Major starting problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
icom102
True Blue

Major starting problem

Post by icom102 »

I stopped my major the other night i went back to it today and it wont start its just turning over and over there is diesel in it i loosened one of the injector pipes off and when turning the engine diesel comes out thow not a great amount i am not sure if its enough has anyone any ideas?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Does it smoke? If no then you are not getting enough fuel. Check filters and the one in the fuel tap.

Try a SMALL amount of ether/starting fluid. If she starts with that then stops - fuel problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

she dont smoke thow there does be a we puff of some from the air intake where wud u put the starting fluid?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

In the air intake. But use only a little. I noticed above you were looking for an air cleaner. Is yours missing? Or just pluged? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Hi the air cleaner is missing

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Tried a drop of easy start she seemed to fire up for well a very short time so i guess its a fuel issue?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, but you will need to get an aircleaner ASAP. Because you have a vacuum governor, it will not control the engine properly without an air cleaner and you could over rev her.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

I am looking for one but its never had one in the 30 odd years he have had it

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Do you mean aircleaner as in the complete oil bath and wire gauze unit ot just some part of it? The engine would be worn out in about a month if used without any form of air cleaner.

Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Yes i mean the whole compleet unit its not been on the tractor in 30 years or so
[img][img]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20 ... G_0864.jpg[/img][/img]

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

How about making a compression test? If it's not had a air cleaner for 30 years I think it's a marvel it would have even started when you got it... I'd never start anything without an air cleaner since I ran my moped without one some 18 years ago and wore down the cylinder in about two months... That's about how serious this is...
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Its been in our family for 30 odd years and always started how do u do a compression test ?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

like brian said. if theres no white smoke when you crank it, then its not getting fuel, and if it runs with easy start, then you have compression. I would also get an aircleaner as soon as you can, however it looks though you havent got a bulkhead either that separates where the battery is to the engine. Maybe you could find one thats scrap and raid it for bits?
To get it going again, check the fuel bowl isnt full up of sediment, and check the main fuel filter and fuel tap arent blocked, clean them out, bleed the system fully, and then try it again.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Maybe you have a stuck control rod/rack in the fuel pump, some of the symptons sound like what I had when mine would not start. There is a post on here on how I freed it up. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

yes, this also could be the problem :oops: but would that only happen if it had been sitting a while? unless i suppose some water got in the fuel

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Nick wrote:yes, this also could be the problem :oops: but would that only happen if it had been sitting a while? unless i suppose some water got in the fuel
My Power Major had sit for some time but it had been back in use and starting ok when this occurred. You can feel the control rod move by moving the fuel cutoff lever at the pump by hand. Move cutoff lever on and off slowly, if you do not feel the rod moving with it then it is easy to fix.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

It was going one day last week two days later i would not start a questain if u take off an injector pipe and turn the engine what kind of flow of deisel sould come out?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

if i take off an injector pipe, diesel squirts about 1.5 meters with quite a strong flow. Try what gman says with the fuel stop switch on the end of the pump first

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Ok i will try that but ours witht he pipe of and turning the engine would only dribble out :(

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Ok on injector pipe one when turning the engine a good bit of deisel comes out pipe two a lesser amount and on 3 and 4 nothing at all anyone got any ideas?

j.myatt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by j.myatt »

i have this problem alot with my major theres fuel coming out of the lines had me stumped take the 8 bolts off side casing on the injector pump and move the governor mine always sticks after a few days of sitting around its should move freely and spring back hope this helps :) you can move the cut off line freely but it wont be moving inside the pump for some reason i found goodluck!

not much can kill a fordson

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

the thing seems to be moving ok i cant see a problem there

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

j.myatt wrote:i have this problem alot with my major theres fuel coming out of the lines had me stumped take the 8 bolts off side casing on the injector pump and move the governor mine always sticks after a few days of sitting around its should move freely and spring back hope this helps :) you can move the cut off line freely but it wont be moving inside the pump for some reason i found goodluck!

not much can kill a fordson
Be careful with taking cover off of pump, any dirt will do damage to your pump. Are you getting a good supply of fuel at the bleed screw on the pump? If not then problem is between tank and pump, start with filter in tank and work your way forward. If good fuel supply at pump then check control rod/rack as stated above. If you push your fuel supply on and then go to the pump and move the fuel cutoff by hand back and forth(on and off) you will feel the control rod/rack and the governor operating, as you move to off postion you will feel the resistance of the control rod and governor. If you do not feel the movement of the control rod and if it feels the same moving it to on as it does moving it to off then it is stuck. I did a post on "stuck control rod" and how easy it is to free up
without removing pump cover. Good luck.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Yes i am getting well what seems to be a good supply from the bleeding nut on the side of the pump also when i pull the engine stop i can see a bar mobing back and forward in side the pump under the four springs the problem seems to be with number one injector pipe of there is a good flow when turning the engine on the second pipe the flow is less and on number 3 and 4 no deisel coming out at all

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

i got a guy to look at the engine tonight he said its elither the injector pump or the injectors but to try the injectors first as there the cheaper of the two what do you guys think?

also are the injectors hard to get out do they just unbolt?