Hi - Looking for some help and info please- re major project

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Great pictures, Mark!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

It's looking good mark, are you going to respray the whole tractor, or do you leave it in the original paint?

keep up the good work, and let us how the bonnet looks when you get one.

Arno
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Hello everyone

I have been very busy with lots of different things and not had any time to get onto here

We all rode to two local shows last saturday and sunday on the old tractors and we took the bbq :)

At the show on saturday they had a set of balancing ramps, the idea is you drive up one side on your tractor and try to get the ramps at the point of balancing where both ends of the ramp are off the ground, it looks easier than it is and requires great clutch and brake control.

Here is my 62 year old father having a go on the balancing ramps on my major, not the easiest tractor to do it on

My good friend Matt trying out my major

I could only managed to keep the ramps in the air for a few seconds on my major, the tractor of choice appeared to be fergie 20's whereby my dad and another man managed over 5 mins

We had two fantastic road runs to the shows and they were really good days out

Here is a picture of us all setting off to the second show on the sunday

from the front of picture - Fordson Dexta - Industrial MF 35 - my Major - Fergie 20 - Nuffield 4/60 - Mf 65 - David Brown 880 - Fergie 20 (on trailer) and International B250 out of shot

I have nearly finished my other 3 cylinder Massey Ferguson 35 but at the start of this week i have purchased this 3 cylinder Pekins MF 35 aswell, my fiance Jenny is developing more of an interest in the old tractors and she drove on of our petrol/tvo fergie 20's to the show on each day and she really enjoyed it. She really likes the fergie 20's, so i said i would keep a look out for one and buy her one so we could restore it, i wasnt going to buy her a petrol/tvo version but a diesel model, but cutting a long story short i have bought this mf 35 for her so we can restore it, i have checked as much as i can of it over throughly and bought it as a non runner with the injector pump suspected to be faulty.

It is a 3 cylinder perkins going by the serial number was made in 1962, its a single clutch non livedrive,original condition.

Pictured on day of collection after trailering it home

Look abit of an old wreck, but shes all there and i see great potential in her

Spent apparantly 4 months sitting in the corner of a field near an hedge

Once getting it back home i spent a good hour giving it a really good steaming off with the diesel heated pressure washer.

Once removing 45+ years of oil,grease,green growth,hay and grass she started to look alot better

With everything that is going on at the minute, i just want to hopefully get the tractor in a running state.

Myself and John spent a few hours the other day doing some investigative work to find the reasons why the tractor is not starting/running.

The tractor came with no battery, but after checking with a socket on the front on the crankshaft that the engine would turn over easily by hand and that all the wiring was ok and functioning we fitted a heavy duty battery, the starter operated and the engine wound over quickly putting out a little white smoke but did not fire up. i was told that i had recently, before it stopped working been fitted with two new fuel filters, there was no hand priming lever on the lift pump so i wondered if it needed air bleeding out of the fuel system, so with me operating the starter and winding her over John worked his way along the fuel

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Mark Nice to see you've been out on the major she looks good :D . just one thing though if you stopped messing with that other stuff that is not suposed to be in pictures on the fordson forum she'd be done by know :lol: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Nice game on on the balancing ramps.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Had one of the trailers behind my Major on saturday morning, we took down two trees and carted the timber back in the trailer. First tree was a nice dead ash tree which we felled with one of the saws and the second tree was a big dead oak, we got a chain around it and tied to the major so that it came over the right way, before i could get a saw going my uncle Nigel give it a pull with my major and ripped the tree straight out of the ground and over she came, no need for a saw, hows that for 6 cylinder power???

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Hello

A little update :)

I am very impressed with the new engine in my major, it starts very very easily and sounds lovely! The fuel usage seems to good to be true though, i filled her up before we went to them two shows, and i have driven her approx 40 miles and used it for several hours last saturday pulling our red trailer trailer, and she has only used 1/3 of a tank of diesel, thought she would of been more thirstier??? but then again she hasnt done much real work yet, so i may be speaking too soon.

Had no issues with the engine at all, but the 12v lucas starter motor struggles some times so that needs looking at, only on going issue with the tractor itself is the oil leak, which i simply havnt got around to splitting the tractor again.

Damn !!! i have just typed loads and now it has dissapeared !!! :(

I will try again

The red piece i have circled is where i am getting my oil leak from, im told the piece i can see when looking through the bellhousing is the end of the hi/low range shaft, apparantly this should have a cap or core plug like piece fitted, mine is missing and leaking oil.

I wont know again untill i split the tractor what the piece should look like, does this piece have a part number so i can order one of a new holland dealer??

A dog walk late saturday afternoon resulted in me getting our david brown out and coming home with a good load of timber for logs, will have to be put aside and used next winter, as it has only just been felled,is still living and full of moisture.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

I remember seeing a major about 5 years ago with a table made alongside the engine and forwards slightly of the bonnet, housing a sawblade and running off the belt pulley. I remember thinking what a very good idea, you could drive to where you want to cut logs and away you go. Our Mc Connel sawbenches are very good but they mount on the lift arms so you then cant tow a trailer at the same time.

Looking in the Tractor magazine today and there is a roadless major with a very similiar sawblade setup next to the engine. This has got me thinking again, we have a spare 38 inch blade/shaft and pulley off my uncles old sawbench which he says i can use, so i need to see if i can get a frame made so i can make a very useable sawbench, would like it bolted on so it can be removed as need be. Would be a handy additional to the bit of log sawing we do.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi was wondering if you where still around hows the big 6 going :) . That kind of saw bench you talk about is very popular in Canada.
there are loads of tractors found in sales with them and a few turn up in sales less tractor. yes it would work good bolted to the front of a major and driven off the belt pulley.
like most things though in the U.K health and safety would probably c$@p if its not gaurded properly.
Regards Robert.
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

Re. Threads in Major.

All threads in cast iron are UNC. The rest UNC or UNF except Lucas starter for (np) Super.

Have You planned any support to the rear axle? I mean when You have made so good job, it should not be nice to have same problems as in clutch thread.

Here you can see the latest version of my log machine. My max length is only 600 mm and 300 mm max dia. The machine is splitting the cut log piece automatically in 6 pieces and transporting them with the 3,2 meter band.

http://www.japa.fi/en/index.php/klapiko ... a-700.html
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466

fergusont20
True Blue

Re: Hi - Looking for some help and info please- re major pro

Post by fergusont20 »

Here is a picture of my 6 Pot Major from last saturday. I bought the International 634 shown in the background, and used my Mjaor to tow the 2.9 Tonne beast home

JC

Post by JC »

I'm glad to hear that the 6-cylinder is still doing a good job for you.
It's always a good idea to have something to tow those "Cornbinders" around with :lol:

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Unfortunantly due to personal issues i need to sell this tractor.

Located near burton on trent in staffordshire UK. If anyone wishes to discuss please ring me on 07530 858 991

Thanks

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

2195 ono. Please contact me for more info. 07530 858 991

Thanks