Oil filter and agriline stuff

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Foxen
True Blue

Oil filter and agriline stuff

Post by Foxen »

Not finding anything while searching and the spare parts catalogue doesn't actually tell me anything useful so I'll ask here instead...

The oil filter element, which type am I most likely to have(or rather, how do I see the difference without undoing it?) if my engine is a september 1961 super major engine?
Last edited by Foxen on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

No replies at all? Bummer... Does the filter housing look different between the two models or are they looking the same? I'm assembling a wishlist from agriline and thought I'd get a new oil filter amongst other things... and btw, does anyone know if agriline's manifold studs(that are depicted with nuts) include the brass nuts or I have to order them separately? I need a new manifold, my old one's cracked and quite "thin" so I am going to order that one aswell... are they any good?
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi I will try and get you measurments of the filter/ housings tomorrow(Saturday at time of reply it is friday 10.22pm in Canada ) . I do not know about the quality of the manifolds some of the repro stuff is junk maybe somebody else can answer that one. I guess the nuts are included from what i was told by a customer. I would check to make sure his info has been wrong before! . you only need 3 sets. I had a bit of a discussion with This customer that told me he needed them to hold his manifold to the head as some body had replaced them with bolts. This is not correct the bolts are factory standard . The stud and nut only hold the exhaust elbow to the manifold.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Foxen wrote:No replies at all? Bummer... Does the filter housing look different between the two models or are they looking the same? I'm assembling a wishlist from agriline and thought I'd get a new oil filter amongst other things... and btw, does anyone know if agriline's manifold studs(that are depicted with nuts) include the brass nuts or I have to order them separately? I need a new manifold, my old one's cracked and quite "thin" so I am going to order that one aswell... are they any good?
How do Fella, You could try something like the Fram Filter web site. They list all the applications there is and they cross referance to other manufactures. Seem to think it's something like a
Fram CH813PL. Have fun . Jim

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Thanks for the replies, I know the manifolds are held in place with bolts and not studs, but I'd like to attach the elbow with fashion, using aforementioned studs and brass nuts :)

About the manifold I can hardly think that a repro even of half-poor quality could be worse than the one I have now as it's paper-thin in areas and it's cracked(both a long horizontal crack and the inner ear for the manifold stud is cracked off), the manifold gaskets from agriline, do they come in pairs?

Thanks for the info about FRAM having a replacement filter, the problem is that I just don't know which filter element I have ;)
Awaiting your reply super6954...

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Ok I Just looked at 2 motors i have In Tractors the old major has the long filter and the powers & supers have the short.

I took the measurement from the bottom of the lip where the cannister fits to the aluminium top housing down to the line at the bottom of the cannister where the end starts to tapper in( the staight sides of the cannister). This was the most accurate point for me to measure the difference and should be the same for you without taking it apart.
The long type filter cannister is 5 3/4 " Agriline part no 5113
The short type filter cannister is 4 1/2" Agriline part no 5119
If your tractor has the original engine you should need the short type filter.
The problem with the repro parts can be that they dont fit as good as the original parts and can need to be altered to get them on. so i would ask if anybody has fitted them on this forum to see how good it went on.
I just checked on the agriline site to get the filter numbers it looks to me like the manifold stud and nut are seperate and my customer may have been wrong and the gaskets are in pairs.
I think i would email them and ask what you would like to know as it may save you time and money in the end. sometimes the web site is not that clear on what you are buying.
Hope that helps
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

super6954 wrote:Ok I Just looked at 2 motors i have In Tractors the old major has the long filter and the powers & supers have the short.

I took the measurement from the bottom of the lip where the cannister fits to the aluminium top housing down to the line at the bottom of the cannister where the end starts to tapper in( the staight sides of the cannister). This was the most accurate point for me to measure the difference and should be the same for you without taking it apart.
The long type filter cannister is 5 3/4 " Agriline part no 5113
The short type filter cannister is 4 1/2" Agriline part no 5119
If your tractor has the original engine you should need the short type filter.
The problem with the repro parts can be that they dont fit as good as the original parts and can need to be altered to get them on. so i would ask if anybody has fitted them on this forum to see how good it went on.
I just checked on the agriline site to get the filter numbers it looks to me like the manifold stud and nut are seperate and my customer may have been wrong and the gaskets are in pairs.
I think i would email them and ask what you would like to know as it may save you time and money in the end. sometimes the web site is not that clear on what you are buying.
Hope that helps
Regards Robert
Thanks Robert!
I actually already mailed them about the manifold studs and nuts, will measure the oil filter enclosure next time I'm near the tractor, haven't had time to fiddle around with it today, dad had work for me and the lily :D

I've been rummaging around with an old C-tine harrow and a drill... fun fun fun :D

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I can't speak for repro Major manifolds but I bought a Dexta manifold from Agriline. I wasn't happy with the first one as the exhaust ports were half blocked off. However they sent me another FOC which was OK.

Having said that the original Fordson manifolds were of distinctly variable wall thickness.

It's always worth trying Malcolm Hipperson who may have a good original manifold: malcolmhipperson@aol.com

He is a genuine tractor guy who does new and 2nd hand parts. Most of his stuff is good and if you're not happy, money back is no prob. Knowledgeable, helpful and cheaper than most.

All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Well... I live in Sweden, and as said... the repro manifold can't be worse than the cracked one I have(it's so thin where the crack is that it can't be welded and the inner ear for the lug is gone), I'll take my chances anyway and post the results here, I was lucky with the tractormeter, it works good, the chrome ring looks like the one on the original temp/oil/gen clock tho but that's the most visible difference and not one that bothers me since I now have a readout of my rpms again :)

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

i bought a repro manifold and elbow for my 54 diesel major from ebay, and it was very good i thought!

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

I told agriline that they didnt have the measurements for the two oil on their website about 4 weeks ago, they updated it straight away so you can now tell if u need the long or short one :)

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

According to the info I got I'll be needing the short one, and agriline also mailed me about the manifold studs, they do come with nuts... and the manifold gaskets are sold as a pair, so... me = in heaven :D