30" wheels

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
woodcutter
True Blue

30" wheels

Post by woodcutter »

Hi all I've got a set of 30" wheels to go on a six cylinder I'm building it's on the cast wheels on front I want to keep the tractor looking level, so just wondering what tyres to fit? Should I put 16.9 30 or could I put 18.4 30 I've got the chance of a pair of the 18.4 30 at a good deal would they be much taller than the standard 36" any advice appreciated

county654
True Blue

Re: 30" wheels

Post by county654 »

Hallo,
the difference in total size is about 7 cm or 3 ".
When you divide it by two the difference in hight of the rear tractor is 1.5" or 3,5 cm. I don´t think that will be visual.
You can try the differenc by parking your tractor on a 1,5 " board.
Here http://www.en.working-tyres.eu/ you can check the different sizes .
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Thanks for that but looking on the net I think my rim might be too narrow for the 18.4 so I think il probably have to go the 16.9 30 although I wanted to go wider I think they might look bulgy if my rim is a bit narrow, hopefully next week I shall get some new tyres mounted cheers all

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Imagea
Wheels fitted now glad to get rid of the old skinny ones a little bit more paint in the summer and tractor will be finished, :D

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Woodcutter
Those tyres look good on her, and she generally looks sharp to :D . Just one question about your conversion, are you going to use it for anything where the front end might come up in the air and land hard when it comes down again like pulling a big trailer or winching :?: . If so from what I can see from your picture you might want to strengthen the side/chassis plates where they hold the front casting on. It looks like you have side support only. Nothing like the original side rails had with them being a channel and fitting over the top and bottom of the front axle/rad support casting.
If you don't have that extra support there, I have seen the same design rails on pullers shear the side rail bolts like a guillotine, then dump the front end right on the ground. it kinda makes a mess of the nose cone, maybe sump/radiator/and steering linkage depending how it lands :cry: . All you would have to do is just weld a couple bits of something along the top and bottom to re create what the original side channels did at that front casting :idea: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I have got short strips of 6mm welded around tombstone and the rails are pretty hefty so fingers crossed it won't end up in a heap of mess on the floor :D I've made some bracing to rear of tractor as well which is as good as I could do without making it to bulky only time will tell if it's strong enough and I've put some plate up side of engine. but I have seen people use them without anything, I will only be using it for general work and a bit of winching more of a toy really :D

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Woodcutter
Thanks for the reply , and glad you figured the extra steel before something failed, as not many guys think about itduring that type of frame rail conversion. The guys I saw where the front snapped kinda looked like right twits in front of the crowd :cry: . It's kinda one of those Oh man I wish the ground would swallow me up or a good time for an alien abduction situation :eyes: :run: :lol: .
Hopefully the way you have done the conversion, all should be good and the tractor will perform well for the next 50 odd years :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.