Possible V8 project

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Possible V8 project

Post by Scruff »

Hi,

I have been offered a Ford V8 engine from a Ford Cargo Lorry. I dont know what year or size it is. It is non turbo and comes with flywheel , starter and radiator. How can I tell the size or age?

Has anyone fitted anything like it and if so what sort of job is it? I have restored 2 majors already and am mechanically minded (and up for a challenge!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Scruff.
May all your dreams be blue !

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Buy it and try it ! :)

Will be an interesting project

There was a picture of a Major fitted with a chevy v8 in one of last last months tractor mags, looked very mean with 8 exhaust pipes sticking up!!

Is the bellhousing on the v8 engine the same as the trader/2700 series engines?? if not you will have alot of worked to get it fitted to the major backend properly

Just realised aswell , are you talking petrol or diesel??? either way its going to be very thirsty on fuel, alright for doing the occasional job, but i would say it will be uneconomical if you intend to use it regularly

But like anything, if you have the time,money/facilities and drive to do it anything is possible.

Keep us updated

Mark :)

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

May be Grani is able to help? Check this link http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... .php?t=419
I believe it's from the Finnish Ford club.

Grani posted about it last year.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

Thanks.

After asking around I believe it is a Perkins 540 with FORD embossed on the rocker covers. I cant see the bellhousing as it is part of a corn dryer so has a reduction box at the back hiding it.

I will try and take some piccies of it over the weekend. I'm off to Blandford for the day tomorrow. :D :D

Scruff.
May all your dreams be blue !