Project: Super Major(with emphasis on "Super":)

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Dom,
If your looking for strength, you can get a grade 8 bolt a few sizes to big and then let the machinist make them to the size you need.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Well, I'll post here now and then, the wiki is completed now with what I had in pictures worth showing and a couple of video clips :)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Dom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dom »

Thanks Mark

Not sure if they have the same bolts grading here but I get your drift and I'll sort it out. Thanks mate.

Regards........Dom

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Well, I've updated a little in the wiki :)
It's obvious that I need more parts... like the return springs in the brake actuators, and they seem hard to come by in sweden :/ any ideas anyone?
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Mark wrote:Foxen,
Everything looks good. Your dad's mate does very good work as well.
I only have one question...are you going to take all those parts back off to get everything that's not painted, painted? I'd be worried that I'd scratch all the good painted parts putting them on before I painted the tractor housing.
All in all it will be a great tractor when you get done. :)
Dad got to me about the "paint your tractor blue" ;)
The "it looks like it has scabs" part took and painting the rest is on the way...

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Well, a few more pictures have been added and I've re-arranged the article, putting recent updates up top so you won't have to scroll that far down :)

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

A few more pictures uploaded...

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

It's starting to look like a tractor again by now, do have a look and leave comments please :)

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... Super.html

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Foxen,

No doubt your doing a thoroughly job.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Thank you, doing a thorough job will pay off in the end... :)

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

The project has not stopped up even if it may seem like it, I just haven't had the time or felt like updating anything, I've taken a thorough load of pictures of the progress tho and one day when I feel up to the task I will get on with the updating again, so far I've mounted the rear wings and the cab supports, cut new floorboards out of aluminium sheet(the cross-ribbed kind) and mounted them, removed the front axle, side rails and tombstone, de-rusted the side rails and the front axle and painted them with primer and that's about as far as I've gotten, unless the re-modeling of my hi-lo shifter counts...

Today(or yesterday it probably is as it's now past midnight), I got a package containing what I'd call "hardcore tractor pr0n" since the contents isn't readily available in sweden :D A repro clockwise tractormeter and a tacho cable! Yay! :lol:

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I've re-modeled the engine heater plumbing as well and drilled out the thermostat housing holes and re-threaded them M10 coarse instead as the 5/16 threads were in really bad shape, now it's bound to last for another 50 years... also found out that the temp sensor fitting in the cylinder head consists of a threaded plug that's screwed into the head(I tapped it M18x1.5 five months ago and part of it fell off), the sealant I used didn't quite like the big gap between the pipe fitting and the material in the head and developed a leak pretty quick so I decided to re-design the whole thing and as I took the pipe fitting out I began to suspect that the fitting for the temp sensor was just threaded into a bigger hole and cracked the last part of said fitting which revealed what I suspected... I measured the diameter and found it to be around 20.4-20.5 mm, the only two matching threads that I could think of are either 7/8-UNF or some withworth thread(which I think is very unlikely) and today I got a 7/8-UNF plug to try plugging the hole tomorrow...

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Well... Since I got a job now I have had to prioritize, and no1 is getting the tractor done, will have to do the wiki once I'm finished but in the meanwhile for those so inclined I have two Youtube clips for public display of one fresh looking Super Major :D

Yesterday evening, about 2 hours after the "just finished" test drive, got the lights working again after moving them one notch lower...
Notice the Tacho aswell, I'm not keen on having to replace burned out light bulbs so I've put LED's in my instruments instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAhYp92QuHU

And this one's from today, a little "from the outside perspective" action, my sister's holding the camera :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJyrDxZtl0

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Hmmm... No comments here? Doh...

Anyways, I have two pictures for you of the almost completed beast(only thing missing now is the rear working lights, two handles on the bonnet and something to clamp it down with)

First off in broad daylight: http://iloapp.b20power.com/data/_galler ... esized.jpg

And during night with the cozy lights on: http://iloapp.b20power.com/data/_galler ... esized.jpg

It's not as much a "Super Duper Major" as Brian put it as it is "Forest modified Super Major"... ;)

And here's a short video clip of the "premier" tour with the crane strapped on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T94Cy1PQbU