usually like to have a cabin, good when rain and cold. But it is in the way when working on it (I guess you do not say screwing which would be the direct translation)

The original engine was partly disassembled and had got rain in it. For parts i have a late truck engine with FL-top. I quick noticed that the hole for the primary fuel pump was bigger.

It was easy to disassemble the rest, except the crank, when still on the tractor.

The cogwheels on the camshaft was loose, Brian asked about this in an old thread. Is it a sign of something?

Here both engines are taken apart and next weekend i will try to measure what is good and not.

The block seem ok with some rust on the top flange for the cylinder o-rings, the original crank is rusty and the camshaft seem worn.

The truck engine seems in a good shape but one issue is the one bolt camshaft. The front mount plate does not fit.

Should I try to use the original block with inner parts from the tractor motor? Then i need a new front plate.

Should i use the truck block (and save the original one for the future :-) )? I still need a new front plate for the cam.

Should i reuse the springs in the FL-top, i understand they are stronger for higher revs, or use springs, valves etc. from a renovating kit?

Should i regrind the truck camshaft to tractor spec?

If the original camshaft is ok things are easier. But still need to think about strong valve springs.

What do you, with your experience, think?

(Edited some errors)
1958 Major
1953-59 mix with backhoe Hymas type 3 (project)
1961Selene 4wd (project)

Steven B
True Blue

Re: Renovating Selene Super Major -61

Post by Steven B »

Hi Guduell

The engine in your tractor is the pre-minimec where as your truck engine is the later type. This truck engine will be identical to the NPM engine except for:

Engine plate
Brake vacuum pump (if fitted)
Injector pump calibration and delivery valves.
Fuel lift pump will be most likely mounted on the injector pump.

All internals such and crank and camshaft are shared. I used a crank and camshaft from a petrol truck in a Super Major and it makes lots of power.

I would use the truck engine complete but you may need to change to a later type engine plate. Just compare them. You can fit the early injector pump to this engine. If you use the truck pump it may not perform well pulling heavy loads that require constant speed such as a ploughing. The truck engine is rated at about 70hp at 2400 RPM but the torque curve is not flat like a tractor's. If the engine had a vacuum pump fitted then the lift pump will be mounted on the side of the injector pump. If you are going to use the truck minimec and you intend removing this brake pump you will need to make a bracket for the rear of the pump to mount to the engine. You can actually use the vacuum pump front plate if you wish. You can blank off the lift pump on the minimec and mount a later lift pump to the block. If you blank off the aperture in the block and use the pump mounted on the minimec you will also have to blank off the oil return hole on the block with a screw and fiber washer. This hole is on the engine block lift pump pad.

I see no reason why you cannot use the truck internals in your tractor engine but as you said you may still need a new front plate.

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

Thank you for the answer! Should have asked first then i i only had needed tear down to the front plate and oilpan.

Yes that seem a good solution. Most of the tractor externals where mounted on the truck engine so i do only have the tractor vacuum pump, inlet, exhaust and oilpan(?). I guess the previous owner gave up when realising a new front plate was needed.

Then i guess i should clean, measure, replace the seals and reassemble. Find a front plate and make some adapter for the whole of the lift pump. Sounds good.

On some old petrol cars you adjust the fuel pump pressure with pads between pump and block. Would a one or two mm metalplate, to cover bigger hole in the truck block, disturb the pressure from the lift pump? If not i could use the glass bowl pump form the tractor.

I am not sure what oil return hole you mean, but will check when back by the tractor in the weekend.

Thank you again! :D
1958 Major
1961Selene 4wd (project)

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

Finally got her running.
https://youtu.be/05wcaZG1AH0
1958 Major
1961Selene 4wd (project)

Wolfi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wolfi »

I am contacting you , because I have a conversation Kit from Selene and roadless also bought parts from Selene.
So, my hope is you can help me to find manuals, official paper, assembly instructions or something like that.
Only when I have this I get official Papers in Germany.
Hopefully you can help me or do you know someone, who I can contact.
Or can you find with the below numbers something in your system?

Best regards,
Wolfgang

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Hi wolfi,

I ve got your mail but i prefer to get the questions answered here.
For the paperwork: did you asked your local cnh dealer? You might get paperwork for the super major, but matbe that is fine to get it road registered.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Wolfi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wolfi »

Hi Matthias,
Thank you for your answer,
What do you mean with CNH dealer.
Thank you
Wolfgang

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

CNH stands for Case New Holland. They took over from Ford in the nineties.
If you look at the Roadless section in the FFCN you might find something (i think).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Wolfi,

Check the former FFCN site part https://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ffcn ... index.html click on tecnical information and search for the Roadless index.
Maybe theres some interesting documents for you. You can download them for free.

(and it's ment to they stay free. Also for therth partys)
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I