What Axle Did Roadless Use On Dexta And 3000?

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
redgiant
Not Quite Blue Yet

What Axle Did Roadless Use On Dexta And 3000?

Post by redgiant »

Were they also a GMC axle? I'd love to own a real bona fide Roadless but I doubt I'll ever have the money :shock: Maybe I could find the same type axle and make my own. Any info would be much appreciated

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: What Axle Did Roadless Use On Dexta And 3000?

Post by Brian »

By the time the Dexta and 3000 were introduced the axle was either a Roadless one or a Schlinder. Most of the GMC based axles went on the early Roadless.

As you can see from this picture, the Dexta and 3000 axle were of a different design.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

redgiant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by redgiant »

Thanks for the reply. It sure looks similar to the Schindler axles they put on MF 135s. What are the chances of finding an axle? Not great I'd say :cry:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Would think it is the same axle as the MF 135. Ratio could be different.

I would think they are nearly impossible to find and, if found, be prepared to mortgage your wife! :cry: :cry: The last one I saw being offered was £10,000 for just the axle. A complete tractor has been sold for £27,000 at auction. Both these had Roadless documentation.

There is a company in Wales that puts a Land Rover front axle on the tractors but I was not impressed with the workmanship.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Brian, what or where is the Manuel connection? my Selene has this on the cover as well.

redgiant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by redgiant »

Hmmmm.... okay. Well what other 4 wheel drive axles are out there if you wanted to do a conversion? Land Rover obviously, but would they be strong enough to cope with the torque loading? Any others?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Pat,

Manuel was the name of the son of Signor Selene (or Signor Segre) who was converting GMC axles to fit E27Ns. Selene was importing and selling second hand tractors in Italy and when the E1A came out they needed a marketing ploy to get rid of a big stock of the older tractors. All the early Roadless had it on the dif. housing. Later axles were either of Roadless's own design or Schlindler so did not carry on the name.

About the torque/hp loading of the axle, the Land Rover axle should cope well. The power to the front axle is usually limited to around 15% of the power available by means of a torque limiter clutch. That is why a Roadless tractor is known as a Front Wheel Assist rather than a true FWD like a County which takes its front wheel drive from the bull pinions or axle shafts.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Thanks Brian, I have always wondered what the connection was but never knew!

Pat

Happy Fathers Day to everyone!

Wolfi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wolfi »

I am contacting you , because I have a conversation Kit from Selene and roadless also bought parts from Selene.
So, my hope is you can help me to find manuals, official paper, assembly instructions or something like that.
Only when I have this I get official Papers in Germany.
Hopefully you can help me or do you know someone, who I can contact.
Or can you find with the below numbers something in your system?

Best regards,
Wolfgang

Wolfi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wolfi »

I am contacting you , because I have a conversation Kit from Selene and roadless also bought parts from Selene.
So, my hope is you can help me to find manuals, official paper, assembly instructions or something like that.
Only when I have this I get official Papers in Germany.
Hopefully you can help me or do you know someone, who I can contact.
Or can you find with the below numbers something in your system?

Best regards,
Wolfgang

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You'll find something in the FFCN here I think.
Sandy
ImageImageImage