6D Power Major

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

6D Power Major

Post by BearCreek Majors »

I think I figured out how to deal with the front axle wishbone when installing a 6D in a Major.....you throw it out in the barn and put a row crop under it instead!

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: 6D Power Major

So this Power Major is one of the four tractors we drug home last summer, it was mostly an organ donor as the engine was partially disassembled and tight from sitting outside. The 6D is the 150 hp junkyard engine I picked up last fall, and the row crop I got from a real nice guy over in Minnesota a few weeks ago. Sat afternoon we drug the tractor in the shop, pulled off everything from the bell housing forward and set in the 6D. Sun we fab’ed up the frame rails and front engine mount, set the row crop under it and got enough parts on it that we could run it around the yard for a few minutes. Low range has a squeal to it and the hydraulics aren’t working, so we got quite a bit of work to do yet, and I planed on splitting it back apart to put heavier springs in the clutch yet. This weekend was just the fab up to see what else needs to be addressed.
Probably the first time this tractor has moved under its own power in 20 years or more.

Pat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIkuCrqZvEo

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

This is going to be a unique model.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Unusual looking beast Pat :P

Straight through stainless stack in the plan ??

Looking forward to seeing ongoing progress

Nice looking mill in the background too - what make ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

BearCreek Majors wrote:So this Power Major is one of the four tractors we drug home last summer, it was mostly an organ donor as the engine was partially disassembled and tight from sitting outside. The 6D is the 150 hp junkyard engine I picked up last fall, and the row crop I got from a real nice guy over in Minnesota a few weeks ago. Sat afternoon we drug the tractor in the shop, pulled off everything from the bell housing forward and set in the 6D. Sun we fab’ed up the frame rails and front engine mount, set the row crop under it and got enough parts on it that we could run it around the yard for a few minutes. Low range has a squeal to it and the hydraulics aren’t working, so we got quite a bit of work to do yet, and I planed on splitting it back apart to put heavier springs in the clutch yet. This weekend was just the fab up to see what else needs to be addressed.
Probably the first time this tractor has moved under its own power in 20 years or more.

Pat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIkuCrqZvEo
Love that Turbo whistle :clap:
Did she bolt straight up to the bell housing (SAE bolt pattern) or did she need modifying?
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hey guys, the motor slid right in and all of the bolt holes on the block lined up, but none of the oil pan bolts did. As I am getting the correct 590E put together for the County six, the 6D in it will be removed so I can use that oil pan. So while I was crawling around under the County on Sunday stealing part of the front engine mount I stuck my head up under the motor and noticed that oil pan has no bolts in it either………… :shock: Looks like I’ll be modifying the oil pan in the Power Major.
I’m trying to keep it looking as stock as possible so its getting the early style fuel pump with the glass bowl, the single fuel filter, the Fordson starter and Generator and anything else that will help to disguise it, But it will have a straight through stainless pipe!
It is smoking quite a bit but we have never had it up to temp yet, and I was told the Amish were using it on a saw mill, so it probably never got a workout. We plan on hooking it to a four bottom plow this spring to give it a good workout and see if this motor is any good. Hopefully I can keep the frontend planted to the ground.
Oehrick, the mill is a Gorton, made right here in Wisconsin. Years ago when OMC shut down the Trade Winds plant that I was working at some of the equipment went up for sale, Granny was not exactly happy that I gave some of my severance pay back to them But I have never regretted having that mill.

Pat

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Pat
Well how many months ago did I hint this would be getting built :lol: . I guess you don't know what a tractor with that front ends worth as a 4 cylinder, Your buddy that I phoned with the gas parts, told me what he sold one for completely restored, was a pretty good $ figure :wink: .

with those bolts in the bottom I have seen guys make a thin 1/8" or slightly over thick plate that covers the tractor bolt pattern and then has the motor bolt pattern in as well.I think they then use counter sunk bolts in the holes at the inside.

If the county had the shaft drive injector pump 6d in it that oil pan won't fit the 2700 series anyway, they are a completely different shape/ measurement in a few places :eyes: i was gonna make one fit mine :wink: .
You will have to be careful with the strength in that pan even with that plate in I have seen those pans break on the pulling track. you get flex because it is not ridged enough without the cast pan and extra support it gives.
Nice to hear her run again mine are coming out of the snow now, maybe this is the year to get the other one here running :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

You guessed rite Robert!
This row crop just kinda unexpectantly fell into my lap a few weeks ago so we just quick threw it together.
Unfortunately I do know what the row crop tractors are bringing….and it is scary. I heard of two others that got shipped back to the UK that went for the bargain price of $10,000.00 each, and I’m assuming they were unrestored. I didn’t get a whole row crop tractor, just the front end, which by all rights IS the row crop tractor, but this set up is what has been brewing in my head for some time now. I just have to be carful not to break anything.
Luckily I have a tig welder so the plan was to weld more aluminum on the pan to get it down and over the bell housing holes, and then to weld a few ribs along the bottom up to the oil sump for additional strength.

And I better set the record straight rite now before I get into any trouble. While growing up on her dad’s farm, granny’s favorite tractor was her dads Oliver 77 row crop. One day granny and I were thumbing through some pictures of Majors and stumbled upon a row crop, she immediately told me that if I ever put a Major together for her that’s what she wanted………so the deal is done, this is granny’s tractor.

Pat

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Pat
One thing I seem to notice is you always seem to find a good reason to justify another tractor joining the fleet :wink: . Mine is i want it and can nearly afford it, but it's there so I'm having it :lol: .
I hope Granny likes her hot rod tractor :) I would love a tig but really can't justify the cost of it. I been looking into a cheap mig and just setting it up for aluminium without the spool gun . some guys are doing it ok on Youtube. Nothing I want to weld is that small i need tig really. Might even buy a bigger mig spool gun compatible Hobart have some on offer round here sometimes.
Keep us posted on the updates, Maybe we need a picture of granny with her tractor :idea: .

As to the worth of a tractor in the U.K it is scary, Got bid $3000 each on the P6's Had to be complete with all the goodies, run and drive in the container. told the guy they wouldn't be for sale if he came back with the other $4000 to go with the $3000 for that condition. they can be worth about 10.000 pounds in the u.k for nice restored ones. so roughly $18.000. Mine are here because I want them and the enjoyment doing them, not the money in selling it.. Guess that's the same with you :) .
Regards Robert

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Last night I started to look at how to hook up the radiator hoses and decided to move the nipples on the radiator, this will keep me from having to cross over the lower hose to the opposite side and it will give me 100% cross flow through the core…..I’m thinking this thing will need as much cooling as It can get.
I desoldered the two nipples and removed them, drilled a 1 ½” hole where I wanted them and then used a small ballpeen hammer to roll a lip down until I got a 1 ¾” hole. I then soldered the old nipples into the new holes, just have to stop and pick up two brass frost plugs to solder into the old holes.

Pat

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

BearCreek Majors wrote: but we have never had it up to temp yet, and I was told the Amish were using it on a saw mill, so it probably never got a workout.
Pat
Hey Pat, if it was these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8nyrP8bclI Then it will have had a good workout (There's another steamer on the opposite site of the pulley!)

Sounds like good progress being made,thanks for the Mill i/d, not a make I've encountered across the pond here.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

oehrick wrote:
BearCreek Majors wrote: but we have never had it up to temp yet, and I was told the Amish were using it on a saw mill, so it probably never got a workout.
Pat
Hey Pat, if it was these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8nyrP8bclI Then it will have had a good workout (There's another steamer on the opposite site of the pulley!)

Sounds like good progress being made,thanks for the Mill i/d, not a make I've encountered across the pond here.
Hi oehrick
That clip has been on another forum I visit, that bench Shaw makes those engines bark working at that speed :D . They sure aren't hanging about cutting that wood :wink: . Now we got 2 things i don't mind listening to, from 2 very different time periods on Pats discussion :clap: . Pats 2704 ET , and the Amish steamers :D .

Sadly My Granddad never lived long enough to see you tube, But I could guarantee he would of loved to see and listen to those 2 steamers, He had a soft spot for 6 cylinder ford diesels, the same as i do to :D.
Regards Robert

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi Robert

Yes, I've never seen sawing like it, the exhaust coming out in square lumps and that sawyer doesn't need a computer either;) I think those big Walnut trunks would stall even a 6 cylinder Major,something half that size might give a comprehensive de-coke though.

We don't have that type of saw in the UK (well if we did I don't know of one which has survived) I've been really enjoying them on U Tube - The Phillips saw & Box Factory has become another favourite, my main interest in life is stationary steam engines....

My grandfather was a great finder out of things and would have loved the internet - went too early too.

BTW Pat, I saw a pic the other day of a conversion with the wishbone turned round and anchored back to the tombstone - can't remember where but now you've joined the trycycle brigade its doesn't matter............
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

oehrick wrote:Hi Robert

Yes, I've never seen sawing like it, the exhaust coming out in square lumps and that sawyer doesn't need a computer either;) I think those big Walnut trunks would stall even a 6 cylinder Major,something half that size might give a comprehensive de-coke though.

We don't have that type of saw in the UK (well if we did I don't know of one which has survived) I've been really enjoying them on U Tube - The Phillips saw & Box Factory has become another favourite, my main interest in life is stationary steam engines....

My grandfather was a great finder out of things and would have loved the internet - went too early too.

BTW Pat, I saw a pic the other day of a conversion with the wishbone turned round and anchored back to the tombstone - can't remember where but now you've joined the trycycle brigade its doesn't matter............
Hi
seen the box factory as well thats pretty cool to :D . I am probably as English as you are :wink: been in Canada 14 years this October :D . I have never seen a bench like that in the U.k either. The other forum said that was heavily modified for this job but think the base is pretty standard. I guess health and safety would take a dump at this running in the U.K. standards here are a lot lower at shows , you can get right up to a lot of equipment, and it's your fault if you get hurt. not many fences round stuff here at shows :eyes: .
Well I guess I'm hogging Pats topic so gonna head back in my corner and shut up for a bit :run: , Catch you around again sometime :)
Regards Robert

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Yes the video of the Amish saw mill is quite impressive, those boys know what they are doing! Probably not everyone has the opportunity to the exposure of the steam engines that we do, but I do believe any gearhead has the basic instinct to be able to watch a steam engine run for hours on end, there is something memorizing about it.
I got the radiator done last night, made a rear mount for the generator, got it mounted and stuck a lower radiator hose on it. Not much clearance around the hose but everything fits and it’s nice and clean looking.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

We did a bunch of work to the Power Major again this weekend. I finally made a good tie rod from two off an old Gleaner combine, as the ball joints were to small I had to make some tapered bushings as well. we also got all the radiator hoses installed, a fan, V belt, and got some antifreeze in it. we started it up and moved some stuff around the yard and just played with it a little to see how everything was going to work, and found a few problems rite away. first problem is it looks like this motor is bad, after we got it outside and running it seemed to get noisy, after a while we realized the thermostat wasn't opening, replaced it, and it then came up to temp and circulated through the radiator. But it looks like this thing was run hot and that's why it ended up in the scrapyard, it never quit smoking, would limp real bad on a cylinder or two, and eventually began pushing oil out the exhaust, (this could also be a bad seal in the turbo). we are still running it but we will probably do a compression test on it soon to see what is happening. If it ends up being bad the extra 6D from the Super Six will go in it, and most likely with that turbo setup.
Soon after we got it running we realized we had no hydraulics ether, then we realized that the lid was not bolted down tight, after we popped it off we realized there was no pump in it at all! I have no more spares as the 54 got the last one, so we ran over to one of the neighbors that has a major out behind the barn that is little more than a pile of bare casting, but the pump was still in it and looks good. we now have it installed but I still need to braze up the cover that holds the screen up in place, these quite commonly freeze hard enough here to crack them, I have several of them that are split and busted up.
We also broke down the rear tires to put on some better ones, cleaned up the inside of the rims and used up several old rattle cans of spray paint on them, we just have to put the wheels on after the pant dries a little.

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Looking good so far Pat ! :clap: I had the same problems with the hydraulic pumps freezing also, If you need a pump in the future and can't source one let me know, I can probably help you out :thumbs:

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:We did a bunch of work to the Power Major again this weekend. I finally made a good tie rod from two off an old Gleaner combine, as the ball joints were to small I had to make some tapered bushings as well. we also got all the radiator hoses installed, a fan, V belt, and got some antifreeze in it. we started it up and moved some stuff around the yard and just played with it a little to see how everything was going to work, and found a few problems rite away. first problem is it looks like this motor is bad, after we got it outside and running it seemed to get noisy, after a while we realized the thermostat wasn't opening, replaced it, and it then came up to temp and circulated through the radiator. But it looks like this thing was run hot and that's why it ended up in the scrapyard, it never quit smoking, would limp real bad on a cylinder or two, and eventually began pushing oil out the exhaust, (this could also be a bad seal in the turbo). we are still running it but we will probably do a compression test on it soon to see what is happening. If it ends up being bad the extra 6D from the Super Six will go in it, and most likely with that turbo setup.
Soon after we got it running we realized we had no hydraulics ether, then we realized that the lid was not bolted down tight, after we popped it off we realized there was no pump in it at all! I have no more spares as the 54 got the last one, so we ran over to one of the neighbors that has a major out behind the barn that is little more than a pile of bare casting, but the pump was still in it and looks good. we now have it installed but I still need to braze up the cover that holds the screen up in place, these quite commonly freeze hard enough here to crack them, I have several of them that are split and busted up.
We also broke down the rear tires to put on some better ones, cleaned up the inside of the rims and used up several old rattle cans of spray paint on them, we just have to put the wheels on after the pant dries a little.

Do you have any problems with the front wheels? It looks like they're pretty close to the "tombstone"

For me , that was a brilliant, and interesting idea! The thing is, the 6-cylinder engine would give you plenty of revs, and more speed. But because of the tricycle front wheel setup, you cant use all of it for "some" safety reasons. That means you would commonly spend you time in that tractor doing thing that require slow speed such as, ploughing, cultivating and pulling stuck john deeres and masseys!

The only downside I can think is, now the County Super 6 isn't your most powerful tractor!! :(

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:We did a bunch of work to the Power Major again this weekend. I finally made a good tie rod from two off an old Gleaner combine, as the ball joints were to small I had to make some tapered bushings as well. we also got all the radiator hoses installed, a fan, V belt, and got some antifreeze in it. we started it up and moved some stuff around the yard and just played with it a little to see how everything was going to work, and found a few problems rite away. first problem is it looks like this motor is bad, after we got it outside and running it seemed to get noisy, after a while we realized the thermostat wasn't opening, replaced it, and it then came up to temp and circulated through the radiator. But it looks like this thing was run hot and that's why it ended up in the scrapyard, it never quit smoking, would limp real bad on a cylinder or two, and eventually began pushing oil out the exhaust, (this could also be a bad seal in the turbo). we are still running it but we will probably do a compression test on it soon to see what is happening. If it ends up being bad the extra 6D from the Super Six will go in it, and most likely with that turbo setup.

Do you have any problems with the front wheels? It looks like they're pretty close to the "tombstone"

For me , that was a brilliant, and interesting idea! The thing is, the 6-cylinder engine would give you plenty of revs, and more speed. But because of the tricycle front wheel setup, you cant use all of it for "some" safety reasons. That means you would commonly spend you time in that tractor doing thing that require slow speed such as, ploughing, cultivating and pulling stuck john deeres and masseys!

The only downside I can think of is, now the County Super 6 isn't your most powerful tractor!! :(

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Yes the front wheels are very close, I stole these off the front of my 5000 Super as they have good tread and I had the weights inside of them. I will most likely try to find a good set that are a little smaller.
Driving and using a tricycle is not as dangerous as it may seem, around these parts they were commonplace, their mainstay being cultivating as they could be turned around sharply at the end of the rows. And of course that was back when most no one had any equipment bigger than 4 rows. The neighbor I worked for when I was a kid had a 3020 John Deer tricycle that we used for most every chore around the farm, it was too small for plowing and tillage but was used for most everything else. You just had to use your brain and not turn sharp at high speeds, after the first time or two of having a rear tire come off the ground a little, your ass puckers up and you don’t do that again.

The county six may no longer be the most powerful but Ill bet it still goes through more mud!

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Oh, I've just worked out another downside. The tricycle front was easier to get bogged down the mud and was a lot harder to pull out of in case it was bogged down. And because of the clearance of the front wheels to the "tombstone" the front wheels were most likely to get jammed in case you're driving it through something like, muddy clay soil.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hi guys, we've been busy as hell over here, still finishing up grannies bathroom, I swear this room is going to take me two years to finish! Marc and I have been working on the Power Major a little hear and there but need to step it up as plow day at Uncle Vic's is this next weekend.
We got the rear tires changed, new 5.50X16 on the front (the correct size for the row crops) weights on all four tires and Marc made a new weight bracket for the front as well. when we tried the hydraulics the first time we discovered someone had robed the pump from it. we installed a good used one and now have the relief valve set at 2600psi. we made up some three point arms and linkage from a bunch of left over broken and rusted tight parts , but now have them welded properly where needed and everything loose and usable again. We also changed the entire hitch assembly as this one had been highly modified, welded on, and missing parts. I wanted to stay with the Power Major fuel pump, filter, lines, etc just to make it look as stock as possible. the fuel pump works on the 6D but I had to make a adapter plate to close up the bigger hole in the block. We stuck a temporary air filter on it and made a exhaust pipe for it yesterday as well. I'd like to make a hood for it yet this week but I'm thinking we need to split it and change out the clutch springs quick, yesterday when I started out in high gear the engine walked through the clutch without even trying.

Pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqYe3_89Jmk

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Now, with that exhaust pipe, the six cylinder turbocharged engine could be known and recognized by anyone even if it's miles away!

Are you going to use it at the ploughing day? Because I think there would be a problem if you will be using the Super 6 as well, and that is, finding a larger plough for it, because, of course, the Super 6 will be using the 4-furrow Kverneland ( I just don't know how to pronounce the name Kverneland even though I knew ho to spell it).

And , in case there were some high horsepower row crop tractors in the plough day like Case, John Deere, or others, I'm absolutely sure that Fordson "6CylinderPower Major" would outperform any of them!

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

You were rite, the 6cylinder Power Major out performed all of them!
Firstly, it looks like the engine is good, after we ran it for a while the smoke cleared up and it ran great all day, we'll see if it smokes this morning when we start it, maybe it just needs some injector work.
Secondly, I found out plowing with a 150hp row crop sucks!, I think my arms are going to be sore for a week, we had a 3-16 bottom plow behind it, I could plow in second gear and when I got a clear open spot I would grab high range and hang on....and pray I didn't hit a big rock!
The 4 bottom Kvernland will only work on the Super six as the Majors cant even pick it up with the three point. so after a while plowing with the three bottom the kids talked me into hooking onto Uncle Vicks good 4 bottom semi mounted JD plow. we got it out in the field and made one pass with it but not very successfully, Just to damn light for a plow that size. When I had the throttle opened up, if it started to spin it would just dig itself in before I could react fast enough and pick the plow up, by then it was to late and I would have to pick up both ends, back out of the ruts, and then take another run at it. Afterwards the boys told me that it wasn't a 4-16 but a 4-18 plow, and it was a walk in the park for the engine, It never blew out any black smoke the entire day.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Maybe we will pull the Power Major this next weekend, Marc was over yesterday and we got a bunch of work done to it.
I forgot to mention that before we went plowing at Uncle Vics we had split it apart to fix the clutch problem, I found it was full of oil but we installed heavier springs in it anyway when we put it back together.
One of the things row crops are famous for is the “wobble of death”, if there is any slack in the steering system the wheels will sometimes start to wobble back and forth at a speed on force that is imposable to control, normal this will happen when going down the road at full throttle and it tends to make your sphincter tighten up while loosing muscle control of your urinary track. Needles to say the Power Major made me aware of the slop in its steering, I just had to tighten up a few things and make a new shim to set the backlash on the gears.
We also got a hood made for it yesterday, I'll try to get it cleaned up and at least all one color of primer today.

Pat