Fordson super major hydraulic problem

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
dominik99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson super major hydraulic problem

Post by dominik99 »

Hello everyone my name is Dominic i am 22 years old, i come from Croatia. I am new on this forum and i have a Fordson super major from 1964 that sat many years in shed and i have problem with hydraulics
the problem is when an implement is connected and when i lift it slowly drops a few inches then it slammed to the floor in second but the handle is not mowed or anything else and it wont lift automatically but when i move hydraulic handle just a little bit half a millimeter to raise, it raise like that nothing happened, and so on from the beginning. Im going to post a video for that problem, sorry for my bad English.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson super major hydraulic problem

Post by Billy26F5 »

I recommend you do a thorough inspection of the hydraulics, it seems like something is the wrong way round.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

First thing you should check whether you are in position or in draft control.

Position means height of lift arms corresponding to lever in quadrant position, draft means height is controlled by the top link pressure created by the implement.

Draft control can give strange behaviour.

Best is Reading operators manual first and study the workshop manual to understand how it should work before taking things apart.

Rgds emiel we
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

dominik99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dominik99 »

the draft control is off, clean hydraulic filter, new oil and still the same

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Once worked on a super with a completely worn cam follower. Caused problems as well.

You can find a guide on adjusting hydraulics in the wiki on the main site.

Lifting of the hydraulic cover is not a difficult job, but it is a very heavy part. Lifting equipment is necessary, for me at least.

If the problem is not caused by wear, broken cam follower or other obviously worn parts, problems are probably in one off the valves. Don’t have experience enough with them.

May be you should test the pressure relieve valve first.

Regards emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

When you lift the top cover ensure it's perfectly parallel to the rear axle casting while you lift it to avoid breaking the feed and return pipe bracket. Once you have the cover off inspect all parts thoroughly, if you post pics of them you can get other opinions on their condition.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

dominik99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dominik99 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD40F_FJIt0 here is it thats is the problem slowly dropping then suddenly drops in second

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Start by seeing the manual here:
http://www.fordson.se/6A_Hydraul_Suplem ... 01-024.pdf
http://www.fordson.se/6B_Hydraul_Suplem ... 25-050.pdf
I've seen both of your problem videos, and you seem to have two different problems at once. You need to say in what position you have the selector lever in each case so you can then see what depth control linkage is in operation, only then can we start to be closer to what is actually wrong. It is an odd problem, but in the second video you seem to have it working ok but with considreable internal leaking (hence the bobbing action). I'm thinking you're in qualitrol in the first video (selector lever up), as when it does lift it lifts all the way up, and will then when you move the main lever down a bit it lowers the implement until there is draught on the top link, in other words the implement is on the ground. In position control (selector lever down) you should be able to set a position in relation to the main lever position. Do note the NP Super Major hydraulics are quite different from previous Super Major ones, you can tell which is which by the yoke where the top link rocker attaches and the drop control valve next to the pressure relief valve.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

dominik99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dominik99 »

selector lever is on controlled position (draft control off)
the second video is i can"t control rising up or its down, half way which falls to the ground or on top i cant control which height i want
thanks for the guide :beer:
tomorrow i will disassemble hydraulic cover and sent pictures
i want to solve hydraulic first and swap an 6 cylinder on fordson :D

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It sounds like the hydraulics are actually working in qualitrol, before you remove the top cover try the hydraulics in qualitrol. If they operate in a similar manner it suggests the selecting mechanism is damaged.
I recommend you try to find a six of a similar age to your Super Major, as you'll then have an easier job to get everything to fit, you'll also need to find or make the sump, as the tractor 6 cylinder sump is rare and expensive.
Sandy
ImageImageImage