First Tractor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Fordman
Not Quite Blue Yet

First Tractor

Post by Fordman »

Hello All, What a great site you have built here! Very informative.
I recently bought my first tractor, a Fordson Power Major or New Major mark lll? I have looked at the serial number translator page and still have questions. On the 4 cylinder diesel head it is stamped 1503462, and on the small plate on the firewall by the battery it says 1473672. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance. Fordman

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Your engine has most likely been swapped out for a newer unit... welcome to the board, most likely Brian will answer this question more thoroughly than I do but on the other hand, he's among the gods of Fordson and I'm a simple plebian ;)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Fordman
Not Quite Blue Yet

First tractor

Post by Fordman »

Thank you Foxen! That was a very fast reply. I should use the 1473672 to tell what tractor I have then right? So then I suppose I own a 1473672: May 1958
New Fordson Major Mark II? is this a Power Major?

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Welcome Fordman. I believe you are from my side of the world. With this site I have been able to get my Power Major up and running. The # on your engine indicates 1959. I have a 1959 Power Major, look at some of the pictures I have put on here and see if it looks like yours. I also have a 1957 Major I have for parts, some pictures of it are also on here. Are your gauges on top of your fuel tank or down under the fuel tank where the shifter is located? Pictures will help and as Foxen says Brian is one of the best and can help you.
Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Fordman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordman »

Hello Gman! I am only about a thousand miles from you! A short distance compared to most of the users I have seen on this forum. My tractor is in great shape and runs real good, it has fresh blue paint and came with a scraper and a loader that I am trying to figure out how to put on. The gauges are not on the tank, they are down below. Is a New Major Mark ll the same as a Power Major? I dont know much about these yet. I will post pictures of it later today. The Loader is a Davis. Model 102

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Fordman wrote:Hello Gman! I am only about a thousand miles from you! A short distance compared to most of the users I have seen on this forum. My tractor is in great shape and runs real good, it has fresh blue paint and came with a scraper and a loader that I am trying to figure out how to put on. The gauges are not on the tank, they are down below. Is a New Major Mark ll the same as a Power Major? I dont know much about these yet. I will post pictures of it later today. The Loader is a Davis. Model 102
A New Major Mark II is the predecessor to the Power Major...

The power and super majors are distinguishable by the gauges on top of the fuel tank, and the super major is distinguishable from the power major by it's different hydraulics and it's disc brakes... essentially ;)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Fordman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordman »

Thank you Foxen! I am learning alot about these tractors rapidly thanks to you all!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi again, take a look on page 2 on my post "please look and advice". This is a 1957 Major I bought for parts, it should look a lot like yours, well except mine is in parts. Click on one of the pictures and it will take you to imageshack, this is a good site to use for your pictures. I believe you can see all my pictures on there if you go to that site from here. Also another good site is the New Holland site and also try www.messicks.com. You can pull parts list with pictures of parts, you can also print them out.
Gman: 1959 Power Major