Raised PTO

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

Raised PTO

Post by Gman »

I have read Pascal's wiki on changing to raised pto. What keeps the drive with gear on end in the tractor housing? I was reading repair manual and thought it memtioned some type of retainer for this but looking at drawing of parts looks like the raised pto housing is what keeps it in. I'm going to find an oil seal, NH part # E27N7305A, and have it in hand before removing raised pto from my parts supply. Image Hope all is going great for everyone and good luck on your Fordsons.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Gman,

If I recall well, the houding will keeps the drive with gear in.

Good luck and enjoy your raised pto.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi Pascal. I have looked back at your pictures on the raised pto but do not see the ring that is on mine that covers part of the top right hand bolt that fastens it to rear end of tractor, the one you are not suppose to remove from the pto. This ring seems to have spaces for the other bolts that holds the retainer on. Just wondering if this outside ring is needed, I do not see it in the parts listings I have looked at. Also I may have the fuel connectors you are looking for from the parts I bought.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Gman wrote:Hi Pascal. I have looked back at your pictures on the raised pto but do not see the ring that is on mine that covers part of the top right hand bolt that fastens it to rear end of tractor, the one you are not suppose to remove from the pto. This ring seems to have spaces for the other bolts that holds the retainer on. Just wondering if this outside ring is needed, I do not see it in the parts listings I have looked at. Also I may have the fuel connectors you are looking for from the parts I bought.
Out of curiosity, is this ring of yours attached with four bolts in a "tilted" square pattern or a "straight" square pattern... The pto shroud is attached with four bolts in a "straight" square pattern and the raised pto output shaft bearing retainer is attached to the pto gearbox with four bolts in a "tilted" square pattern...

Anyway, if it's a straight pattern, go ahead and remove the ring and bolts and you should see the retaining bolts underneath... if not, remove them anyway and see if the ring detaches and frees' off the head of the upper right bolt...

straight = left and right side bolts line up horizontally

tilted = the whole thing is rotated 45 degrees, bolts line up cross-wise
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Foxen, I'm not sure but by clicking on my picture above they seem to line up horizontal. The picture is before I cleaned it. I have it off on a table, hope to go home today, clean back of upper portion and put some paint on it before I install. I have pulled shaft also, all bearing and gears seem to be in good shape, we'll see. One question if anyone can help, my repair manual says the top two bolts should have rubber washers, not sure if they are there, any suggestions if I need these?

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Gman wrote:Thanks Foxen, I'm not sure but by clicking on my picture above they seem to line up horizontal. The picture is before I cleaned it. I have it off on a table, hope to go home today, clean back of upper portion and put some paint on it before I install. I have pulled shaft also, all bearing and gears seem to be in good shape, we'll see. One question if anyone can help, my repair manual says the top two bolts should have rubber washers, not sure if they are there, any suggestions if I need these?
I used high quality thick gasket maker on my two upper bolts upon reassembly instead of rubber washers...

That ring is probably the remnants of some kind of pto guard, feel free to remove it...

In order to remove the output shaft retainer from the pto box you put longer 1/2 UNC bolts in the holes that now are used to mount the ring(do this after you've taken out all the other bolts or you'll crack the retainer) and force the retainer off by screwing these bolts in... ;)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Foxen, that makes sense because the ring has some rough edges as if something has been removed. I will try to take a close up picture of it. I believe I will have to replace the seal but decided to put it on first and see if all works and if it slings oil out. Thanks for the tip on getting retainer off.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Gman wrote:Thanks Foxen, that makes sense because the ring has some rough edges as if something has been removed. I will try to take a close up picture of it. I believe I will have to replace the seal but decided to put it on first and see if all works and if it slings oil out. Thanks for the tip on getting retainer off.
You're welcome!
In your stead I'd pull the retainer and output shaft and replace the seal first, I did mine even if it appeared to not leak badly, take a good look at the shaft where the seal seats, if there are any rough burrs or deep scratches these will ruin the seal immediately and must be taken care of, either by building the shaft up and then turning it in a lathe or by using a speedi-sleeve... just my cent ;)

Oh, and when you put the retainer with shaft and new seal back in, do use some good gasket compound around the flange or it'll leak oil here... a small string just around the base of the round shape on the inside of the retainer and a little on the bolts as you torque it back on should do nicely...

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Foxen. I want to be sure about this. I see eight holes in the retainer in the picture on Pascal's wiki. The one I have has all eight bolts but do believe as Foxen says that this outer ring is what is left of a pto guard. Do I just need four bolts to hold retainer onto raised pto housing and is it ok to leave the other four bolt holes empty? I was not able to get picture yesterday but plan to move on with it and put it on this weekend, just trying to get all advice I can. As always everyones help is greatly appreciated.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Gman wrote:Thanks Foxen. I want to be sure about this. I see eight holes in the retainer in the picture on Pascal's wiki. The one I have has all eight bolts but do believe as Foxen says that this outer ring is what is left of a pto guard. Do I just need four bolts to hold retainer onto raised pto housing and is it ok to leave the other four bolt holes empty? I was not able to get picture yesterday but plan to move on with it and put it on this weekend, just trying to get all advice I can. As always everyones help is greatly appreciated.
You just need four bolts to hold the retainer to the housing, the other four holes are for holding a pto guard and to press the retainer out of the housing... if you use them to bolt on a pto guard I'd recommend pretty short bolts as if they are too long they will press against the pto housing and could lead to cracking the retainer...

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Foxen. That explains it. Hopefully I will have it installed in a couple of days.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

The rest of the story on this job. I parked my Power Major on a slope in order to save removing all oil from rear end:Image Atfer removing pto shaftImage On table is raised pto with the a few other parts from the MajorImage. I removed the old piece left from a pto guard and installed on my Power MajorImageImage She shifts and runs smooth and quiet, do not see any oil leaks. I have not used it under any load, hoping to get a slip clutch before using with my bushhog in order to protect the pto system. Thanks for everyones advice on this job, I do believe this is one option that is almost as good as my live pto.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

:clap: :buddies: :beer:

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Congratulations!
Great job.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks everyone.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to everyone. During summer I don't do to much around my place except close to the house because of the bees and hornets. I used my bush hog this past weekend for the first time with the raised pto, it was a great addition to my PM. It was great being able to turn the drive off and still have lift, most of my work is in the woods and it really helps. Only thing is the reduced rpm.
Good luck to all on your projects.

Gman
True Blue

Re: Raised PTO

Post by Gman »

I have been doing some of my work with my bushhog lately in the woods and if you don't have a raised pto keep an eye out for one. It is one of the best options you can add. I feel so much safer now being able to shut down the pto and the spinning blades while you still have lift with the arms. I have to stop and back up a lot with working in the woods and this addition is as great as having the dual clutch. Good luck to all on your projects.
Oh well, just saw my last post and I had already stated the same. I guess memory is going also.

Gman
True Blue

Re: Raised PTO

Post by Gman »

Another one of my old posts that may help someone.