Fordson Selene

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson Selene

Post by Billy26F5 »

Does the pump struggle or give no pressure? You might need to reset the control linkage, but if you turn the pump by hand blocking the feed pipe you'll either find the pump becomes very difficult to turn or that it just keeps going, in which case you'll need to replace the drive gear key. Try doing a pressure test too, to see if the relief valve is ok. Some pics of what's happening would be helpful too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

could the unload valve be stuck ,

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

liam wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:38 am
could the unload valve be stuck ,
Very good point, one that I mentioned in other posts and strangely it never crossed my mind this time! The unloading valve controlls lifting, it often sticks preventing the hydraulics from working. Well worth looking at.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Gentlemen
Progress………
I changed the the Hydraulic ram cylinder as per fig 30 in the parts manual on page 74 from the donor tractor. This got the hydraulic system going. We are very happy with the results.
Arms in place
Roll bar in place
Wings mounted

Next tasks
Give the back wheels a brush down with the wire brush on the grinder
Install seat.
Prepare to split tractor to replace hand brake disc’s
Get steering box from donor tractor an install on Selene
Check what type of raised pto I have and see if it will fit.

This leads me to my next query
How do you tell the difference when it comes to Raised pros for super major v np super major. I know there is a difference but not what it is.

Any help would be appreciated
Jim

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Additional query
Is there official guidance on tyre size for fordson major tractor with Selene axle?
I would like to place as big as possible tyres on the back and what ever is appropriate for the front
Jim

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

The old style raised pto has a gear ratio to make the pto slower and have 540 at higher engine rpm. The newer style has a 1:1 gear ratio.

Just check whether in and out have the same number of revs when turning by hand and counting. Or count the number of teeth on the gears.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The NP raised PTO has a cover with four holes only and it's not round, this one is 1:1. The earlier raised PTO has a round cover with 8 holes (only 4 bolts) and it's round, this one is 1.33:1. I don't know which one you need, but you can tell from the PTO casting under the gearbox, if it's very big next to your Diesel Major it's the NP one, if it's the same as the Diesel Major it's the earlier one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Good evening all.
Status update.
Power Steering
Work on going on power steering. It’s going to take some time to get going with this as the man with the Lathe is busy.
Raised Pto
When disassembling the pro I got a hop out of the fact that the existing pto shaft was extended at on point by approximately 40mm. It took a few minutes to cop to the fact that the transmission for the 4ish was the difference. 😉
Four wheel drive axle
Prep started on tidying the king pin etc. this will be a difficult task.
Steering box
Steering box back in place and throttle repaired.

Cheers
Jim

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Banagher wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:13 pm
Good evening all.
Status update.
Power Steering
Work on going on power steering. It’s going to take some time to get going with this as the man with the Lathe is busy.
Raised Pto
When disassembling the pro I got a hop out of the fact that the existing pto shaft was extended at on point by approximately 40mm. It took a few minutes to cop to the fact that the transmission for the 4ish was the difference. 😉
Four wheel drive axle
Prep started on tidying the king pin etc. this will be a difficult task.
Steering box
Steering box back in place and throttle repaired.

Cheers
Jim
Jim, as for the front axle: I found there are parts available, but you need to look for a GMC part supplier. The axle it self is normally a Banjo axle. If you redo the seals on the inside you will need a special tool with 6 teeth to undo the hubs.

And for the powersteering: my selene doesn't have and it's ok to handle. All you need is the standard fordson drag link.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:54 am
The NP raised PTO has a cover with four holes only and it's not round, this one is 1:1. The earlier raised PTO has a round cover with 8 holes (only 4 bolts) and it's round, this one is 1.33:1. I don't know which one you need, but you can tell from the PTO casting under the gearbox, if it's very big next to your Diesel Major it's the NP one, if it's the same as the Diesel Major it's the earlier one.
Sandy
The identification of raised pto type is not quite that straightforward as there are both 1.3 and 1:1 units which have the 4 bolt cover for the output shaft. On the 1:1 the shaft sits lower than the earlier type and once you see them side by side you will see the difference. If you fit a 1.3:1 unit to a np you will struggle to achieve 540rpm at the shaft due to there being 2 reductions.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Roadless63 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:08 pm
there are both 1.3 and 1:1 units which have the 4 bolt cover for the output shaft.
I didn't know of any of those, I think I've only ever seen one NP raised PTO anyway, and it was on an Australian one (where lots of Major's have the raised PTO).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

They are not very common especially in the UK. We have a few fitted to tractors and some on the shelf. I have examples of each type.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could you post a pic of them? It will also help others in knowing what they have later on.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Status update.
Power Steering
Complete
Raised pto
Complete
Four wheel drive axle
Front member removed to be rebushed, remove broken studs from same
New drag link plus full set of seals and bushes ordered from Bowens in the UK for axle rebuild.
Diesel tank
Sand blast revealed holes in the bottom. Repair ongoing
Painting
Bonnet and nose cone painted
Tyres
Getting ready to order new set of tyres. Any suggestions on brands?

Jim

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Has anyone a part number for the shrouded thermostat that is required for a super major engine. I can’t lay my hands on one.
I am based in Ireland
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good stuff. I would personally try to find good second hand tyres as they'll be far cheaper than new ones, I tend to favour a tread like Billy but that's just me.
You want an AC TF2 (176ºF) or equivalent, there are no new ones from manufacturers but there are NOS ones on ebay often. You could look for a TF4 (186ºF) if you want to run slightly hotter, Thames Traders used it with the Major engine, although it was more usually the six than the four.
Sandy
ImageImageImage