Can You Still Get The GMC Axle They Used On Roadless Tractor

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
redgiant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Can You Still Get The GMC Axle They Used On Roadless Tractor

Post by redgiant »

I think I read somewhere that it was a very common axle and that it was used on a variety of trucks etc. for a number of years. I'm guessing most of the ones that are still knocking about are in the States? I know it might seem like an utterly mad idea but hey, Roadless tractors are expensive and I want one bad!!

I also see John Bownes sells reconditioned axles. Would these be original Roadless axles or 'new' GMC axles they have converted??

county654
True Blue

Re: Can You Still Get The GMC Axle They Used On Roadless Tra

Post by county654 »

Hallo,
your problem is not the axle, your problem will be the gearbox .
A reconditioned unit should have both.

What would be a good Price for a Roadless Major?

Two or three times a year I seee an offer here in Germany and the surounding countries.
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

redgiant
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Can You Still Get The GMC Axle They Used On Roadless Tra

Post by redgiant »

Well almost none come up for sale in Ireland, so realistically I have to look to the UK. I think I'm right in saying that a Roadless Major could go for anything from £3000 upwards for a poor example. Add to that commission, VAT, transport and converting to Euros and it can work out quite a lot :shock:

The picture I saw of the reconditioned unit was of the axle only, though you make a good point. I would imagine it would be very expensive.

As for the transfer box......I'll pass that hurdle when I get to it. IF I ever get to it!! :D