Thames Powertruc

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
John b
True Blue

Thames Powertruc

Post by John b »

I've only ever seen one of these before but it didn't have a major bonnet on the back
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... lq7Yfe32O6
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Thames Powertruc

Post by Billy26F5 »

I only discovered this a few weeks ago when I found this page full of odd Major uses. This converted 400E shows that there was a Major powered van as well as a lorry.
https://www.flickriver.com/groups/fordi ... teresting/
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Some very interesting vehicles on there! Shows what an amazing engine it is, there weren't too many engines of that era that would run for so long with the abuse and lack of proper maintainance that they suffered
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I have looked very hard and can't find any other engine that has powered so much, as about the only two things it hasn't done are cars and aircraft, but almost all other imaginable industrial road or agricultural machine has it's Major based version!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

There's a couple of old abandoned Ransomes combines in a wood near me with Major industrial engines in them, one is almost complete and the other was robbed for spares. Both engines siezed during use and the farmer finally bought a New Holland and left them to rot about 40 years ago. Also a JCB 3c with a super major engine that went bang but has had the head and various other bits removed. I'll take some pics next time i go up there

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:53 pm
…can't find any other engine that has powered so much, as about the only two things it hasn't done are cars and aircraft…
Sandy
I know of a series 2 Land Rover with a 4D.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Do you happen to have a pic of it? A Land-Rover with a Major engine must be a terrific off-roader and a great PTO provider too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... BZes51b3ov
Would love to see what logo is on the nose cone

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I agree 100%, great to see it still works for a living.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

A few years ago i bought 3 nose cones at a sale, used 1 and sold the other 2. I always wondered why one of them was dark green with what looked like original paint, if they were used on other vehicles i finally have my answer! Don't recall any of them having badges on though

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:03 pm
Do you happen to have a pic of it? A Land-Rover with a Major engine must be a terrific off-roader and a great PTO provider too.
Sandy
References and a couple of photos on the Series 2 Forum.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Old Hywel wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:42 pm
References and a couple of photos on the Series 2 Forum.
I'm afraid I can't find it, I'm not too sure I've looked in the right place yet though.
Sandy
ImageImageImage