County cast items

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
kuutossuperi
Not Quite Blue Yet

County cast items

Post by kuutossuperi »

Hello

I have been thinking of making one super 6-front weight in a local foundry. It is not a simple (or cheap) way to go but I don`t think there are any for sale. I was just wondering where they made these originally? Did county cast them by themself or was it made somewhere else. A grazy thought came that could the place still be in business if they were made by someone else? Could they still have the models? propably not but has anyone ever thought of this?

Anyway my idea was to make the model out of wood (father in-law owns a woodshop so all the tools are available) and try to make as exact copy of the original that is possible. The local foundry told that if they order the model from a castingmodel-expert, it will be somewhere around 5000 euros!!! So I do not care if it take a few days to make one because the saving is quite a lot. All of my friends have declared me officially nuts, but that is nothing new :D

The model has to be cut in half because of the size and weight. It is propably made that way originally too because there is often an uright seam in the weight quite visible. There is also a lot of things that need to be considered in the model but the guys from the foundry have been more than willing to help with this "crazy" project.

I think I heard somewhere that the weight is about 250kg, I s that about right? the material for the casting is about 1e/1kg.

Sami

River
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: County cast items

Post by River »

Sami, you've got great intelligent friends, one will turn up, just as you've commissioned the build,lol.

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

I would do some more looking first, some have been cast before , possibly in Ireland. try to speak to Robb Morgan on 01588 672390, he is a county spares man.
Regards Sandy

kuutossuperi
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kuutossuperi »

Hello

There was a super six front weight for sale in TADLEY, Hampshire. the beginning price was 1000 pounds. Quite expensive but I think it would cost more to make one. If the selling price would be something reasonable, would someone have an idea what company would ship this to Finland with a reasonable price?

Sami