Lucas starter wirering diagram

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Frans
True Blue

Lucas starter wirering diagram

Post by Frans »

Does anybody have a picture ore a wirering diagram of a lucas starter for a 590e engine I am trying to fire the engine up but the only thing i hear is TIK TIK from the starter relais I think I am missing something but I dont know what (yet)
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi What type of lucas starter is it The one like the major has with the lever activated engagement, or the one like the later ford tractors with the solenoid on top that engages with the key?.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Its an electric starter Pascal called it a dorset ? starter so it starts wit a key or button

Will try this evening again
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Ok so the soleniod is mounted on the top of the starter motor. It has 2 large terminals 1 is connected back into the starter motor internals by either a wire or copper piece this should be from factory. the other is the power feed from Battery positive terminal (+ if using negative earth system). There should then be either a small male spade terminal for a push on electrical terminal, or a short treaded terminal post that is about 10-15mm long and 3- 5mm diameter that is the wire from the key or switch to work the solenoid.
It sounds to me like the solenoid is stuck if you have good battery power and earth with correct wireing if you get a click. you could try turning the key or the start switch until it Clicks then hit the metal centre part of the solenoid with a hammer while holding the key or switch to start position . this may free the solenoid and engage the motor . I have done this loads of times but if it starts and the problem continues you will need a new soleniod.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THIS PLEASE MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS OUT OF GEAR AS IF IT STARTS IN GEAR IT WILL RUN YOU OVER OR GET SOMEBODY TO HELP YOU BY SITTING IN THE SEAT .
The other thing i would just try if it still clicks and wont start is put power to the wire that goes into the internals of starter motor without going through the solenoid. Use a jumper cable and see if the motor turns as it could be the starter motor is also stuck and the solenoid power is not turning it.
Hope this helps you .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Thanks Robert and Pascal,

I was missing a wire and its turning around.
I did not started her up but will be this weekend hopes she runs like before
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

That's some good news, Frans!
Looking forward to hear your tractor run! A (small) flick on this forum would be great! :D
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.